PowerSport pads and rotors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Kevin.Cook

PowerSport pads and rotors

So I am browsing new brakes for the 2011. I don't want anything really fancy or an expensive big brake kit. I found a company called Brake Labs/Power Sport? I compared their items to PowerStop and it looks comparable? But does anyone have information on them?

They have drilled and slotted rotors also.

But this is what I saw:

https://www.brakelabs.com/shopping_c...eplacement-kit

Plus they have 12% off going on right now. And they have free shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Go to R1 Concepts. Ive had good luck with their stuff.
R1 Concepts Car Brake Rotor Disc - OEM Rotors, Slotted Rotors, Cross Drilled Rotor, Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Brake Pads, & Brake Kits
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Kevin.Cook

I took a peek at those but wanted to try something different in the end to give the community more options if this items proves to be good.

As it is a cost effective solution for a whole kit. I spend $223 in the end for a whole drilled and slotted kit of 4 rotors and ceramic brake pads all around. The rotors are also Zinc (?) plated. So just like the PowerStops, they won't rust. So that is $150 less then the PowerStop kit from AM. Not stepping on AM's toes. Just want to open the door to more options for everyone. And shipping was free.

30 day warranty on pads. 1 year warranty on rotors. Guaranteed fitment or you can return them.

The package they shipped is 72 lbs. Whereas when I got the Powerstop kit from AM, it was 78 lbs. So hopefully the lighter mass is another bonus.

Once I get my car back from the body shop I will install these and let everyone know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Went to check these out Kevin and the drop down menus only show fitment options for Audi.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Maybe clean your browser cache. Which browser are you using? If using IE, try maybe Chrome or Firefox.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Went to check these out Kevin and the drop down menus only show fitment options for Audi.
Same for me when I clicked on 2014 models. However, when clicking on 2013 and older, Mustangs are included.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Well i was browsing for my 2011 so maybe that is why i didnt see what you guys were talking about. I am pretty sure these are the same for 11-14 so you all should be ok with buying for 2013 or so. I would assume...
Old 09-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I took a peek at those but wanted to try something different in the end to give the community more options if this items proves to be good.

As it is a cost effective solution for a whole kit. I spend $223 in the end for a whole drilled and slotted kit of 4 rotors and ceramic brake pads all around. The rotors are also Zinc (?) plated. So just like the PowerStops, they won't rust. So that is $150 less then the PowerStop kit from AM. Not stepping on AM's toes. Just want to open the door to more options for everyone. And shipping was free.

30 day warranty on pads. 1 year warranty on rotors. Guaranteed fitment or you can return them.

The package they shipped is 72 lbs. Whereas when I got the Powerstop kit from AM, it was 78 lbs. So hopefully the lighter mass is another bonus.

Once I get my car back from the body shop I will install these and let everyone know how it goes.
Maybe I'm missing it but whose kit did you buy for the $223

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Although their brake kits ARE cheap on their website, I found them a hair cheaper on eBay. It is still the entire kit. But I am big on trying to get my feedback up on eBay so I wanted to capitalize on it.

The kit is still from Brake Labs. Guess you can say I cheated XD
Old 09-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Although their brake kits ARE cheap on their website, I found them a hair cheaper on eBay. It is still the entire kit. But I am big on trying to get my feedback up on eBay so I wanted to capitalize on it.

The kit is still from Brake Labs. Guess you can say I cheated XD
Can you link the set you got from eBay

Old 09-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

This should be it... Brake Rotors Full Kit Powersport Drill Slot Pads Ford Mustang 11 12 3 7L V6 | eBay
Old 09-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you sir. I have to tell you. That is one hell of a price for the entire kit. That is for the front , rear and pads. Dang. Wonder how the quality compares to the AM power stop set?

Old 09-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

I know! I will be the guinea pig to test it out....once the people fix the paint on my car :/

Could still be a couple more weeks or so. They should probably be delivered by the end of this week. So i will do a quick review of how their quality is and post some pics. At least I can get that up while we wait for the install.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

I also did a cheap a** brake fluid change on my 2014. I only had a few dollars to spend and wasn't interested in an entire flush/bleed. But my brake pedal was getting spongy. Even with newer pads and rotors.

So i siphoned out what was in the master cylinder. (Fluid looked amber/dark yellow) Put new fluid in. Turned the car and and pumped the brakes a few times. Siphoned the fluid back out and refilled it again with new fluid.

Now my brake pedal is firm like when I first bought the car. $10 and 10 minutes. Lol

And no, i didn't get air in the brake system.

Probably get flamed for this but idc. It was cheap, not time consuming, and had good results.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know! I will be the guinea pig to test it out....once the people fix the paint on my car :/

Could still be a couple more weeks or so. They should probably be delivered by the end of this week. So i will do a quick review of how their quality is and post some pics. At least I can get that up while we wait for the install.
Honestly, how much worse could they be from a performance standpoint compared to the power stop from AM. Its really my understanding that slotted rotates are more of a cosmedic mod than anything.

I do believe having cramic brake pads does cause far less brake dust over the factory non ceramic pads.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #16
Kevin.Cook

True. I don't see them as super great pads and rotors. They are just for the daily driver who wants a little flash. And they do their job in everyday driving.

If they turn out to be good...with that price, they will become very desirable.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True. I don't see them as super great pads and rotors. They are just for the daily driver who wants a little flash. And they do their job in everyday driving.

If they turn out to be good...with that price, they will become very desirable.
Gonna have to agree with you there boss. I'm just a semi daily driver and looking for the look of the slotted rotor. 👍

Old 09-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #18
Kevin.Cook

Well they have all 4 rotors for like $150. They have the silver, black, and gold ones. Even on their ebay store.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

I would imagine if the place was manufacturing all those brake kits for that many different vehicles, they gotta be doing something right?
Old 09-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Definitely let us know what you think once they're on.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Will do! When i do get my 2011 back, i will have a ton to do to it.

Flush fluids, new battery, new headlight bulbs, new brake pads and rotors, Shifter bracket and bushing, Trident ABs, airaid modular intake tube, oil catch can, and add MPT tune.

Then i got cosmetics.

Side scoops, fender badges, license plate bracket, and rear splash guards.

That should hold me over for a bit
Old 09-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

It's a sickness isn't it? By the way, you're gonna love your Tridents! Good choice.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
Old 09-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #23
Kevin.Cook

It is. I already dropped alot into my 2014. Now my 2011 has some catching up to do. Main thing is getting the maintenance caught up. Them maybe next year i can get the stuff i really want. Like headers, driveshaft, rear diffuser, darker window tint, etc.

I am happy it has 3.31s already. For a MT, this seems pretty good. I will leave it with those. I dont want to risk getting any gear noise or anything from changing them.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #24
Kevin.Cook

So I got the brake kit in today. The only thing it doesn't come with it seems is the Thermal Paste stuff. But for $223 you should be able to swing that

The quality seems to be on par with PowerStop though. Minor differences with the rotors.

Keep in mind I won't be able to get these installed for a few more weeks still. Seems body shops like my 2011 more then I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150925_160116.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	191518   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150925_160137.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	191519  

Old 09-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I got the brake kit in today. The only thing it doesn't come with it seems is the Thermal Paste stuff. But for $223 you should be able to swing that

The quality seems to be on par with PowerStop though. Minor differences with the rotors.

Keep in mind I won't be able to get these installed for a few more weeks still. Seems body shops like my 2011 more then I do.
Are those rotors as big as the AM power stop rotors?

Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

Well for the manual v6 with PP, the front rotors are 12.4". The powerstop ones I got for my Auto v6 with PP needed 13.2" front rotors.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So the eBay set powersport rotors are what size?

Old 09-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #28
Kevin.Cook

12.4" for the front in that kit. This will accommodate the 2011-2014 v6 manual with or without PP. As well as the Auto without the PP. But if your car is an Auto and had the PP from Ford, you may have to check their site to see if they have a kit with a 13.2" front rotor set.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #29
Kevin.Cook

Here is a better picture of the rotors. The PowerStop ones do not have as many holes and slots in them. Idk which one would be better?

One on the left is a front rotor and the right one is a rear rotor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443221274541.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	191522  
Old 09-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Nice!

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
Old 09-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I would imagine if the place was manufacturing all those brake kits for that many different vehicles, they gotta be doing something right?
They're just able to do it cheap. When tooling rotors, cheap rotors are coated with oil to keep the bits from overheating, which lets a company get through a lot of blanks in a short amount of time. Bad thing here is oil will soak into the pores of the rotors and can lead to less than desirable braking characteristics in "extreme circumstances."

Premium blanks like centric, brembo, etc.. are all cut not using any sort of lubricants. This requires more expensive tooling, and is harder on the tooling, but creates a "superior" rotor.

This is one of those things though, where if you never put a rotor through its paces you'll never notice a difference, so those will be perfectly fine for every day driving. Just to give a reference point though, just Centric premium blanks (13.2" front and 11.8" rear) would be about $220 give or take.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #32
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
They're just able to do it cheap. When tooling rotors, cheap rotors are coated with oil to keep the bits from overheating, which lets a company get through a lot of blanks in a short amount of time. Bad thing here is oil will soak into the pores of the rotors and can lead to less than desirable braking characteristics in "extreme circumstances."

Premium blanks like centric, brembo, etc.. are all cut not using any sort of lubricants. This requires more expensive tooling, and is harder on the tooling, but creates a "superior" rotor.

This is one of those things though, where if you never put a rotor through its paces you'll never notice a difference, so those will be perfectly fine for every day driving. Just to give a reference point though, just Centric premium blanks (13.2" front and 11.8" rear) would be about $220 give or take.
Thanks. Always appreciate your input.

Yea my 2011 will be a daily driver. I am not a pro with a manual so I will not be driving it crazy or anything.

I really wanted one because it is much more enjoyable over the auto.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:48 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I had R1's on my Jeep SRT8 and loved them, that will be my project this winter.
caballorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #34
Kevin.Cook

So I installed these pads and rotors yesterday. I went through the bedding process and broke in the pads and rotors. They perform just as good as the PowerStop kit.

Also - Did anyone else notice the PowerStop pads and rotors are cheaper on AM's site if you buy everything separate vs the kit?
Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I installed these pads and rotors yesterday. I went through the bedding process and broke in the pads and rotors. They perform just as good as the PowerStop kit.

Also - Did anyone else notice the PowerStop pads and rotors are cheaper on AM's site if you buy everything separate vs the kit?
Really, the kit is more money. Ha ha ha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang