Bad experiences with CJPonyParts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Bad experiences with CJPonyParts

I bought my Dynotech aluminum driveshaft from CJPonyParts. During the test drive there was a drone during deceleration. It was so bad that it caused me a migraine. So I immediately took it off.

When I contacted them for a return, and I was told that installed parts can not be returned. Installed = used, and used parts can not be returned They recommend me to sell it on craigslist or ebay.

Is this normal? I mean how can you figure out whether a part has a problem or not, unless you install it?

Any recommendations?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

AM never gives me that problem and I have had to return bad brake pads and gears that were installed.

Maybe don't buy from CJ Pony Parts? I don't. LOL!
Old 09-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This is not uncommon. What's to stop someone from installing something wrong and damaging it and trying to pawn it off on the seller?

Also, did you try to diagnose the driveshaft issue at all, or did you immediately turn around and try to ditch it?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I though added noise was common with a driveshaft?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I though added noise was common with a driveshaft?
I thought this too. Even when my 2014 had 3.31s, I would sometimes here a slight hum that wasn't there before the aluminum one. I assume the aluminum doesn't muffle sound as well.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
So how much do you want for it?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Bad experiences with CJPonyParts

I bought the same exact DS from CJPonyparts. I do get some vibrations when decelerating right around 2100rpms. This I found out is normal due to having a dual mass flywheel which increases vibrations. Thought it was the DS out of balance, but if it was out of whack, it would get worse at higher rpm and speeds and this is not the issue.

Make sure you've installed it correctly with the black boot towards the rear. Sometimes turning the shaft 90degrees will fix common issues.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

They told me that the problem is that they think the driveshaft is 100% perfect, it is my gears that are generating the noise. They said without any defects, they can not get a refund from Dynotech.

Come on, I can not return an item that is not defective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
This is not uncommon. What's to stop someone from installing something wrong and damaging it and trying to pawn it off on the seller?

Also, did you try to diagnose the driveshaft issue at all, or did you immediately turn around and try to ditch it?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Why do you want to return an item that is not defective?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I got a drone during deceleration, probably caused by the backlash of my differential gears. I say it is not defective, because there is no vibration of any sort.

That said, does it require a reason in order to make a return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Why do you want to return an item that is not defective?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Is the car lowered? If it is then your pinion angle is probably off unless you have an adjustable UCA. The vibration could be very slight to where it is causing an upset in sound waves, which could be a drone.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Return Policy:

60 Day Customer Satisfaction Guarantee!

Items purchased may be returned within sixty days of purchase for any reason
Items must be unused and in resale-able condition
All returns must be accompanied by the original invoice and return authorization
Special order items are non-returnable
No restocking fee will apply
Can't really put any blame on CJ when the item is not defective.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, but my car is not lowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Is the car lowered? If it is then your pinion angle is probably off unless you have an adjustable UCA. The vibration could be very slight to where it is causing an upset in sound waves, which could be a drone.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
This.

I don't get people who put performance mods on a car then expect it to be as or more quiet than stock.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The point is that they never proved that the item is in unused and resalabe condition. They simply assumed it is not in unused and resalable condition, and their only proof is that it's ever installed, even though it only saw 10 miles on my car, and is in absolutely pristine condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
If it is just slight increase in noise, why would I even try to return it? The drone was giving me a migraine, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
I don't get people who put performance mods on a car then expect it to be as or more quiet than stock.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
The point is that they simply assume it is not in unused and resalable condition without even have a chance to examine it. Their only excuse is that it is ever installed, even though it only saw 10 miles on my car, and is in absolutely pristine condition.
..... It was installed there for used.. They don't say unused or resalable
Old 09-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Come on, this is a driveshaft. It can be installed and still in mint condition. I just examined the driveshaft, there is absolutely no signs of being used.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

I can buy a car drive it off the lot and drive right back to the lot and sell it and it is used.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Tbh, with the amount of people who have gone to an aftermarket $600+ driveshaft and have complained of more noise, clunking and drone with it I'd be a little pissed also, as the only real benefit is that i can track my car over 120 safely.
For a dd Imo the stock ds is just fine and unless I ever track it there is no reason to change it.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
This.

Honestly this is true. You should of researched before buying the driveshaft if it's causing you an issue now...

IG: justaslow3.7
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you, Kevin!

This is the point. I have been buying >90% of my Mustang parts from AmericanMuscle. I did returned a couple of them, but never had any issue. What I got from AmericanMuscle is quality customer service, no headache like what I experienced with CJPonyParts at all.

It seems that the representatives of AmericanMuscle are always going out of their way to help you out, but the representatives of CJPonyParts are behaving short-sighted and unprofessionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
AM never gives me that problem and I have had to return bad brake pads and gears that were installed.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:24 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
+1 on this.

I have a DSS aluminum shaft. I do get a bit more noise, probably because the shaft is basically a hollow metal tube perfect for transmitting and amplifying sounds. It's not bad, though, so I'm not too worried. The OP could consider putting some Dynamat under the rear seats and in the trunk area, which will cut down on road noise overall.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Try rotating the shaft 180°. This can fix a lot of issues.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Realistically if you can't live with the sound, I'm sure you can sell it here for what you paid minus the cost of shipping it to the new owner.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you have a drone when decelerating it's probably the rear end pinion bearing ( not defective). Ford steel DS does a good job of covering up some rear end noises, and amplifies others.. I don't think Ford did that intentionally but I've seen it in the shop a few times after a change over to alum DS. That's why I went with the CF drive shaft. We have also been successful at getting rid of harmonics by rotating Drive the shaft 90* at a time till vibration goes away. If it doesn't, its probably is out of balance or is bent beyond spec.

If a shop or dealer won't stand by their product don't use them anymore, and post it for the rest of us to see.

But make sure you do your best to solve problem yourself.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Drone from a drive shaft ???????????? WOW !!!!!

This really has to go down in history as something to remember.
A Vibration===YES
A Clunk ===Yes
A Drone ==== I really don't think so unless you have a lot of air passing through the drive shaft.
I see you change rear differential gears at one time so thelastsumurai at post above may be on to your problem.
So bad that it gives you a migraine headache=== Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! "Come -on"

Corsa exhaust may or may not be causing your "DRONE" It sure ain't caused by a drive shaft.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Go to a Driveshaft Shop & have them diagnose the problem, they have a machine for testing.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

As many of you super mechanics have probably experienced with customer complaints about differential noise. You will know that a pinion bearing can be described in many ways by different people, i.e. clank, clink, rumble, whine, thud, whirring and other things, it your job to figure out exactly what they mean. What I am saying is, don't make fun of others descriptions of a problem.

As audioAl said maybe it's time to go to a reputable drive shaft shop and have it diagnosed.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
This really has to go down in history as something to remember.
A Drone ==== I really don't think so unless you have a lot of air passing through the drive shaft.
Ronnie
Could be a First!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
As many of you super mechanics have probably experienced with customer complaints about differential noise. You will know that a pinion bearing can be described in many ways by different people, i.e. clank, clink, rumble, whine, thud, whirring and other things, it your job to figure out exactly what they mean. What I am saying is, don't make fun of others descriptions of a problem.

As audioAl said maybe it's time to go to a reputable drive shaft shop and have it diagnosed.
Or another alternate is record the sound and send it to ronnie. Just jesting.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I tried ordering stuff from them.

it was all back-ordered.

They didn't mention this until a day after I ordered it.

I cancelled my order and went to the local auto parts store for my crap.

The parts came in (to the local store) the next day and shipping was free.

Shop Local. The smaller the business, the better.

The End.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Great advice
Quote:
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #32
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Let's try to stay on track with the replies to help the OP out.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Power Train Set Up

I know there's a lot of instructional literature kicking around but I thought these by Inland Empire Driveline Service, Inc. were very good.
https://www.iedls.com/asp/admin/getF...&TID=28&FN=PDF
http://www.iedls.com/asp/admin/getFi...&TID=28&FN=PDF
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #34
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
I bought my Dynotech aluminum driveshaft from CJPonyParts. During the test drive there was a drone during deceleration. It was so bad that it caused me a migraine. So I immediately took it off.

When I contacted them for a return, and I was told that installed parts can not be returned. Installed = used, and used parts can not be returned They recommend me to sell it on craigslist or ebay.

Is this normal? I mean how can you figure out whether a part has a problem or not, unless you install it?

Any recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post

Hey OP - Sorry to hear about the trouble you had working with them but this is fairly common place from vendor to vendor. I would try to shoot them a call to work with them on how it was installed etc and what they would need to have this fixed for you.

Just my .02 !

Kevin - If the op had this purchased here we would need to have a shop report specifically stating what had occurred causing this to act up. Your pad was a different issue too and there's no way I was going to have you driving around with no brakes!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
You installed it and drove it...an inch or a mile, it don't matter. Would it have been just fine for you to order this $600 part from them and then get one that was already installed on someone else's Mustang and then returned? Yeah, I didn't think so.
Now here's something CJ really FAILS at. Order a shift knob that boldly states "Ships in 5-7 days". Order it, then see way down further in description "all shift knobs are custom made and ship in 3-4 WEEKS".
WTF CJ Pony parts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	191298  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang