!!!MEGA AIR SPACERS!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
!!!MEGA AIR SPACERS!!!

Ok, so I know I have seen a few threads on here before about TB spacers and how useless they are and such. That's fine and true... to most. However I have used the Mega Air Spacer for a good part of Spring and Summer and it was a noticeable improvement on low end trq (around 1,500-3k rpm) released a slightly deeper note from the intake too , that was until I had to get my state inspection done and had to go back to my Street tune.

It was running fine and dandy until I reloaded my data logged 93 Race tune. Every time, no hard pulls just cruise driving and I would throw a WRENCH code. Shut the engine down and restart...codes are gone....then again after a min WRENCH and CEL come on. It took me 30 mins to travel 1/4 mile down an empty road. It just would not take. I try reloading with the canned 93R tune I had...same thing happens. However once I remove it and drive it, the car runs fine. Once all the systems are in place I can then install it and it works. Whats the deal? I have asked them before and they insist its not the spacer as they have it in there cars but I'm not sure they are 100%. I know with out a doubt that I can not have the spacer installed after freshly loading a Performance or Race tune. How am I supposed to get this dataloged and then load the tune if it keeps throwing codes?

I guess Im hoping they are on the forum and respond. Unless anyone else has a similar situation and has any input.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Do you or do you not have an air leak down stream of the airflow sensor and/or throttle body?

Either way, the solution is to go get a dyno tune.

you will be able to see that there is no actual raw performance benefit to running this, or you will be able to tune out the bugs.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It's tight as a drum. There is a significant increase in the aforementioned RPM range, but I just cant get it to work when i load a fresh tune...Whats weird is it works fine once the tune has had a chance to settle in, but bot before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
It's tight as a drum. There is a significant increase in the aforementioned RPM range, but I just cant get it to work when i load a fresh tune...Whats weird is it works fine once the tune has had a chance to settle in, but bot before.
When you say "works".. are you talking about the perceived increase in power, or are you talking about the "wrench" light?

And that's not all that weird that it confuses the ECU. You are relocating sensors and modern car's computers are more sensitive than feminists lol. Especially anything 05+
Old 09-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Are you familiar with the Placebo Affect?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
1. Is there a gasket on either side of the spacer? Just because you tighten things down does not mean they are sealed.

2. Get a single 3rd gear datalog with and without the spacer and use virtual dyno, that will be the easiest way to see what kinds of gains there are.

3. What is the trouble code thats being thrown? Have you had the code read?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
When you say "works".. are you talking about the perceived increase in power, or are you talking about the "wrench" light?
And that's not all that weird that it confuses the ECU. You are relocating sensors and modern car's computers are more sensitive than feminists lol. Especially anything 05+
Wrench light. Perceived increase in power? No clue as i havnt been able to do a datalog. i have no computer at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Are you familiar with the Placebo Affect?

I know what it feels like when something changes in the way my car drives. There is a significant change when i have it installed and immediately after removing it. Whether or not its an increase in power is hard to say. It could just be a power shift, better low end power but diminished high end? Wont know till i can get a Computer to do some logging. Thing is i kind of like the drive with it installed...not sure why. i'll see soon enough i hope.
Bullitts are better than Bullets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
1. Is there a gasket on either side of the spacer? Just because you tighten things down does not mean they are sealed.

2. Get a single 3rd gear datalog with and without the spacer and use virtual dyno, that will be the easiest way to see what kinds of gains there are.

3. What is the trouble code thats being thrown? Have you had the code read?
1. yes. good seal on both
2. been trying to get a comp to get one done
3. Code is: P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
This is what i know it to be -" Indicates a calculation error occurred in the powertrain control module (PCM).
Possible Causes/Diagnostic Aids: Check for sensor and circuit related DTCs. Do not install a new electronic throttle body (ETB) for this DTC.”
So something to do with the way the tune is set up. My Stock tune and my canned BAMA Street tunes do not throw this code when i first load them, however my Performance and Race tunes throw this code everytime. Race tune is custom Data logged and the Perf. is the canned one from Bama. generic, no changes. Once the tune has been loaded and i drive 50+ miles or so i can install the spacer and it works just fine.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
???? guess:

part of the ckt where emissions has to go through xx drive cycles before it's happy?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
???? guess:

part of the ckt where emissions has to go through xx drive cycles before it's happy?
Yeah, but whats odd is others have said they install it with a tune and it works just fine. Still waiting to see if the guys over there respond to this or not with any ideas, but for now i dont have it installed. It wasnt even expensive either so Im not upset just confused. i dont like when my cars does things and i dont know why its doing them.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Was this one of those little $40 spacers on Facebook?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Was this one of those little $40 spacers on Facebook?
Yup...not too bad, pretty sturdy just messing with my flow
Old 09-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Yea idk man. I am sure the seller makes these on good will. But I wouldn't buy anything an actual company doesn't stand behind.

Because - Is the seller standing behind his product and helping you through this? If not, then my point is made.

Now you are stuck figuring out why his product is messing with your car.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, it's been a little weird but I can't really do anything till I get some logs. Once those are in we can see what's going on and report back to them what's happening
Old 09-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

I would then bill the time you spent diagnosing someone else's product back to that seller. He pretty much has you doing all the legwork.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, it's been a little weird but I can't really do anything till I get some logs. Once those are in we can see what's going on and report back to them what's happening

Try to get good control tests as well. Identical logs with and without the spacer, different types of driving...
Old 09-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
And when you do you logs make sure to do a pull leave it logging and do another pull! Right Voltwings?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
And when you do you logs make sure to do a pull leave it logging and do another pull! Right Voltwings?
lol, its really hard to go through them that way. Easiest is just turn the logger on, do a pull, then turn it off. Some people here have sent me like 5-10 minutes of total drive time and there's 2 or 3 pulls somewhere in there. The SCT has an insane log rate, thats like over 10,000 lines of data in excel
Old 09-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol, its really hard to go through them that way. Easiest is just turn the logger on, do a pull, then turn it off. Some people here have sent me like 5-10 minutes of total drive time and there's 2 or 3 pulls somewhere in there. The SCT has an insane log rate, thats like over 10,000 lines of data in excel
Oh yeah, it will most likely be an idle log of about 1 min cold. A warm idle log, 3rd gear pull and a pull under load like a hill or something
Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

Log it idling for a few hours.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have 14 endurance test stands at work where we run engines for 1500 hours- data logging the entire time on all engines lol. They go through various load/throttle/rpm conditions on the regen dynos for 1500 hours

When any of them fail the endurance test, its a LOT of scrolling and careful searching lol. Usually just looking for clues to find failure mode and effect. But its a month's worth of data!
Old 09-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

1500 hrs? Yeah...not sure I'll be able to fit that into my schedule. Sounds very meticulous though. Get some great details if you know what to look for.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #22
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
I have 14 endurance test stands at work where we run engines for 1500 hours- data logging the entire time on all engines lol. They go through various load/throttle/rpm conditions on the regen dynos for 1500 hours

When any of them fail the endurance test, its a LOT of scrolling and careful searching lol. Usually just looking for clues to find failure mode and effect. But its a month's worth of data!
So they are on a dyno for 2 straight months? Do they get an oil change at least? lol
Old 09-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I had a nice set of conditional formatting for a while i would use, a bar scale for Boost and AFR, a highlight scaled for injector duty cycle, a highlight rule for knock... makes finding problem areas easy, but still. Aint nobody got time for that.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had a nice set of conditional formatting for a while i would use, a bar scale for Boost and AFR, a highlight scaled for injector duty cycle, a highlight rule for knock... makes finding problem areas easy, but still. Aint nobody got time for that.
I'm guessing that you have time for it, if you're getting paid for it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1500 hrs? Yeah...not sure I'll be able to fit that into my schedule. Sounds very meticulous though. Get some great details if you know what to look for.
Yeah I know what to look for. I have a system down to where I can narrow it down, but still have to look through a ton of it to see how the conditions degraded.

See if you can set up a drop-down tab in the spreadsheet that you use, that way you can hide all of the cruising around data. "Hide" all of the part-throttle low rpm rows of data. I'm not sure how your data collection shows the data in Excel, but after I got the spreadsheet setup like that, I copied it and use it for all the data files. It makes it way easier, but we use different stuff in the OEM Laboratories for data collection
Old 09-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I bet. First things first. I need to get a laptop to use for these datalogs :-/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang