California headers and smog - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

California headers and smog

Hey guys, I live in California. A buddy of mine said when you get a smog check they don't inspect illegal parts, they only check emissions. The parts are only illegal if the police find them, how true is that? I want to know only because I'm about to buy headers, but don't want to be forced into buying BBK shorties. Any info or experience is appreciated.

Sent from my Mustang.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I live in Cali have carb approved items: bbk shorty headers and (hopefully soon) procharger supercharger . I've heard even though they are carb approved they can still fail "emissions". So I'll have to see what I can do when the day comes.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

BBK shorties are definitely the safe route. I for sure wouldn't do long tubes because you'll fail smog automatically due to the original cats being moved.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Stevenbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
I live in Cali have carb approved items: bbk shorty headers and (hopefully soon) procharger supercharger . I've heard even though they are carb approved they can still fail "emissions". So I'll have to see what I can do when the day comes.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
You could straight pipe the car and it should still pass the tail pipe test.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #5

If the components are CARB approved, they should not cause you to fail a smog test. The key is that the aftermarket components that are around the emissions system - have to have a CARB sticker or CARB number on the product.

Guaranteed if you are pulled over by the police, and they have reason to inspect your car and they find long tube headers - count on a ticket. With all of the street racing going on, they are inspecting cars to crack down. They are getting training as to what to look for.

BBK and JBA both create shorty headers that are CARB approved. No long tube headers have an approval.

2012 GT500 #3875/3929 #615/624 Race Red.

Build List to be updated.
William7635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys! I'll probably just go the safe route and do BBK ceramic shorties. Maybe a custom H pipe down the road and leave the exhaust alone after that.

Sent from my Mustang.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Bbk and jba are the only carb approved headers. Both are shorty, but the good news is this car responds very well to them under the curve even though peak gains are only 8-10hp.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:14 AM   #8

I live in California and Would anyone happen to know I have the long length catted xpipe w/o needing long tube headers and still have stock manifolds does the high flow catalytic converters have a carb number?

That Stang Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Stang Life View Post
I live in California and Would anyone happen to know I have the long length catted xpipe w/o needing long tube headers and still have stock manifolds does the high flow catalytic converters have a carb number?

I do not think they have a CARB number.

Stevenbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:44 AM   #10

Ok thanks for the heads up

That Stang Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:57 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

High flow cats aren't legal in california. So pretty much no aftermarket mid pipes are unless they bolt up behind the stock cats.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
california