Mustang Evolution Forum banner

California headers and smog

Tags
california
12K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Soccerluvr4 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I live in California. A buddy of mine said when you get a smog check they don't inspect illegal parts, they only check emissions. The parts are only illegal if the police find them, how true is that? I want to know only because I'm about to buy headers, but don't want to be forced into buying BBK shorties. Any info or experience is appreciated.

Sent from my Mustang.

#2 ·
I live in Cali have carb approved items: bbk shorty headers and (hopefully soon) procharger supercharger . I've heard even though they are carb approved they can still fail "emissions". So I'll have to see what I can do when the day comes.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
If the components are CARB approved, they should not cause you to fail a smog test. The key is that the aftermarket components that are around the emissions system - have to have a CARB sticker or CARB number on the product.

Guaranteed if you are pulled over by the police, and they have reason to inspect your car and they find long tube headers - count on a ticket. With all of the street racing going on, they are inspecting cars to crack down. They are getting training as to what to look for.

BBK and JBA both create shorty headers that are CARB approved. No long tube headers have an approval.

2012 GT500 #3875/3929 #615/624 Race Red.

Build List to be updated.

#7 ·
Bbk and jba are the only carb approved headers. Both are shorty, but the good news is this car responds very well to them under the curve even though peak gains are only 8-10hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.