Spun Rod Bearing???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
Spun Rod Bearing????

Hello,

New here to the forum, but I have done my fair amount of reading across different forums and this one included.

Anyway, I purchased a beautiful 2011 Mustang MCA edition a few months ago with 85k miles on the clock. At 87k miles, I did my first oil change on the car with the factory specified filter and oil. I started my car up in the garage and for the first time, noticed a tick. (Not that it wasn't there before, I just never noticed it) No, its not the dreaded lifter tick, or anything with the Variable valve timing. It wasn't metallic nor does it sound like rod knock. Its almost a light flapping sound. The sound is faint, but noticeable. It isn't consistently present, but it is there the majority of the time when the engine is warm. What is it?

To continue, I decided to drive her for a few thousand miles and see if it got better. I noticed that the noise is only present when the engine is up to normal operating temperature, which tells me it has something to do with oil viscosity or pressure. The noise changes with RPM and at 2k RPM it is drowned out by general running noise. However, the car runs extremely strong. Almost strong enough to ignore the issue all together, and just drive it and enjoy it.. BUT......

.... after hours of examination making no headway, I decided to take it to ford. I took it to the most honest dealer in the area and let them keep it for a day. They put their lead technician on the job and he came to the conclusion that the sound is coming from the bottom of the engine. To me, all the clues lead to a crank bearing being starved of oil. It hasn't gotten noticeably louder in the last 5k miles, but it is definitely present. I have not removed the oil pan and checked for any play in with the connecting rods and crank shaft. Once again, there are no performance issues what-so-ever.

With that being said, I thought rod bearings were either good or bad. Not in between. And my options are to drive it and enjoy until it goes. (If that is even what is wrong with it), Go ahead and rebuild the bottom end, or be ready to swap. I am not afraid to pull and rebuild part of an engine... This isn't my first rodeo. Should I be the first to swap in a 3.5 ECOboost? haha. Just kidding.

Finally, 1)Whats your opinion on the description of the sound? 2)Do rod bearings slowly wear out? 3)Should I try a thicker, yet full synthetic oil? 4)Should I just drive it until it goes then replace the engine? 5)Should I go ahead and rebuild the bottom end? What would you do?... Don't say sell it and buy a 5.0.

If you need anymore information, let me know.

Any response is appreciated. Thanks.
2011MCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

When you got your car, were you given a carfax report? This way you can see if oil changes and other things were done normally.

My 2011 3.7 has 104k miles and is fine. You COULD try a thicker oil. If worst comes to worst, you could just drain it out and put back the normal recommended oil.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
When you got your car, were you given a carfax report? This way you can see if oil changes and other things were done normally.

My 2011 3.7 has 104k miles and is fine. You COULD try a thicker oil. If worst comes to worst, you could just drain it out and put back the normal recommended oil.
It did, and the majority of service records were there, especially most recently. Also, some people do their own oil changes and service, myself included, so unfortunately, those records aren't reported. And Ill see about the oil, Im due for a an oil change in 800 miles. Thanks for your response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

I would also try cheap ways to clean everything. I am always one for doing everything anways.

Such as cleaning the fuel system to make sure bad gas or anything isnt causing issues with detonation.

Same goes for Spark Plugs. Have those been changed? If not, do them. Regardless if it doesnt fix the issue.

Does the car have any aftermarket stuff?
Old 09-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #5

^^^Plugs were the next on my list.. And I agree with the general maintenance first, however, I highly doubt plugs will fix it. But I need to take care of them anyway. Thanks And only a Magna-flow competition series catback.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Ok. I just wanted to make sure the headers/manifolds weren't changed. Sometimes aftermarket ones don't seat right and can cause faint ticking.

I would knock out all the general maintenance stuff and try a thicker oil. See if anything changes. I cant imagine your car having less miles could need a whole bottom end rebuild or something already if it was taken care of.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

^^ I will, Thanks for the advice. Ill see what happens on this oil change when I knock out the rest of the general maintenance. (the majority has already been done) .

And as far as needing the bottom end rebuilt. I am acquainted with the previous owner, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he drove it a bit more aggressively than the average owner. Not abusive, as he too is a heavy car guy, but a bit harder...(spirited driving and regular maintenance is better than little/gentle driving and poor maintenance in my opinion.)However, Having an engine that needs drastic repair is a surprise to me too.. especially considering I had an '01 lexus is300 with 201k miles running great. 90k miles is just too soon. Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Do you know if he tuned it or anything? As you can see on here, most 3.7 owners tune their rides.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #9

^^ He did not. Only the exhaust.

Speaking of tuning, It wouldn't cause extensive repairs would it? All a tune does is tweak air/fuel ratios, timing and other engine management elements..A package tune like BAMA shouldn't destroy an engine. I mean, yes, if the 3.7 is an interference engine, it would be damaged with a poor tune, but someone would have the mess up royally to do it.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Depends on the quality of the tune.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Spun Rod Bearing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011MCA View Post
^^ He did not. Only the exhaust.

Speaking of tuning, It wouldn't cause extensive repairs would it? All a tune does is tweak air/fuel ratios, timing and other engine management elements..A package tune like BAMA shouldn't destroy an engine. I mean, yes, if the 3.7 is an interference engine, it would be damaged with a poor tune, but someone would have the mess up royally to do it.

Rethink what you just said. Your "all a tune does" is all it takes

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Rethink what you just said. Your "all a tune does" is all it takes

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
You're right... I know what you're saying. But this thread isn't about a tune. This mustang is not tuned, that was in response to a side note, But I do appreciate the mind set of safety! Thanks

However, any input on any of the original questions is appreciated.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

I am wondering if it is noticeable enough to where you can take a video so we can hear it? If not, it is ok.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I don't give my thought on these problems through a forum. It could be different things. And everyone who comments is just guessing. This is something that needs to been seen in person.

But as far as a bearing goes. It will be heard on startup and should get louder as you get on the gas.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #15

KEVIN COOK : Id imagine I could, but not at this moment. Its 9pm eastern, and the engine is cold. But I'll take a video tomorrow to see if it is noticeable.

Rapinator126: I completely understand your point of view. I use the suggestions on forums and other sources as a way to successfully brainstorm and perhaps guide my thinking and diagnosis.

I also agree with how it should be heard on startup. Thats the puzzler. Its not audible until its warm
Old 09-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #16
Kevin.Cook

That is why I normally suggest cheap and easy things. You won't see me suggesting to people to take apart their engine or something. I leave that for in-person diagnosis to confirm. My suggestions are the normal stuff everyone should be doing anyways.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #17

I know what you mean. Mentioning the cheap and easy is always a safe bet (I would do that when I was part of the Miata community).. There are some people out there who would tear apart a car if one or two people on a forum told them too. Like I say, I just use every comment or bit of information I can gather to guide my thinking.

Perhaps someone out there had the exact same issue? highly doubt it, but its worth a shot.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Try sending a sample of oil to an oil analysis lab like Blackstone. Any part inside of an engine that's going bad is most likely to show abnormally high wear and it will show up in a used oil analysis. Depending on what type of metal it is that shows high wear it will give you a good idea on what the issue is.

I think my car makes the same sound you're hearing, its barely audible, and I have good hearing. I've done a couple UOA's and all is good so far.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on oil sample

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang