An idea for my Roush chin spoiler. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
An idea for my Roush chin spoiler.

After seeing some horror stories on these chin spoilers for 13-14 folding under the bumper at high speeds, it just now had me wondering. Can turnbuckles used on other chin spoilers be used on these as well?
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I'm sure you could figure out a way to do that no prob. But honestly, I have one, and know plenty of people with them. When installed correctly, not abused by parking curbs, they do not have this problem.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

I have had mine on for 3 months. Have went down the strip a few times with it on. No issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I've had my Roush chin on for a few months. Hit 120mph a few times and never had an issue.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I'll bet the ones that failed were improperly installed. When done right, these are solid. Roush does not make an inferior product period.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Same. The whole mounting of the Roush on a cutaway portion for the old splitter really does provide extra stability. While I haven't done a GoPro video of the splitter to look for flex at speed, it's a pretty solid mount when done properly. There are ways (ill advised IMHO) to shortcut the install and my money is on that may be causing the issues you referenced.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
To answer your question, i don't think turnbuckles would really work, due to the angle, and relatively small contact patch. Also, the roush splitter is a rather pliable material, i could see it deforming around where the turnbuckles are installed. I mean, they would "work," but the mounting would be incredibly awkward, not look that good, and would honestly be more trouble than it is worth since they're really meant to be installed on something more solid.

I had mine on when i started tracking, and would get about 15-20 laps on average per session. Lets shoot on the low end and say 15 laps per session, 4 sessions a day over 2 days. In two outings at this same track, thats almost 250 times my roush splitter saw over 150 mph, and a consistent 80-100 sustained. If there is an issue with the splitter, its likely an installer error. I'll admit lol, the install is a bit of a pain in the ***, but you really cant cut any corners here.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
^ That's a lot of driving!! Awesome

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
There are ways (ill advised IMHO) to shortcut the install and my money is on that may be causing the issues you referenced.
I suppose so, but I have no idea if it was properly installed or not. It was already on the car when I bought it last year. I first heard about the issue from someone at a local mustang accessory store that going 145+mph would make it fold under the bumper. Then I did a quick search and this is what turned up. 155mph + roush chin splitter = carnage

Seeing that scares me a bit if I ever have the chance (legally of course) to run up those speeds.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
had mine for a long time and lots road miles, highway miles and some runs down the strip. no issues at all. My side splitters were a little loose after install and just added a couple more of the body pins for it.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
I suppose so, but I have no idea if it was properly installed or not. It was already on the car when I bought it last year. I first heard about the issue from someone at a local mustang accessory store that going 145+mph would make it fold under the bumper. Then I did a quick search and this is what turned up. 155mph + roush chin splitter = carnage

Seeing that scares me a bit if I ever have the chance (legally of course) to run up those speeds.

Looks to me like it was not installed with the factory splitter as the instructions state just by looking at the pictures.

Crap like this always cracks me up. People always so quick to blame a company for something like this. So many variables.

I don't ever plan on cracking 130 or so in my car so I will wipe the sweat from my brow. Lol
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:40 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post

Likening this to a roller coaster: You're pretty sure you are okay but you are still worried. Here's what I'd suggest and you get a weekend project for a couple of hours out of the deal. Bill from CJ Pony Parts has a great Roush Splitter install video here. I'd watch the video a few times to get an idea of how the install goes aka where parts should be and what it should look like installed. Get under your car and pull the splitter and check. I've had things that just drove me nuts worrying about before. If you are really questioning the install (mainly from being an unknown) check it and sleep better. I know I would.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang