Age Old question of CAI - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
If we need to do a separate test at a separate time we can, however, we figured we would take data from either end of the spectrum (stock and the largest aftermarket CAI) and just interpolate the data in the middle, which is where the air raid would fall.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,258
Perfect! Thanks guys. 👍

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #178
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Very interested in the results! Do either of you guys have access to an airaid to perform the same test?

Sent from LG G3.
Not yet. If anyone here is in the Southeast Texas area and will let us borrow an Airraid for automatic transmission, please get in touch. I'm in Bryan/College Station and Volt is in Houston.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If we need to do a separate test at a separate time we can, however, we figured we would take data from either end of the spectrum (stock and the largest aftermarket CAI) and just interpolate the data in the middle, which is where the air raid would fall.
I was thinking, what was in many people's minds is whether an Airaid would test out about the same as stock, or better. Now it sounds like you're assuming that Airaid would be in the middle between stock and Steeda.
Don't believe you can interpolate for an Airaid without some kind of test data on it?
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #180
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I was thinking, what was in many people's minds is whether an Airaid would test out about the same as stock, or better. Now it sounds like you're assuming that Airaid would be in the middle between stock and Steeda.
Don't believe you can interpolate for an Airaid without some kind of test data on it?
Is the Steeda filter bigger than the Jlt on the 11plus? I ask because the Jlt is the largest on the 3v
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #181
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I was thinking, what was in many people's minds is whether an Airaid would test out about the same as stock, or better. Now it sounds like you're assuming that Airaid would be in the middle between stock and Steeda.
Don't believe you can interpolate for an Airaid without some kind of test data on it?
If you take the biggest CAI there is and there are no gains, the Air raid will likely show no gains either. If the largest CAI there is shows very marginal gains, we can assume the air raid will be even slightly more marginal. I think everyone here already knows the answer to that question, we're just taking the time to actually answer it.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #182
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If you take the biggest CAI there is and there are no gains, the Air raid will likely show no gains either. If the largest CAI there is shows very marginal gains, we can assume the air raid will be even slightly more marginal. I think everyone here already knows the answer to that question, we're just taking the time to actually answer it.
I think we missed the point, way back.
The problem is you can't test the Steeda without a tune. Right?
That's why I had mistakenly suggested way back to run the Steeda with the insert tube which would allow it to be used without a tune. Then I found out that only applies to the GT.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #183
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I think we missed the point, way back.
The problem is you can't test the Steeda without a tune. Right?
That's why I had mistakenly suggested way back to run the Steeda with the insert tube which would allow it to be used without a tune. Then I found out that only applies to the GT.
Correct.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:26 AM   #184
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
I'm thinking pretty much every "No Tune Required " CAI is going to test about the same. Some differences between them based on material used and how the filter flows as well?
__________________
“anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac”
-George Carlin
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #185
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I'm thinking pretty much every "No Tune Required " CAI is going to test about the same. Some differences between them based on material used and how the filter flows as well?
Agree! All the more reason why it would have been nice to include one in the tests to compare it to stock.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #186
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
How did this get sooooo screwed up.?????????????

Mustang Manual originally asked this question:

Quote:
Ok so i have some money to spend on some car parts. I'm considering the airraid cold air intake (14 v6) as an option. But a lot of people are saying its not worth it as the factory is a really good intake. also I cant afford the tuner right now.

So in you opinion is it worth it for me go get a CAI? or should i wait and get something else?
Weather the AirAid is worth getting--We will never ever know.
I do know that it looks good---Sounds great___ and I'm sure it ain't going to damage your engine.
Ronnie

PS: Now let me go put on my flame retarding suit.
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #187
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Again, if anyone is willing to donate an Airraid for an automatic to me and Voltwings to use for the weekend of 10/16, we will do it.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #188
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Again, if anyone is willing to donate an Airraid for an automatic to me and Voltwings to use for the weekend of 10/16, we will do it.
I'd be glad to chip in but don't think there's time to make it for the scheduled weekend.
I think AM should loan you one if they have any confidence in it beating stock. If they refuse that wouldn't look good to all those potential buyers.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I'd be glad to chip in but don't think there's time to make it for the scheduled weekend.
I think AM should loan you one if they have any confidence in it beating stock. If they refuse that wouldn't look good to all those potential buyers.
To be fair, Airraid should be offering one then, not AM. AM offers several different ones ... send us one of each ! lol and pay for the dyno time ! and a few snickers bars for me, cuz lord knows i get cranky when im hungry !
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
To be fair, Airraid should be offering one then, not AM. AM offers several different ones ... send us one of each ! lol and pay for the dyno time ! and a few snickers bars for me, cuz lord knows i get cranky when im hungry !
NO NO no dyno test! LOL
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
NO NO no dyno test! LOL
oh, right right right, i meant drag strip rental. Eish.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #192
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I'd be glad to chip in but don't think there's time to make it for the scheduled weekend.
I think AM should loan you one if they have any confidence in it beating stock. If they refuse that wouldn't look good to all those potential buyers.
I have to agree. Anyone who starts a new company or has ANY faith in a product should stand behind it 100% although AM does not make them so I wouldn't expect them to donate however Airaid or the company that manufactures it should be the ones to donate for testing. Free R&D for them!
__________________
“anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac”
-George Carlin
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kearny
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 66
I agree with you. First mod I did almost a year ago was install the airaid CAI. It felt like the throttle improved a bit, but the sound at WOT was amazing. I got a steeda tune less than a week later and that improved the throttle response and shift points (auto) greatly. I sat in a stock mustang not too long ago and have to admit it sounded a bit too quiet jaja.
VeryVeryEvilGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #194
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
Well, yall owe Mr. Sakib a big thanks. He drove the 1.5 to 2 hours or so down to my area so we could do this testing, and we got a lot of neat data that we are going to try to compile within the next few days and finally have some definitive information here.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #195
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
And that's Dr. Sakib, Mr. Voltwings! lol

Volt and I are going to be really busy with data analysis for the next 2-3 days. We collected A LOT. Very interesting results, sorry to keep you all in suspense. Let me just say, I'm glad we took the pressure gauge readings in addition to everything else.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #196
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
And that's Dr. Sakib, Mr. Voltwings! lol

Volt and I are going to be really busy with data analysis for the next 2-3 days. We collected A LOT. Very interesting results, sorry to keep you all in suspense. Let me just say, I'm glad we took the pressure gauge readings in addition to everything else.
So you leave us with a cliffhanger with that last sentence.LOL
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #197
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
Very excited to SEE some real results on this...
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #198
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,015
thx to both of you
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #199
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
So you leave us with a cliffhanger with that last sentence.LOL
LOL! Yep, trying to build up the anticipation like a movie trailer!

But seriously, we are basically going to write a white paper on this. So what you get by waiting is rigorous data analysis and thorough interpretation. Then there will be fewer questions to answer and more interesting discussion, rather than if we just throw up the data we collected right now without thinking it through. That would just lead to confusion and debating.

Wait... debating is probably going to happen no matter what we do, lol. This is the internet.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #200
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
LOL! Yep, trying to build up the anticipation like a movie trailer!

But seriously, we are basically going to write a white paper on this. So what you get by waiting is rigorous data analysis and thorough interpretation. Then there will be fewer questions to answer and more interesting discussion, rather than if we just throw up the data we collected right now without thinking it through. That would just lead to confusion and debating.

Wait... debating is probably going to happen no matter what we do, lol. This is the internet.
Funny! I was thinking this before I saw it.LOL
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #201
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
heh heh
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #202
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
Patiently waiting
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #203
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Patiently waiting
It doesn't sound like you're being very patient to me.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #204
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
Lol well i wont keep you guys on the edge of your seats, its going to take until next week some time.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #205
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fintile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,830
HOLY HELL! LOL I saw the update in my Subscription page with your name as the newest post and about jumped out of my seat in excitement only to see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Lol well i wont keep you guys on the edge of your seats, its going to take until next week some time.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #206
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
HOLY HELL! LOL I saw the update in my Subscription page with your name as the newest post and about jumped out of my seat in excitement only to see this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	got em.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	192644  
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #207
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Sorry for the delay, y'all. Analysis is mostly done, write-up is not even started yet, and I'll be traveling, so it will likely be the first half of next week.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #208
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Hey...I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Satisfaction guaranteed or twice your money back!
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #209
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Hey...I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Satisfaction guaranteed or twice your money back!
Should the test results show negative results for the aftermarket intake, this could hamper everyone's selling numbers on Intake kits. LOL

Assuming people ACTUALLY read this thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #210
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Well it does have 3k views.,

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The age old question Mustanglulu The Bar 4 03-19-2014 07:33 PM
AGE THREAD: How old are you guys? Borii The Bar 202 05-10-2012 10:09 AM
That age old question.. Seph The Bar 12 06-23-2006 02:02 PM
age and experience tire The Bar 41 08-03-2003 09:55 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:13 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.