Age Old question of CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Age Old question of CAI

Ok so i have some money to spend on some car parts. I'm considering the airraid cold air intake (14 v6) as an option. But a lot of people are saying its not worth it as the factory is a really good intake. also I cant afford the tuner right now.

So in you opinion is it worth it for me go get a CAI? or should i wait and get something else?
mustangmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Wait and get a tuner w/ tunes.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Wait and get a tuner w/ tunes.
This! I have the Airaid CAI and I didn't feel a huge bump from it. I got the tuner and was so glad I did. It really wakes up the car. Much better investment as your car can already breathe just fine with stock. Train it to think better.

Edit: I've had great luck with MPT. They also carry the tuner with tunes.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea im just going to wait on it! Thanks Guys!
mustangmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmanuel View Post
Ok so i have some money to spend on some car parts. I'm considering the airraid cold air intake (14 v6) as an option. But a lot of people are saying its not worth it as the factory is a really good intake. also I cant afford the tuner right now.

So in you opinion is it worth it for me go get a CAI? or should i wait and get something else?
MM - If I were in your position I would definitely wait until you're able to do both at the same time.

There's really not reason to do one and not the other as the vehicle will not benefit much without them being paired.

A great rule of thumb if you're going to be throwing more air at the car too is to definitely get it paired up with a tuner to ensure that it's operating correctly.

Drop me a line if you have any other questions and great choice on the Airaid, they make a quality kit.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
MM - If I were in your position I would definitely wait until you're able to do both at the same time.

There's really not reason to do one and not the other as the vehicle will not benefit much without them being paired.

A great rule of thumb if you're going to be throwing more air at the car too is to definitely get it paired up with a tuner to ensure that it's operating correctly.

Drop me a line if you have any other questions and great choice on the Airaid, they make a quality kit.

Alex
I'm I understanding this to imply that putting on an Airaid intake is "throwing more air at the car"?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I'm I understanding this to imply that putting on an Airaid intake is "throwing more air at the car"?
In my personal experience. The "more air" didn't kick in until I installed the X-pipe and tune to support the CAI and the exhaust. The more air in, more air out will help performance. Again, this is my personal experience. It's true that it's more for looks than performance. The stock airbox is already designed to be just as good as the aftermarket CAI. Ask me how I know.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're understanding it implies there is a distinct possibility of it doing so
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
In traffic your AIT will increase significantly with an Airaid CAI.
Save your $$ & get a tune.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

one of the best eye candies you can get under the hood

On the V6 3.7 Cyclone engine the AirAid may or may not improve performance but it sure does sound great when you floor the go pedal. And it sure looks nice when you pop the hood.
It was my second mod back in 2011 just after my Magnaflw Exhaust. I like everything about it.
Ronnie

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The problem I have with it is I watch my inlet air temp skyrocket in traffic proving the the sealed oem box is more of a "true cold air intake" then my airaid hot air intake.
It does sound better than the oem intake ill give it that, but performance wise I give it a big fat 0.
For sound and performance I'd do a set of shorties for pretty much the same price op.
If i had to do it again I'd just do with the sound tube.
Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard
Am I understanding this to imply that putting on an Airaid intake is "throwing more air at the car"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You're understanding it implies there is a distinct possibility of it doing so
I was trying to be politely sarcastic to an obvious sales pitch. If that makes any sense.LOL
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don'y think an air cleaner is going to do this

You say,
Quote:
The problem I have with it is I watch my inlet air temp skyrocket
I live in Florida, When it gets hot and it does, My car with the AirAid air cleaner does not skyrocket with a temperture increase. I can sit and idle and the Temperture gage does not budge. I do have a temperture gage and not just the idiot light.
If I were you I would check the thermostat if my car started overheating.

I was just up in Maryland on route 301 in Waldorf Maryland in a three hour traffic jam at about 95 Degrees outside temperture and guess what. My gage did not move at all because the thermostate regulates the engine operating temperture and was doing it's job. It took three hours of stop and go driving to go about ten miles without a problem. I just was happy to have an automatic transmission.

Hot air going into the intake may lose a little power at WOT but in normal driving it sure won't cause your engine to run hot. You have a different problem.
Ronnie
Old 09-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
^^^^ Inlet air and coolant temp are not the same.

and tunes MAY affect your wtty. I scored an Airaid intake used for sound alone and the cost to me after selling my OEM intake was well worth it. But I know if anything it hurt performance in the real world but I have a V6 performance was not the main reason I bought a Stang.

? I assume with any type of headers you need a tune am I guessing right/wrong.

OP, it depends on what you want out of a CAI if it's a good idea or not. The posts in this thread are pretty good. If you buy it for looks or sound it's good. Performance will be slightly hurt by one.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You say,

I live in Florida, When it gets hot and it does, My car with the AirAid air cleaner does not skyrocket with a temperture increase. I can sit and idle and the Temperture gage does not budge. I do have a temperture gage and not just the idiot light.

I was just up in Maryland on route 301 in Waldorf Maryland in a three hour traffic jam at about 95 Degrees outside temperture and guess what. My gage did not move at all because the thermostate regulates the engine operating temperture and was doing it's job. It took three hours of stop and go driving to go about ten miles without a problem. I just was happy to have an automatic transmission.

Hot air going into the intake may lose a little power at WOT but in normal driving it sure won't cause your engine to run hot. You have a different problem.
Ronnie
I understand. But on the 13-14s, you can actually see the degrees of the Ambient Air Temp coming in to the intake as well as Engine Temp. Yes, the radiator does its work keeping the engine cool. But at the same time, an open filter intake has a higher chance to draw in hotter air.

This is why I ditched my Airaid. As the Ambient Temps were hitting 150+. Especially after I would go to the drag strip. I would let me car idle for a bit and the air temp that was being sucked in to the intake was horrifying. Now with my stock airbox, it is not as much of a problem. Again, yes the engine stayed cool. But this means the radiator, water pump, etc now has to work harder to keep everything cool when it really should not have to.

I understand you have the Temp gauge, which I assume is the needle that reflects the coolant/engine temp. But it does not tell you how hot that air is when it initially comes in to your intake. Unless you are using your SCT tuner to show the IAT.

So now that I went back with a closed box setup, my air temp during idle normally does not go over 120. When I had the open filter setup, it would easily hit 130-150 during idle.

Also, while the engine temp may be fine, keep in mind the hotter air coming in to the engine is not as dense. So you get less air within the volume your engine is taking in. All of this only matters though if you are trying to squeeze every last hp/tq from the car as I assume it will be minute to the Daily Driver.

I visited Florida not too long ago and while IT IS hot there. I say Texas is more hot. So you might not see the air temp fluctuate AS much as I do here.

And please, no one buy in to Royal Purple's "Purple Ice". It does not keep your engine any cooler. Tried it, showed 0 change.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #16
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
^^^^ Inlet air and coolant temp are not the same.

and tunes MAY affect your wtty. I scored an Airaid intake used for sound alone and the cost to me after selling my OEM intake was well worth it. But I know if anything it hurt performance in the real world but I have a V6 performance was not the main reason I bought a Stang.

? I assume with any type of headers you need a tune am I guessing right/wrong.

OP, it depends on what you want out of a CAI if it's a good idea or not. The posts in this thread are pretty good. If you buy it for looks or sound it's good. Performance will be slightly hurt by one.
you dont NEED a tune with shorties, but it helps. You do NEED a tune with Longtubes. Non-negotiable as you will also be removing the stock cats and such.

I would say if you DO get a CAI, get the Steeda one with a tune. I would say an ideal setup would be Steeda CAI, BBK TB, Headers, Tune, and Gears. This should make the car have a ton of off-the-line grunt. Of course, good suspension and tires are a must as well. You can even go as far as porting the intake manifolds.

If you do go that far, get a good remote dialed in tune or a dyno tune. As you want the car completely dialed in for all of that. You don't want to be running too lean long-term.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard
Am I understanding this to imply that putting on an Airaid intake is "throwing more air at the car"?

I was trying to be politely sarcastic to an obvious sales pitch. If that makes any sense.LOL
Old 09-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #18
Kevin.Cook

I guess if you want to throw more air at the car...just point your back end towards it after some Taco Bell? Just sayin....
Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You say,

Ronnie
"Inlet" or intake air temperature, not engine temperature silly. 😝😝

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess if you want to throw more air at the car...just point your back end towards it after some Taco Bell? Just sayin....
Also, make sure you get a JLT catch can for such an occasion.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I do understand what your saying

The actual air going into the engine gets hotter when sitting at idle or in stop and go traffic. Of course it does. Look at your outside air thermometer and you will see that increase too. "NO AIR FLOW" Does it actually hurt anything ??? Probably not. When you get going, does the temperture drop back down. Of course it does.
Does the engine over heat ??? "NO"
The hot sun beating down on the hood, The lack of air because your stopped is what causes that extra harmless heat.
Ronnie
Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #22
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
The actual air going into the engine gets hotter when sitting at idle or in stop and go traffic. Of course it does. Look at your outside air thermometer and you will see that increase too. "NO AIR FLOW" Does it actually hurt anything ??? Probably not. When you get going, does the temperture drop back down. Of course it does.
The hot sun beating down on the hood, The lack of air because your stopped is what causes that extra harmless heat.
Ronnie
Yup. That is why I said a normal Daily Driver probably wouldn't notice. But if you go to the drag strip and want every last bit of power or advantage, the last thing you want to do is launch it and let the car breathe in a ton of nice, hot air. Because when this happens, all you hear is a loud fart coming from the exhaust.....lol just kidding.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ronnie
Lol.
Sometimes I just have to laugh at some of your posts. 😁😁😁😁😁
Thanks.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #24
Kevin.Cook

Well, I offered my info for the serious performance geek. so now....

I don't want any trouble! Last thing I need is to have my car harmed at the next AM show.... :0
Old 09-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yup. That is why I said a normal Daily Driver probably wouldn't notice. But if you go to the drag strip and want every last bit of power or advantage, the last thing you want to do is launch it and let the car breathe in a ton of nice, hot air. Because when this happens, all you hear is a loud fart coming from the exhaust.....lol just kidding.
+1.
The stock airbox is not restrictive in any way and will always be more of a true cold air intake as its a completely sealed box.
Other than looks and sound its not worth it. Unless your FI, the stock box will provide more than enough air for our engines.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #26
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1.
The stock airbox is not restrictive in any way and will always be more of a true cold air intake as its a completely sealed box. It might be just a few degrees but still.
Other than looks and sound its not worth it. Unless your FI the stock box will provide more than enough air for our engines.

Sent from LG G3.
I use the aFe drop-in filter with the Airaid modular tube. I also went to this setup due to the hood vents leaking in water during extremely heavy rain. It would just drip down inside the Airaid open filter.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

Ronnie

It's more of a performance thing Ronnie. Colder air = mo powa.

"Cold air" intakes are laughable in certain situations because it's more like they prohibit cold air from being accessed.

Engine temps are hardly a factor here.

If outside temp (ambient reading on info center) is 100

Sock cold air will prob get you very similar air intake temps.

Aftermarket open ones tend to suck up the engine bay ambient temps, typically hotter air. That's really all they are discussing here.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #28
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
It's more of a performance thing Ronnie. Colder air = mo powa.

"Cold air" intakes are laughable in certain situations because it's more like they prohibit cold air from being accessed.

Engine temps are hardly a factor here.

If outside temp (ambient reading on info center) is 100

Sock cold air will prob get you very similar air intake temps.

Aftermarket open ones tend to suck up the engine bay ambient temps, typically hotter air. That's really all they are discussing here.
I can totally picture you saying that like Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 09-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmanuel View Post

A CAI will do nothing for your Mustang besides making the engine bay louder.

If I were you and on a tight budget I would do as I did and get the SCT tuner on Amazon for $330 and skip the custom tunes for now. I found all the power I needed and very nice shift firmness through just the SCT alone. I did the 91 octane setup and couldn't be happier.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #30
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
A CAI will do nothing for your Mustang besides making the engine bay louder.

If I were you and on a tight budget I would do as I did and get the SCT tuner on Amazon for $330 and skip the custom tunes for now. I found all the power I needed and very nice shift firmness through just the SCT alone. I did the 91 octane setup and couldn't be happier.
I got you beat man. I bought an SCT X3 for 200 and now I am gonna buy an MPT custom tune for 70.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi, Fast Ford

You say,
Quote:
Sometimes I just have to laugh at some of your posts.
I'm glad I can make you laugh. My big problem is I have not been around many race cars or drag strips at all in my short lifetime.
I only remember a few of the very crude things we had to do when we had carborators like making a can with copper coils wraped around the inside and filled it with ice to connect to the fuel lines to get the gas as cold as possable.
Putting ice on the intake manafold, Using a hood scoop drewing air into the Air cleaner, Have a timing light with us to bump up the timing.
It was a different era and that is what we did when we did the drags.

This is 2015 and the engines are much different now and with fuel injection and computer timing plus all of the traction control stuff things have changed.

When I did my only run to see what my car would do. I just let air out of the back tires, Filled the front tires to 45 psi, Did not run through the water, Left the traction control on and throttled it slowly and mashed it.
It was about 70 or 75 out that night and perfect weather. NO WIND AT ALL. I did a 13.3 and my time slip is someplace on this forum.

I do listen to you young guys and do learn a lot. I don't race or track anymore so using the AirAid for eye candy is just fine with me.

All I was saying is that just driving the car on the street, The hot air going into the intake is harmless and when you get going and the air blows through the radiator and it cools down. The hot air will cost power but not really hurt your engine.

Ronnie
Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #32
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
You say,

I'm glad I can make you laugh. My big problem is I have not been around many race cars or drag strips at all in my short lifetime.
I only remember a few of the very crude things we had to do when we had carborators like making a can with copper coils wraped around the inside and filled it with ice to connect to the fuel lines to get the gas as cold as possable.
Putting ice on the intake manafold, Using a hood scoop drewing air into the Air cleaner, Have a timing light with us to bump up the timing.
It was a different era and that is what we did when we did the drags.

This is 2015 and the engines are much different now and with fuel injection and computer timing plus all of the traction control stuff things have changed.

When I did my only run to see what my car would do. I just let air out of the back tires, Filled the front tires to 45 psi, Did not run through the water, Left the traction control on and throttled it slowly and mashed it.
It was about 70 or 75 out that night and perfect weather. NO WIND AT ALL. I did a 13.3 and my time slip is someplace on this forum.

I do listen to you young guys and do learn a lot. I don't race or track anymore so using the AirAid for eye candy is just fine with me.

All I was saying is that just driving the car on the street, The hot air going into the intake is harmless and when you get going and the air blows through the radiator and it cools down. The hot air will cost power but not really hurt your engine.

Ronnie
Hey Ronnie I never meant to ruffle feathers. We all learn new things every day. I still always look forward to reading your posts.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Me 2 Ronnie! 👍😇

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

This is really simple to solve, and those who have read my posts before know what a broken record this is going to sound like, but just get a datalog. I'd do it myself, but quite frankly i don't care lol.

For the sake of argument, lets say power is made through density; D = m/v

i'll run through this in laymen's terms.
Gas condenses when it is cold, therefore decreasing V, and increasing our density since our denominator has been reduced.
Now, the argument can be made that a CAI flows more air through the open element filter, which would increase our density by increasing our numerator M.

All someone would need to do is look at intake temperature, and MAF air flow ( i believe the mustang measures in grams/second) for each intake. You could then compare the numbers for both and see which flows more air. This would be more beneficial than a dyno, because i believe the "ram air effect" of driving really does improve things that a dyno cannot replicate for this test.

That being said, i need to bust out my magnahelic gauge and do some testing, because i would not be surprised if the stock airbox was actually able to slightly pressurize itself at speed. Something an open element filter obviously could not achieve. Just takes testing.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey guy's

Ain't no problem here. I Give my thoughts and I recieve others thoughts on things. That is what a forum is. Discussions.
If we were all sitting around in a diner like we did in the old days we would still be hashing out stuff and either agreeing or not agreeing but still remaining friends. This forum is kind of like that.
When I say something really stupid just call me out on it. I really miss the old days of hanging out at the diner, Street Racing, Going to the Drag strip on Saturday night or Sunday and just talking car smack etc.
I got heavey into Motorcycles for a while but always loved good crisp street cars.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai