Unconnected Vacuum Line - ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Unconnected Vacuum Line - ???

After having my mustang for about 15 months now I just today discovered a hose hanging down low near the steering column.(I lifted it up and laid it on the hose going to the brake booster) As soon as I discovered the hose I spotted that PVC tee type connection with an open connection. So I say to myself...WTF? (1st picture)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8107.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	191526

The other end of the hose was connected to the air intake tube, close to filter box.(2nd picture)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd pic.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	191527
I started engine and put my finger on the tee connection and sure enough it was pulling a small vacuum.
I had the oil changed by the dealer a few months ago and they obviously didn't notice it.
Also, I noticed that this hose lacked a clamp similar to what the others have. Could it have been left off from the factory?
(I did do the headers myself, in the 1st month I had the car, but I'm pretty sure I never touched that hose.)
But moving forward, what exactly is that small amount of vacuum suppose to do? I'm assuming the hose to the brake booster has a high vacuum.??
How would that affect my air intake?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
after having my mustang for about 15 months now i just today discovered a hose hanging down low near the steering column.(i lifted it up and laid it on the hose going to the brake booster) as soon as i discovered the hose i spotted that pvc tee type connection with an open connection. So i say to myself...wtf? (1st picture)
Attachment 191526

the other end of the hose was connected to the air intake tube, close to filter box.(2nd picture)
Attachment 191527
i started engine and put my finger on the tee connection and sure enough it was pulling a small vacuum.
I had the oil changed by the dealer a few months ago and they obviously didn't notice it.
Also, i noticed that this hose lacked a clamp similar to what the others have. Could it have been left off from the factory?
(i did do the headers myself, in the 1st month i had the car, but i'm pretty sure i never touched that hose.)
but moving forward, what exactly is that small amount of vacuum suppose to do? I'm assuming the hose to the brake booster has a high vacuum.??
How would that affect my air intake?

crank case vent? Pcv pulls air through engine from filter
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
crank case vent? Pcv pulls air through engine from filter
Well now that I reconnected it, I will pay attention to any subtle changes, if any.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 11:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think that hose is used to bleed off excess vacuum to the brake booster. It is drawing metered air from the intake tube. Probably, if you step on the brake, the vacuum from that tee will diminish, or disappear altogether.
That's my theory anyways...

You've actually discovered two separate un-metered air vacuum leaks. One at the intake tube, and one at that tee. You might notice a small difference in the way that the engine runs. If you don't have a tune, you might want to do a idle relearn procedure to speed up the computers process of relearning the air and fuel trims.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

And while you're at it, you might want to spring for some small stainless screw (band) hose clamps to replace the one that's missing.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang