water pump seal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

Region: Florida
water pump seal

Mustang MCA premium pkg convertible; I love it, but only 28,000 and at the garage for a new water pump...left me sit. Isn't this a little early for stuff like this? I live in coastal central FL, but really. Thanks to the Auto Gods its still under warrenty. Ford dealer also "looked over" the car, (funny how they had time to do that but the car had to wait a day to get looked at after the tow) and it "needs" new cabin air filter (had new one last yr) new engine oil filter (new one last yr) and Fuel Injection Service. My commute = 15 highway an other easy driving...some stop and go, but I am not quick to jump on the gas. Maybe bc the gas mpg sucks? .
tcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Mustang MCA premium pkg convertible; I love it, but only 28,000 and at the garage for a new water pump...left me sit. Isn't this a little early for stuff like this? I live in coastal central FL, but really. Thanks to the Auto Gods its still under warrenty. Ford dealer also "looked over" the car, (funny how they had time to do that but the car had to wait a day to get looked at after the tow) and it "needs" new cabin air filter (had new one last yr) new engine oil filter (new one last yr) and Fuel Injection Service. My commute = 15 highway an other easy driving...some stop and go, but I am not quick to jump on the gas. Maybe bc the gas mpg sucks? .
Had my waterpump replaced too.

They fail early because there is no check valve on the hoses to prevent air from getting in the system. make sure they install the new hoses with check valves but i'm sure they will
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaRedSixxer View Post
Had my waterpump replaced too.

They fail early because there is no check valve on the hoses to prevent air from getting in the system. make sure they install the new hoses with check valves but i'm sure they will
Still check that they do. There will be what looks like an extra clamp near the degas bottle end of the hose. The engine end will also be marked.

Gotta love all the extras they try to tack on...
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Your oil filter should be changed with every oil change...
Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Your oil filter should be changed with every oil change...

?
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

water pump seal

Dont go for their "fuel injection service". All most places do is dump a bottle of fuel system cleaner in your gas tank and run the car for a bit.

If you want that, go buy the Royal Purple bottle of fuel system cleaner or something.

Oil filter should be changed with every oil change. At least I do.

And i change my cabin air filters once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-29-2015, 05:36 AM   #7
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
?

Read the original post.

One of the suggested services was "replace engine oil filter".
Old 09-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Read the original post.

One of the suggested services was "replace engine oil filter".

BUT WHO SAID HE HAD CHANGED THE OIL,WITH LIMITED MILEAGE SOME FOLKS ONLY CHANGE OIL ONCE A YEAR
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Still check that they do. There will be what looks like an extra clamp near the degas bottle end of the hose. The engine end will also be marked.

Gotta love all the extras they try to tack on...
I dont think my dealer put the check valve on. Do you have a pic of what it looks like? And on the service record with the part numbers it doesnt have it just the waterpump, but i got a new belt thats not on there so maybe it was a kit?!
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The correct hose is really easy to spot. It is the small hose that comes out of the top of the tank and goes to the motor. The hose with the valve goes straight down from the tank and there is a metal clip on the hose there. The valve is inside the hose and the clip holds it. Everyone should check theirs and replace it before it causes a leak. That's what I did and so far so good.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	ER3Z-8276-A.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	534.8 KB
ID:	191699Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose ER3Z-8276-A.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	191698
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yep dont have one ;( how much is it for the check valve.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 10-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
around $20.....easy install. I did it for preventive fix.

it's sold as a complete hose
Old 10-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Read this thread....

2012 leaking coolant. Help!

Those who have not gotten the revised hose with the check valve, I would recommend purchasing it and installing before your water pump goes out as well. It's not a matter of if, but when. By not having a check valve on the hose, air is getting into the system causing the pumps to fail.

There is also a TSB on this issue:
Coolant Pump Leakage Due to Air Entering the System – 2011-2014 Ford MustangOEMDTC - OEMDTC

I called my Ford dealer today and got the part for around $25. Will be picking up tomorrow and installing ASAP. The reason they are failing so early is because air is getting into the system. The TSB recommends replacing the pump as well (my guess is because there may be damage to the pump already.) I have no indication of damage to the pump so I am just going to change the hose and hope for the best.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Many previous posts on this subject mentioned having the water pump replaced under, either the bumper to bumper or the drive train warranty.
As I recall, the people that did not have it covered were told that it was the fault of the hose, which lacked the check valve.
What are peoples thoughts as to if and when any of this stuff is covered under a warranty?
Suppose we were to put the correct hose w/check valve in and the water pump fails down the road? Shouldn't this be covered under the drive train warranty since it can't be blamed on the hose missing a check valve?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Many previous posts on this subject mentioned having the water pump replaced under, either the bumper to bumper or the drive train warranty.

As I recall, the people that did not have it covered were told that it was the fault of the hose, which lacked the check valve.

What are peoples thoughts as to if and when any of this stuff is covered under a warranty?

Suppose we were to put the correct hose w/check valve in and the water pump fails down the road? Shouldn't this be covered under the drive train warranty since it can't be blamed on the hose missing a check valve?

Good point. I'm sure they will then blame it on the gasket.. And since the gasket isn't "part of the drivetrain" then they won't cover it. Not saying all dealers are going to do that, but some of them are stingy. I think it's a good idea to take a preventative measure before getting into such a situation.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 10-02-2015, 12:31 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
They'd probably deny your claim because you "modified" the car.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:32 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

in response to DieHard's? I would be PO'd if the wtty was denied and yep that is getting off on a technicality. I'd like to see them prove that in court this is why I laugh when folks mention the Magnusson/Moss act. All Ford has to do is deny and until the court says otherwise you are out for repair costs.

replace it now as a preventive hopefully it works.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the responses. Definitely will replace it.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

DieHard,

Come on the cruise you'll have a chance to steal one from Me, Tym, Shu, I think Fintle did his too. We'll have enough people to fill the kiddie table.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Can someone link me to the place you got it from or the cheapest place.
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 10-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
They'd probably deny your claim because you "modified" the car.
Took my car in for the water pump and they replaced it but forgot the hose. And they replaced the sway bar endlinks. I have lca relocation brakets and a modified car they didnt car most dealers want the money to replace easy parts. They will lie to the warranty provider if needed just to make an extra half an hour of labor
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

I got mine from Tasca Ford also look at Tousley Ford (now Great Lakes/Bear ?)
Old 10-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
DieHard,

Come on the cruise you'll have a chance to steal one from Me, Tym, Shu, I think Fintle did his too. We'll have enough people to fill the kiddie table.

I appreciate the personal invite and as much as I'd like to join in on the fun, I can't make it.
I would have liked to have seen how the color match turned out on Tym's hood.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed3.7 View Post
Can someone link me to the place you got it from or the cheapest place.
They have them on eBay for $19 shipped. Not sure if it's the revised version though. They also have it at the dealer for around $25. You're talking a $6 difference to be certain that it has the check valve. Spend the pennies to save you dollars.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang