Finally pulled the trigger on some 3.55s!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins View Post
It was recommended by the shop. Plus, I read other posts on here suggesting to perform the fluid change. One of the reasons was to flush out an metal particles that the gears may produce.

I've also read that it's pointless to swap fluid. You don't swap fluid within 1000 miles of buying a new vehicle.. So why would you swap fluid after a gear change.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #37
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'll say for the # of problems people have with swaps IF it helps at all it's cheap insurance.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #38
Staff

Regular
Staff

So, on the drive home yesterday I paid attention to RPM's and shift points. I THINK 3.73 would be my choice if I was given one. I don't do much hwy driving (20%?) and for the rest of my back roads driving I could just be in a higher gear. I tend to keep it at 2k when I'm cruising regardless of speed I just shift up/down. 3.31 to 3.73 is about a 15% increase in engine rpm which at hwy cruise speed of 70 (2100 up to 2400) I'm guessing if you keep rpms the same hwy is the only place I'd loose MPG.

I'm already dissapointed with it.
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Finally pulled the trigger on some 3.55s!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
So, on the drive home yesterday I paid attention to RPM's and shift points. I THINK 3.73 would be my choice if I was given one. I don't do much hwy driving (20%?) and for the reat of my back roads driving I could just be in a higher gear. I tend to keep it at 2k when I'm cruising regardless of speed I just shift up/down. 3.31 to 3.73 is about a 15% increase in engine rpm which at hwy cruise speed of 70 (2100 up to 2400) I'm guessing if you keep rpms the same hwy is the only place I'd loose MPG.

If you don't do a lot of hw, I say go for the 3.73s! I'm by the city and do a lot of 70mph driving on the hw so that was a big deciding factor in getting 3.55s. Also, I will be going w a forced induction set up eventually and 3.55s would be perfect to stay in the power band just a tad longer. I'm getting them installed tomorrow morning!!! Can't wait!! Then off to the track this weekend! Gotta install my lighter wheels cause these 20" just are not cutting it for the track lol

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 10-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Nice thing about getting the tuner first is that after the gear install you can immediately reprogram the car for the new gear ratio.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
So, on the drive home yesterday I paid attention to RPM's and shift points. I THINK 3.73 would be my choice if I was given one. I don't do much hwy driving (20%?) and for the rest of my back roads driving I could just be in a higher gear. I tend to keep it at 2k when I'm cruising regardless of speed I just shift up/down. 3.31 to 3.73 is about a 15% increase in engine rpm which at hwy cruise speed of 70 (2100 up to 2400) I'm guessing if you keep rpms the same hwy is the only place I'd loose MPG.

Not sure i follow this statement at the end here...disappointed with what?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
If you don't do a lot of hw, I say go for the 3.73s! I'm by the city and do a lot of 70mph driving on the hw so that was a big deciding factor in getting 3.55s. Also, I will be going w a forced induction set up eventually and 3.55s would be perfect to stay in the power band just a tad longer. I'm getting them installed tomorrow morning!!! Can't wait!! Then off to the track this weekend! Gotta install my lighter wheels cause these 20" just are not cutting it for the track lol
Congrats! What gear are you coming from again? 2.73?

Also are your 20"s factory or after market? Brand makes a big difference as not every 20" wheel will be heavy you should do a test and see.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #43
Kevin.Cook

So were these ever installed?

I love the 3.31s in my 2011 manual. I feel that is about my limit due to the frequency of shifting and such while doing daily driving.

3.73s in my 2014 Auto is perfect because you don't do the shifting. So take advantage to all of the "power" you can get with an Auto.

God bless those with 3.73s and 4.10s in their manuals. I don't see how you can do it.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post

I love the 3.31s in my 2011 manual. I feel that is about my limit due to the frequency of shifting and such while doing daily driving.

3.73s in my 2014 Auto is perfect because you don't do the shifting. So take advantage to all of the "power" you can get with an Auto.

God bless those with 3.73s and 4.10s in their manuals. I don't see how you can do it.
I will have them installed soon....very....very...sooon
Old 10-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #45
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I will have them installed soon....very....very...sooon
Be prepared to start in 2nd gear. Heck you can probably start in 3rd with the 4.10s. LMAO!

And your your left leg and right arm will get ripped if you go the 4.10 route.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah 4.10 is way to much for the way these mt82s are geared. My 3.55s are getting installed as we speak!! I will let you know how it feels when I pick her up tonight

Old 10-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah 4.10 is way to much for the way these mt82s are geared. My 3.55s are getting installed as we speak!! I will let you know how it feels when I pick her up tonight
Hope everything goes well with the install and keep us posted. You'll definitely love it best mod ever.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #48
Kevin.Cook

If the install goes south, I would use their restroom and not flush. PAYBACK!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's not enough buddy, I would spread it around the ceiling.. Lol... 😈

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Old 10-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I wouldn't even use the restroom. I'd just do it right in the main office. No shame.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #51
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
That's not enough buddy, I would spread it around the ceiling.. Lol... 😈

Quote:
I wouldn't even use the restroom. I'd just do it right in the main office. No shame.
You guys are something else
Old 10-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #52
Staff

Regular
Staff

disappointed with gas mileage I get 21-23 I was expecting 26-27 which is the highest I've ever had. Yeah, I know where the main problem lies (or should I say sits)
Old 10-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #53
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
disappointed with gas mileage I get 21-23 I was expecting 26-27 which is the highest I've ever had. Yeah, I know where the main problem lies (or should I say sits)
in the engine bay? LMAO! Sorry man I had too!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Oh no, I will be going with 3.73s. 4.10s are way too much. I barely have a 1st gear as it is with 3.31s!

Quote:
make sure you eat a Burger King Halloween Burger before you do...
Old 10-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

3.73's are awesome!!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You gonna luv dem!!

Old 10-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #57
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
3.73's are awesome!!

oh yea in my Auto they are. But I have driven a 3.7 manual with 2.73s and 3.31s. And personally I feel most comfortable with 3.31.

I thought earlier I wouldn't go any higher. But now that I think of it, maybe 3.55s would be best. Because when on the highway with 3.31s, I am at almost 3k RPM at 60mph. and 6th has no power really. So maybe a slightly higher gear would make me more comfy in 6th on the highway.

However, I am not going to go through the headache of another gear install. So I will live with the 3.31s. lol
Old 10-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
oh yea in my Auto they are. But I have driven a 3.7 manual with 2.73s and 3.31s. And personally I feel most comfortable with 3.31.

I thought earlier I wouldn't go any higher. But now that I think of it, maybe 3.55s would be best. Because when on the highway with 3.31s, I am at almost 3k RPM at 60mph. and 6th has no power really. So maybe a slightly higher gear would make me more comfy in 6th on the highway.

However, I am not going to go through the headache of another gear install. So I will live with the 3.31s. lol
Hey Kev, did you have any gear whine after the install? And have you checked the axle for leaks lately? Just curious. Thanks man.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I remember the problems you had, its a good idea to stick with 3.31s. If I had 3.31s in my car to start with I might not have opted for a gear change either, but those horrible 2.73s were brutal and left me with no choice. Lol

Old 10-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #60
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Hey Kev, did you have any gear whine after the install? And have you checked the axle for leaks lately? Just curious. Thanks man.

After the first gear install on the 2014 I had hella gear noise. After they redid them, It is almost not even noticeable. As far as leaks, I haven't got it back on a lift since. I gave the car to my wife and don't pay much attention to it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Yeah I remember the problems you had, its a good idea to stick with 3.31s. If I had 3.31s in my car to start with I might not have opted for a gear change either, but those horrible 2.73s were brutal and left me with no choice. Lol

Well with my Auto I got greedy. It already had 3.31s but I wanted more grunt.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After the first gear install on the 2014 I had hella gear noise. After they redid them, It is almost not even noticeable. As far as leaks, I haven't got it back on a lift since. I gave the car to my wife and don't pay much attention to it anymore.

Almost not even noticeable? So it's still there? We have the same situation man after they redid my gears for bad bearing and this stupid noise came along. I described it like a very faint sound, it sounds like a jet plane a very faint sound. Is this yours sound like?

Well with my Auto I got greedy. It already had 3.31s but I wanted more grunt.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #62
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Yes sir! I think it sounds bad a**. LOL As it isn't intrusive like it was, but it makes the car sound like a plane.

I would guess the shimming is ever so slightly off. Which shouldn't cause issues if that is all it is. Now if a bearing was busted, then we have some real problems.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes sir! I think it sounds bad a**. LOL As it isn't intrusive like it was, but it makes the car sound like a plane.

I would guess the shimming is ever so slightly off. Which shouldn't cause issues if that is all it is. Now if a bearing was busted, then we have some real problems.
Holy crap we have the same problem, did you ever call the shop to have them looked at it? I hope it doesn't go escalate into a big problem.. It sounds like Tesla inside my car with the rumble of a muscle car lol... But if you Crack the window just a tiny bit you won't hear it anymore or if you're in the hi way.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #64
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Holy crap we have the same problem, did you ever call the shop to have them looked at it? I hope it doesn't go escalate into a big problem.. It sounds like Tesla inside my car with the rumble of a muscle car lol... But if you Crack the window just a tiny bit you won't hear it anymore or if you're in the hi way.

So do people drive past each other and wave "Hi"?

Yea probably the same thing but shouldn't be an issue. I had another buddy inspect it. I am not gonna take it in and be down the car for another week or w/e just to possibly have the same turnout.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So do people drive past each other and wave "Hi"?

Yea probably the same thing but shouldn't be an issue. I had another buddy inspect it. I am not gonna take it in and be down the car for another week or w/e just to possibly have the same turnout.
Now I'f it was a supercharger whine that will be something.. Maybe someday..

That might be a good decision just leave it as it is than dealing with headache with the install again..

Old 10-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #66
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Now I'f it was a supercharger whine that will be something.. Maybe someday..

That might be a good decision just leave it as it is than dealing with headache with the install again..

Get you one of those TB spacers that produce the whistling sound. LOL!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #67
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
in the engine bay? LMAO! Sorry man I had too!!!
D'oh
Old 10-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #68
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
D'oh
Hey man, you definitely set yourself up for that one. LOL
Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

OKAY! So... Finally picked her up and had to run a few errands. All I have to say is... WOW! This is by far the best performance mod I've done on her so far. I am extremely pleased with the results. No gear whine at all. No noticeable noise increase. And so far no noticeable gas mileage decrease. These 3.55s are PERFECT in my opinion for a daily driver who frequently travels on the highway. If you don't do a lot of highway driving, I would recommend the 3.73s. This is how these cars should've come from the factory.

I have to get used to the different shift points and what not, but I am very surprised how much more grunt I have on the low end. Exactly what these 3.7s need. I've done a lot of performance mods to increase the low end and nothing has improved it better than the gear swap.

If you are still running the 2.73s... I recommend changing them out. NOW! You will be extremely pleased with the results and how much it changes the car.

Also... I am from the Chicagoland area and there are a few reputable shops around the area that work specifically on mustangs and the 8.8 rear end. I ended up going with a shop in Arlington Heights by the name of D Mark Performance. His name is Drew and he knows his ****. Builds mustangs and races them and has done a countless number of gear swaps and such. I asked him about gear break in and if I have to change the fluid out after 1,000 miles (this was mentioned previously in this thread) His response was this... There is no real mileage break-in period. BUT there are heat-cycle periods. He says you have to take it easy for a few days and let everything expand and contract properly. Said not to beat up on it until a handful of heat cycles (meaning driving the car for awhile and then letting it sit and cool down). As for changing the fluid... he looked at me like I had two heads when I asked him if I have to change the fluid after a thousand miles or so. He said he has never heard of changing fluid after install because there is going to be no metal shavings or anything in the diff. Again, this is coming from someone who has done a countless number of gear installs and builds racecars for a living. Not only that, but will stand behind his work if something were to happen.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the 3.55s and I would recommend them to anyone. I wasn't able to beat on her very much so I kept it under 4k because of the heat-cycle periods. I will update in a few days/week when I hit the track through a separate thread.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryVeryEvilGuy View Post
25 mpg highway? Sounds about right with your setup. Now, if that's 25 mpg mixed then you've got one fuel efficient 'stang. I average ~20 mpg with my 2.73 due to all the intown driving (lots of hills by me) - highway is around 29 mpg. Hoping the 3.55 will bump that up to at least 21 mixed without bringing the highway lower than 27 if I baby it a bit.
Yeah the majority of it is highway. 60-70mph.
I do drive in town a decent amount too
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang