Tuner - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
Thanks Hawk I really appreciate it. Sorry to hijack this thread!
Okay I got the pics uploaded (below). Do NOT use any custom tunes that are on a used SCT. They are written for specific ECUs and it's not worth the risk of frying your ECU.

Like I said, first thing to do is reset to factory which will clear everything off the SCT and make it like new. Second is to download all the updates for the SCT. This will all be done by wifi or connecting to a computer and without hooking it up to your car.

Then I would download the install instructions from SCT and follow to a tee. The pics I attached show you the options you can adjust when you hook it up to your car. Also, when you first hook it up to your car you will get the option to detect your VIN and vehicle info, you do not have to enter it manually.

Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #37
Kevin.Cook

If you buy an x3, i dont think there is an option to reset it. I have an x3 and x4. For x3s, i guess you just have to make sure they are up to date and unmarried?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
If you buy an x3, i dont think there is an option to reset it. I have an x3 and x4. For x3s, i guess you just have to make sure they are up to date and unmarried?

If it's an x3 he is looking at he'd be better of getting a new x4 imo. Hopefully it's an x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #39
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
also, and this is part of the basic stuff:

When uploading your tune into the car. Shut off all electrical stuff and do NOT turn anything on when doing it. Do NOT try it with a weak battery and some people prefer to have a trickle charger/tender hooked up to ensure steady voltage.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #40
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
If it's an x3 he is looking at he'd be better of getting a new x4 imo. Hopefully it's an x4.
True. But I was looking to be cheap and $200 for an x3 and $65 for a tune - Couldn't beat that. And I am not looking at doing much modding on the 2011 later so I don't need to worry about tunes for life or anything like that.

If anything else got modded, it would be driveshaft and suspension. Which a tune is not needed for.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
@Hawk
Exactly what I have been looking for! Thanks man this is awesome! Unfortunately some unforeseen events happened and I don't have the dough for a tuner anymore. Hopefully soon, I'll bookmark this thread. Thanks again everyone.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Speaking of used tuners , anyone know of one for sale? IN SEARCH OF ONE(:

iamcesarmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:28 AM   #43
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
have you looked in the classifieds/posted a ISO? Ebay/Amazon will work too. the tuners are generic anyone will work. It's the tunes that are Mustang specific.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Ebay has a few used. I recommend getting the SCT X4 as that's the latest one. I also recommend going with one of the big names for a custom tune, ie Steeda, BAMA, LUND, etc. Keep in mind you are changing your car's computer programming so if anything goes wrong, the dealer can give you issues due to your tune, regardless of whether the tune is responsible or not. When you use one of the bigger companies, they stand behind their product and can provide support if this is the case. Also, depending on what mods you have or want to add in the future, the custom tunes will be able to squeeze out more performance from those mods than a generic tune will since it is tweaked specifically for you. If cost is an issue, I'd get a used tuner (like you're trying to do) and a one time tune from one of the companies I mentioned. You can always add more tunes later if you decide to, but you'll have a little piece of mind and a little better bang for your buck. My 0.02
VeryVeryEvilGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just wanted to give my experience with buying a used tuner.

For me I was able to get a 7015 SCT Tuner SF4/X4 from a member here, whom had a 2010 GT.

The tuner is in pristine condition when I got and it did have the 2010's GT custom tunes from MPT still on the device.

SO right away I knew I had to reset the tuner back to stock (Thank You HawkStang for your help and pictures!!!!). Believe it or not reseting the tuner is quite simple and really fast to do (all is done on the device itself). Once you do reset the device it returns all of its "Pre-Loaded" or "Canned" tunes. I could go more in depth about installing, upgrading the tuner's firmware and etc but that's not the point of this post.

For over 2 weeks now I have been running the SCT Pre-Loaded 93 octane tune on my sixxer with absolutely no issues! Matter of fact my car purrs so much better now.

No more rough idles after filling up the tank (87 octane was doing this for me) and the over all "Lag" or "Acceleration pedal hesitation" is almost completely gone. This is from a V6 with the 2.73's 6 Speed M/T.

I know the Ford Stock V6 tune is a self aware tune that can adjust to different octanes but I just did not want to take a chance on that plus I wanted a tuner for future mods.

All in all - I am sure getting a custom tune is important when you heavily modify your vehicle but if your like me. Base V6 with 2.73's, Axle Back exhaust and an AFE Inverted drop in filter, the pre-loaded tunes do just fine!

So if your on a budget and come across a used SF4/X4/7015 SCT tuner for $200-300 jump on it ASAP!

Thanks, Sam.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Sam, glad to hear you are having the same successful results with the can tune. Just as you stated, my Stan runs so much better with the can tune. I went 91 and it actually completely eliminated the occasional high rev han shift issue I had with the crappy Ford stock tune.

The most noticeable change for me is when I am strolling along from 35-45 mph and need to get around someone in a hurry... hit the throttle and BAM, no ecu "thinking", just instant response to the proper gear and take off like a rocket.

As I have said many times, if I engine mod I will consider the custom tunes, but until then it just seems like throwing money away.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang