Tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Tuner

Would there be any problem in buying a used unmarried tuner and then buying the bama tunes for life or mpt tunes?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Gumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nope.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Like Voltwings said, nope. That's exactly what I did and saved over $100.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah id rather spend $350 than $500

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 10-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Spend $275. Used tuners pop up for $200 all the time, and grab you a $75 tune from MPT. /Thread.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Tuner

It's only $375 for the handheld and tunes from AM. You guys are spending more for used handhelds.

$375 with discount.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 the $200 price is the norm....and as long as it's unlocked (ask for pics or someone you can trust) there ain't really anything that goes wrong with them.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbus View Post
Would there be any problem in buying a used unmarried tuner and then buying the bama tunes for life or mpt tunes?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Just make DAMN SURE that you change the VIN to YOUR number before installing any tune. If you don't you will jack up your ECU.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
It's only $375 for the handheld and tunes from AM. You guys are spending more for used handhelds.

$375 with discount.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
What discount?
rlma84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlma84 View Post
What discount?

The forum discount

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #11

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The forum discount

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Ohh snap i almost forgot i had that discount thanks for the reminder
rlma84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Just make DAMN SURE that you change the VIN to YOUR number before installing any tune. If you don't you will jack up your ECU.

Is that difficult to do?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 10-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is that difficult to do?

2013 mustang v6 premium
No. You should be able to reset it or choose to detect it, but make sure you do it BEFORE installing any tune, even just the SCT one.

I suggest trying just the SCT before you purchase any custom tunes. The SCT 91 octane alone gave me everything I wanted. Nice firm shifts and very noticeable performance gain.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
There are also the Steeda Tunes for life as well

Also, we have forum discounts!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Is that difficult to do?

2013 mustang v6 premium
just tell your tuner what the code is...they'll tell you where to look for it (if you are getting an email tune).
Old 10-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So if I am able to get a used unmarried tuner, I would still have to get tunes for it? I thought the tuner devices themselves come with preloaded tunes? I am probably wrong but thats what my thinking process is.

I know custom tunes you would have to do the whole emailing the data log or getting a dyno tune that would be an extra expense. But again I am probably wrong!

Never owned one nor have I ever done this kind of modification to a vehicle before.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
So if I am able to get a used unmarried tuner, I would still have to get tunes for it? I thought the tuner devices themselves come with preloaded tunes? I am probably wrong but thats what my thinking process is.

I know custom tunes you would have to do the whole emailing the data log or getting a dyno tune that would be an extra expense. But again I am probably wrong!

Never owned one nor have I ever done this kind of modification to a vehicle before.
The xbox example is the easiest way i can think to explain this to folks.

If you buy a new xbox, for the sake of argument, it will come with a game that you can immediately start playing.

If you buy a used Xbox, all you have is an xbox, and you have to go out and get your own games. Make sense?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

some are preloaded but they need to be tunes for your engine. Even if it's got them in it for your model/engine/transmission I THINK there is some type of 4 digit strategy code that needs to match. It ain't a huge savings to buy used but there is a savings even after paying for tunes.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

So really getting a new one is the only option that makes sense unless you can get an unmarried tuner for $200 or less but you are still stuck with paying for tunes which will still put you around the $350-$375 range.

I just want to do something with my car in sense of a tune or performance. I know the 2.73's is what is really holding me back but a Gear install is another expense on its own and still requires a tuner in the end.

I want a tuner so I can get gears, h-pipe and shorties installed. So again a Tuner is needed first.

Thank You Volt and Strange for the clarification.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

call me Mud................
Old 10-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Spend $275. Used tuners pop up for $200 all the time, and grab you a $75 tune from MPT. /Thread.
Quote:
So really getting a new one is the only option that makes sense unless you can get an unmarried tuner for $200 or less but you are still stuck with paying for tunes which will still put you around the $350-$375 range.

I just want to do something with my car in sense of a tune or performance. I know the 2.73's is what is really holding me back but a Gear install is another expense on its own and still requires a tuner in the end.

I want a tuner so I can get gears, h-pipe and shorties installed. So again a Tuner is needed first.

Thank You Volt and Strange for the clarification.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The SCT does come with a preloaded tune. It will take you through a series of questions when you load it (gear ratio, octane, air box type, max speed, idle setting, etc). You select what you want and it will create the tune for you. That is what I decided to try before spending any money on "custom" tunes, just to see what king of performance gains I got from the tuner itself.

Bottom line, do yourself a favor and try this route first. If you like it (as I have) then you might decide to hold off on a custom tune for now.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

but it was a tune designed for your car one for another vehicle won't work.

The tunes for life from various people are what I would call "semi-custom" as opposed to going to a shop with a dyno and having a true custom tune.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

email tunes are 100% custom, exact same as a dyno tune.

OR, i should say, they at least have the absolute potential to be. It just depends on how you are about logging with your tuner where they decide to call it "good" or "good enough."
Old 10-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

@Hawk
See that is what I thought as well but now I am even more confused....

@Mud
Sorry MUD....

@Volt
Yea I see what you said but:
$200 for a tuner
$70 MPT Tune (Only one tune...)

That would be $270 right?

Add the Ghost Cam Tune $120 now thats a total of $390.

Where as if I were get the tuner straight from MPT with the Ghost Cam tune it would be $449 plus two other tunes.

No clue more confused then ever! Gotta go close my Wanted AD now...

Old 10-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
email tunes can be 100% custom, pretty much the same as a dyno tune.

OR, i should say, they at least they have the potential to be. It just depends on how you are about logging with your tuner and where they decide to call it "good" or "good enough."
Fixed that for ya!
Old 10-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

shhhh i knew what i meant lol

Quote:
@Hawk

@Mud
Sorry MUD....

@Volt
$200 for a tuner

Where as if I were get the tuner straight from MPT with the Ghost Cam tune it would be $449 plus two other tunes.

MPT tunes get cheaper the more you buy, i suggest just giving them a call. Also, cool as the ghost cam is (had one myself) i suggest skipping it and saving the money.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
@Hawk

@Mud
Sorry MUD....

@Volt
$200 for a tuner

I assume you are getting the SCT 7015 X4, correct?

The SCT unit itself IS A TUNE. These "custom tunes" that everyone keeps talking about are tunes written by other people/companies that require a tuner unit such as the SCT as a go between to install the "custom tune" in your car.

Now, I have never had a "custom tune", so I can only go by the experience I got by using the SCT by itself. But I have a feeling that unless you have modded the hell out of your Mustang, a "custom tune" isn't going to give you much - if anything - that the SCT alone wont give you.

In addition, I have read posts by people with "custom tunes" that are having problems like extreme idle variations and when they remove the "custom tune" the problem goes away. I haven't had one issue with the SCT tune thus far and really love how it fixes the crappy Ford transmission factory tune.

Basically, not much to be confused about if you realize that the SCT is actually providing a "custom tune" since you input all your specs when you use it by itself.

Once you get the SCT just follow the instructions to the letter and you will see for yourself. If you feel the performance gains aren't extreme enough then I would go to MPT or AM or Steeda and order some "custom tunes".
Old 10-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

@Hawk

See that is exactly how I understand it man! SO what I really need to look for is a tuner that a fellow 3.7 owner had and just use the preloaded tunes by SCT, MPT, Bama, Lund, etc...

Now if the tuner has "Custom" tunes that the previous owner had got from an email or a dyno tune then that is what everyone else is saying that it wont work with my car and potentially mess it up ecu wise.

My car is bone stock, performance wise. So plain jane 2.73's and Ford v6 base tune. Only thing I have coming in the mail, not really a performance item, is a aFe Dry Drop-In Filter. Which I guess could be tuned to further enhance the filter but I don't expect it to be a variable for the tuning companies.

@Volt
Why would you say that? I will be going cat-less H-Pipe as soon as I am able to get a tuner in my hands. So I don't have to worry about my cats getting all gunked up. I will NOT use the Ghost Cam tune until I get rid of the cats. I know some people have had ran the ghost came tune for months with stock cats and had no issue but I don't want to take the chances on that cause my luck is different than other people.

@Mud
Thanks for closing my Wanted Thread. "done."

Old 10-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
@Hawk

1. See that is exactly how I understand it man! SO what I really need to look for is a tuner that a fellow 3.7 owner had and just use the preloaded tunes by SCT, MPT, Bama, Lund, etc...

2. Now if the tuner has "Custom" tunes that the previous owner had got from an email or a dyno tune then that is what everyone else is saying that it wont work with my car and potentially mess it up ecu wise.

3. @Volt
Why would you say that? I will be going cat-less H-Pipe as soon as I am able to get a tuner in my hands. So I don't have to worry about my cats getting all gunked up. I will NOT use the Ghost Cam tune until I get rid of the cats. I know some people have had ran the ghost came tune for months with stock cats and had no issue but I don't want to take the chances on that cause my luck is different than other people.

@Mud
Thanks for closing my Wanted Thread. "done."
1. Nope lol, wrong again. SCT is a company that makes tuning devices, but they also make generic maps for certain vehicles. You have the option of using the tunes that SCT has written on the device. Just those generic "off the shelf" tunes. Nothing else if you only purchase the SCT, you cannot use someone else's tune from Bama, MPT, etc. The reason i use words like "generic" and "off the shelf" is because you do not do any datalogging with SCT, you just run what is on the device.

2. I think you confused yourself with what hawk was saying. There are only 2 options here, the off the shelf SCT tunes, OR a custom tune via email or dyno with datalogging. There is no in between. You can run the basic SCT tunes on whatever car, you cannot run any other tune unless it was written specifically for your car.

3. It was nice, just ended up being a waste of money since i never actually ended up using it.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

So is there anything wrong with using the "Generic, Off the Shelf" Tunes with my cars current setup? I don't make a lot of money so my plans for my car will probably take a few years to accomplish so getting the custom tunes for those things I can get with MPT for an example?

The "Generic" tunes you speak of are what the 1-2-3 steps that all the tuners come with right? Example. Option One select Octane, Option Two select Performance or Economy, etc...

Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Volt is spot on. What I am saying is try the SCT preloaded generic tune before you buy any custom written tunes. If your car is bone stock, SCT preloaded should make you happy.

I hooked mine up to look through the settings, you can and should choose the "restore to factory" settings BEFORE hooking up to your car. I would hook the SCT to a computer (for power) and reset it then download the updates via wifi. Then hook it up to your car.

I took some pics that I will upload if my daughter ever gets off the laptop. Lol
Old 10-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Hawk I really appreciate it. Sorry to hijack this thread!

Old 10-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks Hawk I really appreciate it. Sorry to hijack this thread!
No problem. I was in your boat about a month ago. Just gotta be careful when it comes to messing with your ecu.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #35
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
@Hawk

See that is exactly how I understand it man! SO what I really need to look for is a tuner that a fellow 3.7 owner had and just use the preloaded tunes by SCT, MPT, Bama, Lund, etc...
I think that is only doable if your strategy? code mathches. I believe there is a 4 digit code that has to match yours to make it work...

key word "think"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang