LED bulb swap for lower fog lights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
LED bulb swap for lower fog lights

So I bought LED replacement bulbs for my lower fog lights because I didn't like the yellow light from the OEM bulbs. Thinking this would be an EASY swap, I had no clue what I was about to get into.

I got the bulbs swapped in relatively good time, about 25 mins. But when I went to see the difference, this is what I got...

Yes, those are the NEW LED bulbs and the are ON. Nothing but a thin rectangular bar of light peaking through.

I was pretty pissed and at first I assumed the LEDs sucked, but I took the bulbs out and turned on the lights with them just on the harness and they were bright as hell.

So I took the fog light housing out so I could inspect the inside and low and behold there were two metal plates in between the bulb and the lens cover, blocking most of the light. I still have no idea how it didn't block the OEM bulb light but at this point I didn't care and was determined to make my new bulbs shine BRIGHT (I'm one stubborn gringo).

So I proceeded to take apart the fog light casing and the fun began. First, praise to the 2014 Stang for it didn't go cheap on the fog lights... now plastic here, all old school THICK metal. Of course the lights are made in China and they used two TINY torx screws on each casing to hold them together. On each casing one of the screws stripped and I had to use a jigsaw to cut the damn screw. Then after that treat I discovered the screws were not needed at all since these SOBs were glued shut so tight it took 30 mins of oven baking at 300 degrees and another 30 mins of prying, chiseling and cursing to finally crack the shell. This was by far the worst part of the project.

Once I got them open I had to use a carbon grinding drill bit to cut out the useless pieces of metal that were blocking my full LED love fest (see below). Once I got that done I had to put them back together and I used silicone to reseal them nice and water-proof tight. Then I got the housing put back together and FINALLY got to see the effect that SHOULD HAVE BEEN a 25 min job... as opposed to the 2 days I spent carving up and burning my hands. lol

And here is the much more impressive end result...

So, if you have a 2014 Mustang with the lower fog lights and want to swap to LED lights, you better have a full day set aside if you want more than just a tiny strip of light coming through!
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
That's crazy! Do you have a pic of the LED bulbs you used?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 10-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Wow what a HEADACHE! But the end results are very much worth the work you put in man! They look amazing on your stang, Good job!

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If the top shield was cut out and the bottom one was left in, would there be a "cutoff" like the HIDs have? How is the light pattern with both cut out? Does it scatter the light?
Thanks, David
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Looks Great
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
That's crazy! Do you have a pic of the LED bulbs you used?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Here is a pic of the LED bulb (I'm NOT taking it out of the car again lol) and of the OEM bulb. The weird part is the LED lights up on the end AND around the sides, yet it looks like the OEM only lit up around the sides. BUT the OEM managed to light up the entire lens. Weird huh? Maybe the LED doesn't light up on the sides far enough out of the hole to bounce light off the mirror inside?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2014 View Post
If the top shield was cut out and the bottom one was left in, would there be a "cutoff" like the HIDs have? How is the light pattern with both cut out? Does it scatter the light?
Thanks, David
Now that you mention it, I could have (and prob should have) stopped at just cutting out one side and tested it... could have been a *****in effect. But she's all done now and I am definitely not going back in there unless I have too.

The light pattern seems full with no pattern. I will test it tonight to see what it looks like without the headlights on and take a pic.

Thanks for the compliments from the other posters, my cut up and blistered hands appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Now that you mention it, I could have (and prob should have) stopped at just cutting out one side and tested it... could have been a *****in effect. But she's all done now and I am definitely not going back in there unless I have too.

The light pattern seems full with no pattern. I will test it tonight to see what it looks like without the headlights on and take a pic.

Thanks for the compliments from the other posters, my cut up and blistered hands appreciate it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like at night. By the way, great job and write up. Looks better than OEM.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like at night. By the way, great job and write up. Looks better than OEM.
Thanks. It's a pain in the butt but didn't cost much so I'm pretty happy.

Looking at the LED bulb, I wonder what would have happened if I put reflective tape around the black platic tip... Might have to try that.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Were you able to get any pics tonight without the headlights on?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yup. I think they make a nice "spot light" effect on the ground in front of the car. It's not a huge impact, but way better than the worthless light effect of the OEM fogs.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the pics! Yes, anything is better than the output of the OEM bulbs. I might give this a try later on.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the pics! Yes, anything is better than the output of the OEM bulbs. I might give this a try later on.
No prob. If you decide to, hit me up if you run into any kinks. It's a serious pain in the butt. Lol
Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I may try to find a pair out of a wrecked Mustang at a junkyard and perform "surgery" on them instead of the original ones that came with my car. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Looks like a fun project..
Lights looks good...

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Looks like a fun project..
Lights looks good...!!
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang