Rear Axle!! Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Rear Axle!! Help

So I've run into problem after problem with my rear end.

Whine/noise when accel/decel.
Bad carrier bearing is what I originally thought.
But after replacing all the bearings and even a new set of gears, it still whines like a b****. Even tried a different brand of gears after the 2nd set of ford racing weren't right and made a clicking noise.
At this point i'm pretty sure its something to do with the housing.

The first time he did the gear change, I didnt have any whine for the first couple months. Then just one carrier bearing went bad on the drivers side, which I believe is where the noise started.
I drove on the bad bearing for quite some time, Could this have damaged my housing or anything else in the rear end?

Before I go ahead and buy a used axel to replace the old one, any thoughtss??
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Sorry man, how bad was the whine? It happened to me too they have to replaced the pinion seal twice and bearings. It's all fixed now but now I have a slight noise in the rear but not too bad. I hope it stays that way.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It's pretty bad.. I hate to say.

Im just sick of dumping money into it, I already could have bought this 40k 3.31 rear end (axel/everything) for what i've spent on parts and labor so far

There is also a vibration you can feel when you decelerate from 70-65mph. Like you can hear the gears grinding or hitting something.

And i'm sure its the rear end, not transmission or driveshaft.
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had the same wine but no vibration. I will say though that for what it is worth I was told that the aluminum driveshaft transmits more noise so how long have you had the shaft comparatively.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you rode in the car, I don't think you would say that the noise is coming from the driveshaft, I could be wrong but...

I've had the driveshaft since like 40-45k and she's got 75k now.
Driveshaft was my second mod
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 10-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaRedSixxer View Post
It's pretty bad.. I hate to say.

Im just sick of dumping money into it, I already could have bought this 40k 3.31 rear end (axel/everything) for what i've spent on parts and labor so far

There is also a vibration you can feel when you decelerate from 70-65mph. Like you can hear the gears grinding or hitting something.

And i'm sure its the rear end, not transmission or driveshaft.
Ouchhhh... You can hear it grinding? That's no good, it might be the gears are gone now too. I think you had a bad install and the shop should stand behind there work, my shop fixed all my problem with NO additional cost even covered the parts that needs replacing. I would go back there and have them replaced it, or get a new set of gears from there pocket and have some shop install it a reputable one.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If the backlash is not set properly, it can cause serious whine

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
I had the same wine but no vibration. I will say though that for what it is worth I was told that the aluminum driveshaft transmits more noise so how long have you had the shaft comparatively.
Does it sound like a jet fighter but in a really faint sound, it sounds like an electric car when decelerating. Cos this is mine sounds like but it's very faint... Plus I have the aluminum ds.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
I would go back there and have them replaced it, or get a new set of gears from there pocket and have some shop install it a reputable one.
That's exactly what he already did. Swapped from Ford racing to a new set of Ford Racing(that made a clicking noise on decel), then put a set of richmonds in it and its still makes noise.

The first time he installed I had no problems. Didn't whine until like 6 months later

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Does it sound like a jet fighter but in a really faint sound, it sounds like an electric car when decelerating. Cos this is mine sounds like but it's very faint... Plus I have the aluminum ds.

Nahh like full blown jet fighter. p51 status lol
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 10-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's exactly what he already did. Swapped from Ford racing to a new set of Ford Racing(that made a clicking noise on decel), then put a set of richmonds in it and its still makes noise.

The first time he installed I had no problems. Didn't whine until like 6 months later

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Nahh like full blown jet fighter. p51 status lol
That's not good, I feel your pain but I thought mine is bad.. Do you have the leak when it happened? Specially where the vent plug is?

Old 10-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's not good, I feel your pain but I thought mine is bad.. Do you have the leak when it happened? Specially where the vent plug is?

It leaks as we speak. from the pinion seal. I have a catch can for the vent plug, so its not that.

I've just run into problem after problem, and at this point feel like buying a used rear axle with factory 3.31 is the way to go. AND NOT CHANGE IT. lol

I've got a small fund that i've saved for emergencies like this.
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 10-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It leaks as we speak. from the pinion seal. I have a catch can for the vent plug, so its not that.

I've just run into problem after problem, and at this point feel like buying a used rear axle with factory 3.31 is the way to go. AND NOT CHANGE IT. lol

I've got a small fund that i've saved for emergencies like this.

This is crazy, can you look for another shop and ask for second opinion? Sometimes when this things happened I think it'd better off to leave it as it is and not mod it but wheres the thrill factor which we all look for. I wish you luck man hope you'll straightened it out. Speaking of the the catch can on the vent plug where did you get those?

Old 10-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Latemodelrestoration

I agree. modding is too fun, but at least the rear end I found has 3.31 and not 2.73 like I had from stock
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 10-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Latemodelrestoration

I agree. modding is too fun, but at least the rear end I found has 3.31 and not 2.73 like I had from stock
331 are fun to drive too, that's what I had before way better than 273... Thanks for the link I will try this out. Good luck keep us posted.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I will. On this same thread too.

Going monday to pay for part of the axle, and should have it by thursday.
Then Dropping the car off on Friday or the following monday.

Hopefully in a week I'll be posting pictures of her all spiffy clean, not threads on my rear end problems lol
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 10-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh I will. On this same thread too.

Going monday to pay for part of the axle, and should have it by thursday.
Then Dropping the car off on Friday or the following monday.

Hopefully in a week I'll be posting pictures of her all spiffy clean, not threads on my rear end problems lol
There's always a way man, but just cost some money.. Can you find a 8.8 rear-end with 373 gears on it already? That will be awesome..

Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

There is one on ebay I think, but idk what the heck shipping will cost me.

3.31 is alright I suppose.

Does anyone know if the 3.7 uses the same axle as the 5.0? They advertise the one's on ebay as 5.0 rear ends
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 10-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

It should work. the rear ends on the V6 and V8 are the same. This makes me seriously reconsider getting 3.73 gears now...I have 3.31 right now and want the extra OOOMPH from the 3.73s but not if these kinds of headaches keep happening. ShunC already had his stock DS break on him after the 3.73 install and you Lava are having noise and grinding issues. I hope you are able to get it all worked out.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
If you rode in the car, I don't think you would say that the noise is coming from the driveshaft, I could be wrong but...

I've had the driveshaft since like 40-45k and she's got 75k now.
Driveshaft was my second mod
You should sell that over priced noise enhancing pos ds, you would be mich better with the stock one like I have! Wanna trade 😁😁😁

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah if I could go back in time I would leave the gears alone haha. But the 2.73s are so lame. The 3.31 in the axle I'm buying should be good enough, not messing with this rear end at all.

I've still got my stock driveshaft too.

This has been a nightmare though, I you are right on money, leave the rear end alone
Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I must of lucked out with my gears. I have read some scary gear install stories in the last little while.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I had feeling that the sound that I am hearing in mine is not from the rear end but it might be from the 1 piece aluminum ds I have, cos I don't have the whine but it sounded like a hollow sound very faint, it seems like when the ds is turning kinda sound hollow, I don't know if I'm describing it right.. But do you guys think rotating it from a different hole would solve the problem? Because when I had my gears changed at first there was zero noise until they have to replace my pinion seal and bearings and now the noise is there..

Old 10-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

is the Alum DS hollow?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
is the Alum DS hollow?
I don't know man.. It sounds like it though.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

LOL if it is see if you can fill it with calking foam...that'll fix the hallowed out sound LOL
Of course it would throw the balance WAY off...
Old 10-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
LOL if it is see if you can fill it with calking foam...that'll fix the hallowed out sound LOL
Of course it would through the balance WAY off...
Lol... Dang right.. No Bueno for me lol..

I called axle exchange and they advise to put sound deadening In the housing where the driveshaft is.. They also said that it is normal to hear some noise from the driveshaft since it is aluminum and lightweight.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Are the rear axle's the same on the GT and V6?

Basically, does it matter if I buy a rear axle that came off of a 5.0?
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 10-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Are the rear axle's the same on the GT and V6?

Basically, does it matter if I buy a rear axle that came off of a 5.0?
Yes, they are the same.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks ^^^

If all goes to schedule, I'll have the rear end by Friday and in the shop that same day or Monday
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Goodluck man, hope everything will squared away.. How much was the rear end you found? If you dont mind me asking.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Like 800. eBay is like 600-700 plus God knows what for shipping.

I got a warranty on it too, for the axle and labor in case they have to install again if the one I buy is damaged
Old 10-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like 800. eBay is like 600-700 plus God knows what for shipping.

I got a warranty on it too, for the axle and labor in case they have to install again if the one I buy is damaged
Oh nice they supply there own parts, thats pretty good is that included with the install for 800?

Old 10-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

No I got it from a pullnsave or parts salvage. I have to pay for install too, dealership isnt cheap
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 10-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No I got it from a pullnsave or parts salvage. I have to pay for install too, dealership isnt cheap
Oh wowww.. Hopefully this will be the last at least it's not the transmission. How many miles on the rear end?

Old 10-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Haha yeah. My trans is good so far. This noise is forsure my rear end.

75k on my car and 28k on the rear end I'm getting Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bama 93 Performance Tune

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang