Call me cheap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Call me cheap

I have to say as mod friendly as our cars are, parts are at a premium in cost..

cai's $300 and up....really for a plastic tube and filter/ minimal.. hp gain
axle back $300 and up for muffler deletes or replacements /.. minimal hp gains
plastic replacement front grilles $300 and up...seriously its PLASTIC

Guess if all these parts were hand made maybe but we all know they are mass produced.

American greed at its finest imo..

Just venting...lol
Gammer2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
You have been reading my mind havent you?...or at least my threads.

Ive been saying the same thing. Once I really got to looking for parts and saw some of the gains or lack there of with most of the performance parts.

Its one of the reasons why i ended up going with an Ebay Special intake. I had an Airaid and had an Injen. Stock my car felt like junk...I just didnt like how either of them made my car feel, however this Ebay one I got has the same no tune required tube size, runs just the same as any of the other no tune required intakes, same great sound and it cost me $50 shipped with a brand new air filter...lol

Now how good it may be with any gains? who knows but it was a hell of a lot cheaper than those other "name brand" intakes.

Also everything else ive bought, i bought used for a much lower cost. For example: Magnaflow Street axel backs for $280, BBK Shortie headers $250 shipped, custom grill+emblem $35.

Honestly though its all on what you know and what you feel is worth the price in the end.

Some of the guys on here swear that the intakes and TBs get them more power. Others feel they are a waste of money, but if there is one bit of advice im sure 90% on here will agree with me on is: Gears and Tuner are going to be the best performance mods for your money.

That and its your car, do what makes you happy and as long as your happy with your car it's all that that matters and &^%# what anyone else says
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Supply and demand. They know people are crazy about there cars and will buy the simplest/cheapest parts for whatever price as long as that is the cheapest as can find. Unpainted louvers are like > $100 when it's literally just plastic. Most parts are similar.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 93 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
How did the cheaper intake work out for you? bout the same as the high dollar ones?
Gammer2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammer2015 View Post
How did the cheaper intake work out for you? bout the same as the high dollar ones?
Yup. Ive gone a little deeper too and had a 3 stage Datalog tune from BAMA ( I say 3 stage because I went through 3 different revisions before I found a feel in how my car drove I really liked) and it really does feel a lot better. With this revised race tune and the Stock air box and a K&N filter it feels a bit more laggy than when i have the intake installed and In case someone trys to chime in with "placebo" I'm 100% certain there is a significant difference in the way the car performs. Its a night and day difference.

Again the tuner really makes a difference in the feel and when you go through with a datalog you will be able to adjust the engine and transmission (auto only) for a much more excelrating ride
Old 10-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The performance parts are not the only thing that's way way way overpriced. You can start with cars in general are way overpriced. Then again, its supply and demand. The CAI companies charge 300 dollars because people are willing to pay that. Ford charges 50k plus for a 50th anniversary 5.0. Why, because people out there will pay for it. Ford charges 7,500 dollars more for a 5.0 over the 3.7. Because plenty of people are wiling to pay for it.

Baseball players get paid 10's of millions of dollars because fans are more than willing to spend high ticket prices and sports memorabilia to support the high salaries. The list goes on and on. Its all overpriced! If you think is way overpriced, do something about it. Don't pay the prices for items you think are insane.

My cable bill is insane and overpriced. My families cell phone bill is insane and overpriced. Football tickets are insane and overpriced. The list goes on.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I was haggling with a guy who was parting out miatas who had some stuff i wanted. He was a younger kid, and i told him what i wanted and how much i wanted to pay. He came back with "no way man, its worth way more than that." I told him stuff is only worth what people are willing to pay for it lol, and you haven't sold any of this stuff that's been listed for a long time, soooooo ... its worth what i say it is haha.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Most of the stuff I've bought has been used or from eBay lol if you look around you can get really good deals!

Ig: 3.7_THOR

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammer2015 View Post
I have to say as mod friendly as our cars are, parts are at a premium in cost..

cai's $300 and up....really for a plastic tube and filter/ minimal.. hp gain
axle back $300 and up for muffler deletes or replacements /.. minimal hp gains
plastic replacement front grilles $300 and up...seriously its PLASTIC

Guess if all these parts were hand made maybe but we all know they are mass produced.

American greed at its finest imo..

Just venting...lol
On side note, I agree that performance parts in general are insanely nuts.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
The performance parts are not the only thing that's way way way overpriced. You can start with cars in general are way overpriced. Then again, its supply and demand. The CAI companies charge 300 dollars because people are willing to pay that. Ford charges 50k plus for a 50th anniversary 5.0. Why, because people out there will pay for it. Ford charges 7,500 dollars more for a 5.0 over the 3.7. Because plenty of people are wiling to pay for it.

Baseball players get paid 10's of millions of dollars because fans are more than willing to spend high ticket prices and sports memorabilia to support the high salaries. The list goes on and on. Its all overpriced! If you think is way overpriced, do something about it. Don't pay the prices for items you think are insane.

My cable bill is insane and overpriced. My families cell phone bill is insane and overpriced. Football tickets are insane and overpriced. The list goes on.

The whole world is overpriced!
Dont get me started on the sports clowns out there...Im with Daniel Tosh on the matter...Let the athletes **** up their bodies and allow them to take steroids and other crap...id start watching more sports once these jokers start REALLY entertaining me...till then @#$% 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I was haggling with a guy who was parting out miatas who had some stuff i wanted. He was a younger kid, and i told him what i wanted and how much i wanted to pay. He came back with "no way man, its worth way more than that." I told him stuff is only worth what people are willing to pay for it lol, and you haven't sold any of this stuff that's been listed for a long time, soooooo ... its worth what i say it is haha.
LOL so very true, which i why i never ask anyone how much they want to sell their parts for or try to haggle. For me its not worth most of the asking prices. Even at $200 for a used Airaid i fell like I would be getting ripped off so i never did....again. Its the same on here too with some guys and their, " only 500 miles max on it!" Doesnt matter buddy. You bought the part off AM for $300. The moment it arrives at your door its now worth $250-$275 fairly, as soon as you open the box and install it its now $200 in my eyes... its worse than when you bought the car. Once you drive it off the lot it depreciates by quite a bit.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If stuff was cheap everyone would be moded to the max. That's what's good about it. It separates people and let's everyone do their own thing.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You gotta pay to play. If you want to mod, be prepaid to pay over inflated prices.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah, but 700+ for a set of Borla or Streets???
Guess it seperates the sanity from insanity......

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You gotta pay to play. If you want to mod, be prepaid to pay over inflated prices.

Yup my injectors in getting next are about $1,800 and the fuel system is a little over $1,700

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Yup my injectors in getting next are about $1,800 and the fuel system is a little over $1,700

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵💵

Old 10-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Sent from LG G3.
Borla is still in business so clearly there are tons of insane people. Lol

Old 10-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I love my Borlas. Didn't pay anywhere near that price. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Borla is still in business so clearly there are tons of insane people. Lol

+1, and I'm sure they have VERY wealthy owners!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Smile You Don't Have to Buy the Overpriced Mods....

Quote:

Sent from LG G3.

What are you going to spend your money on? Booze and Ho's? Then all you have left is your very "QUIET" stock car.

Buy the mods and drive your Mustang around the town. You might even run into a ugly women that has some premium liquor.

All of your problems solved!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

What are you going to spend your money on? Booze and Ho's? Then all you have left is your very "QUIET" stock car.

Buy the mods and drive your Mustang around the town. You might even run into a ugly women that has some premium liquor.

All of your problems solved!
Whats wrong with booze and Ho's? Lol

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Alcoholism and STD's.

2013 GT/CS
Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCopp View Post
Alcoholism and STD's.

That's why we have AA meetings and penicillin. Ha ha ha

Old 10-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

LOL
Old 10-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmao, good one Kona!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lmao, good one Kona!

Sent from LG G3.
Why thank you good sir. 😉

Old 10-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Another thing people don't consider is its not just the materials or direct labor to make the part. You have a lot of R&D associated which parts which is why I believe companies lower the cost on older model car parts once they recoup the development costs. You also have overhead to run the companies as a whole. If you have to call customer support they have to have money to pay those types of costs as well.

Not to say I think any of these companies are in the red. But it's not sell an intake for 300 and pocket 285 of it as pure profit.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Another thing people don't consider is its not just the materials or direct labor to make the part. You have a lot of R&D associated which parts which is why I believe companies lower the cost on older model car parts once they recoup the development costs. You also have overhead to run the companies as a whole. If you have to call customer support they have to have money to pay those types of costs as well.

Not to say I think any of these companies are in the red. But it's not sell an intake for 300 and pocket 285 of it as pure profit.

I can see what youre saying here but i still think its not as expensive as youre stating it.

I've mentioned this before on other threads, but i had a buddy back in So. Cal who worked for Fujita as thier "R&D depot". He was one guy in a rented out wherehouse storage space with a dyno installed and a bunch of boxes with pre-made alum tubes of various shapes and sizes.

He would get in touch with someone that had a new model vehicle and offer to make them a custom intake for their car (no payment) if he could borrow it for an afternoon. He would then custom weld the tubes to get a decent fit inside the engine bay and adjust them here and there after doing a few pulls until he reached a "PEAK" power number. He used the exact same cone filter for every car that went through the process and then once he got it fitted and working right he would stick it in a box and send it to the factory where they would mass produce them based on his design.

He got paid about $40k a year to do this and he did it for the entire company (at least thats what he told me and I never heard different), but i got to see him design the CAi for the new 2009 350Z, thinking about it honestly i dont remember the year but it was the first year they used twin TBs on it.

Took him about 2 hrs to do and after he printed the highest Dyno number along with the design he made to get that hp number and stuck it in a box to be sent back. Done...

Now he did have knowledge about tuning and such but what he actually did wasnt the kind of R&D you would expect with sensors and flow charts and basically everything that Volt talks about doing. its pennies on the dollar having some guy weld tubes together and see how much power he can make.

Its the kind of money you would spend buying burger ingredients at Costco and turn around and sell for $10 a hamburger.

If they really wanted to make a TRUE CAI for our car they would have found a way to route the intake through the snorkel so the filter sits right behind the grill just in front of the radiator

I think i may want to play around with this...see if there is a way to do that and if it will work...ugh i need a damn comp so i can datalog again...
Old 10-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

That hurt my head.

2013 GT/CS
Old 10-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
R&D is just one aspect. How about support, sales, rent or mortgage on property for manufacturing, storage, and office space. For a company the size of borla, airaid, k&n or magma flow are significant costs that are necessary in order to produce and deliver a product.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCopp View Post
That hurt my head.

Sorry TCopp...should have spaced it out a bit more or just used less words :-/

Quote:
R&D is just one aspect. How about support, sales, rent or mortgage on property for manufacturing, storage, and office space. For a company the size of borla, airaid, k&n or magma flow are significant costs that are necessary in order to produce and deliver a product.

See your talking about big names. For the amount of product they sell and the many different vehicles they have products for they are able to cover their overhead just fine without having a $600 Catback system, which on our cars is just 2 over axel pipes and 2 mufflers...there's no justification for the cost.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sorry, companies like Borla are making boat loads of money by charging 700$ + for a set of ABS that has maybe 75$ of material and labour involved.....

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Sorry TCopp...should have spaced it out a bit more or just used less words :-/

See your talking about big names. For the amount of product they sell and the many different vehicles they have products for they are able to cover their overhead just fine without having a $600 Catback system, which on our cars is just 2 over axel pipes and 2 mufflers...there's no justification for the cost.
You are correct. I bet if sales of Borla products dropped like a ton of bricks their prices would come down to a more realistic amount and they would still make a ton of money! The problem is that as long as you have people paying this ridiculous amount for their products they will continue to charge ridiculous amounts to the customer.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I guess if you don't like the price you can be stock life or make your own. just saying
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

There are many exhaust choices that are more of a realistic price just saying.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
So you think Mustang mods cost a lot- DUH!

Have you been to the Grocery Store lately???????????
Chicken used to be affordable,Not anymore.
Pork used to be affordable, Not anymore.
Take a walk down the can good isle "HOLY CRAP".
Steak or any meat -Just Shoot Me.

Parts for your Mustang are things you "WANT" and "NOT" things you really "NEED" so just stop complaining and buy what you enjoy.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang