3.7 or the Eco 4? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Of course I have no idea what gears the V6 had but if it had the standard 2:73 gears, that's off the line issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 4 banger come standard with 3:31 gears?

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
Ya the race didn't go into specifics on what the s197 car had. Stock EB I think comes with 3.15 gears and the pp EB will get you 3.55.
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
What I meant was just gentle, around town driving with moderate throttle inputs.....no turbo lag for the V6, and I really don't think the 5 HP more is going to make that much difference when you are struck in traffic enjoying the smoother V6 idle.
Our v6 is nice with a 3.55 gear, but you can just tap the throttle in a turbo 4 and you're flying. No stock turbo has any appreciable "lag," in daily driving, which is called transient response. The thing to understand about turbo motors is how they build torque.
For example, on my mild pump gas tune, my mazdaspeed3 makes 280 whp, and my fiance's V6 also makes 280 whp. I walk the crap out of her though lol, because i make 280 whp from 4500 rpms to 6000 rpms, she makes it all the way up at 6500 rpms. That's where i was coming from, you cant just compare peak numbers, you have to take area under the curve, that's why i mentioned looking at the dyno to see what the down low of a turbo 4 looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Of course I have no idea what gears the V6 had but if it had the standard 2:73 gears, that's off the line issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 4 banger come standard with 3:31 gears?

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
Correct, stock EB gear is a 3.31. PP is 3.55
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My wife's 1.5 Eco fusion pulls very nicely for what it is.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #39
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
interesting ? and MY answer is it would be price dependent. I prefer the simplicity of a V6 over a turbo 4. At the same price point I would have to be impressed with the turbo to want to give up reliability. It is also a good idea to think of the long term prospects (sales/support) of the 3.7 I believe this is the only vehicle Ford uses it in, thee 3.5 is becoming their corporate engine.

I have read the new Camaro will have the I4 priced less than the V6...idk if true but when you think of EPA #'s it may be.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #40
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
My wife's 1.5 Eco fusion pulls very nicely for what it is.
Hey Fast - Without a doubt I would shoot for the EcoBoost here. I know how you mean on the Fusion (There's one in my extended family) and I was pleasantly surprised with how well it moved for such a small motor. I just recently picked up a '14 EB F150 as well and while it's apples to oranges it's a dream.

On the Mustang side of things there's a slew of potential locked up in the EB Mustang which can be seen dam near everywhere right now. I'm really, really excited to see what's going to come out of SEMA in a couple weeks for the EB Platform. For example of what it's capable of take a look at the new Focus RS, Built Focus ST's, or dare I say MazdaSpeed 3's/6's (Do your homework before you come after me!)

There's gobs of power locked up in this car and if it's driven maturely you're going to see great fuel consumption too.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Do not buy a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder mustang unless you are a rental company. Ford needs to know that the American performance community will not accept anything less than a V8 in our muscle cars. If I wanted a V6, I would be in a 370z or some other toy car. The only reason to buy these cars over any other one is for the V8 engine and manual transmission.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Do not buy a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder mustang unless you are a rental company. Ford needs to know that the American performance community will not accept anything less than a V8 in our muscle cars. If I wanted a V6, I would be in a 370z or some other toy car. The only reason to buy these cars over any other one is for the V8 engine and manual transmission.
My comment to this has been the same time and time again. Is it that you want a V8 or that you want horsepower? The V6 and EB both make more horsepower than any V8 prior to the 5.0 ... I had a 5.0 and i loved it, but we also have a 3.7 and its not a slouch. I'll take horsepower any way i can afford it.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Lol
These are the kind of people I loved to disappoint back when my car was actually fast..

Good thing I'm getting back to that level

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow this is dumb....
I hope your kidding!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
My comment to this has been the same time and time again. Is it that you want a V8 or that you want horsepower? The V6 and EB both make more horsepower than any V8 prior to the 5.0 ... I had a 5.0 and i loved it, but we also have a 3.7 and its not a slouch. I'll take horsepower any way i can afford it.
False. I think what you meant to say was "it has more horsepower (not torque) than a stock 2 valve that was designed 16 years prior".

My car (which was on the road in 1998) is bone stock and has more torque, more horsepower, less complexity, better sound, and better power deliver than both of those cars you listed.

you'll take your power any way you can afford it? Tell me where you picked up a good 3.7L mustang for under $10,500 lol
Old 10-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry bud, my 3.7 will destroy your 2 valve. ...
And yes my 3.7 has more stock hp then your 16 year old 2 valve!
But don't just take my word, check out YouTube.
You do have sound though I'll give you that.
Welcome to technology!
Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Lol
These are the kind of people I loved to disappoint back when my car was actually fast..

Good thing I'm getting back to that level

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yeah who knows. Maybe if you roid up your baby motor it will be able to hang with a bone stock 16 year old V8
Old 10-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sent from LG G3.
I would love to test that theory, but I just sold my 2 valve to a guy who was upgrading from some V6 car he had.

Do you want to come race my cobra for pinks? I'm going to need a good shell for an LS sometime this year.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would love to test that theory, but I just sold my 2 valve to a guy who was upgrading from some V6 car he had.

Do you want to come race my cobra for pinks? I'm going to need a good shell for an LS sometime this year.
YouTube has already proven that theory, you do know what that is right? Lol
You are a piece of work lmao!
No disrespect to the older 4.6s but you come on a 3.7 shooting your yap off expect to get schooled!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
False. I think what you meant to say was "it has more horsepower (not torque) than a stock 2 valve that was designed 16 years prior".

My car (which was on the road in 1998) is bone stock and has more torque, more horsepower, less complexity, better sound, and better power deliver than both of those cars you listed.

you'll take your power any way you can afford it? Tell me where you picked up a good 3.7L mustang for under $10,500 lol

Welp, Lets see here:

Edmunds has the 2004 2v GT listed at 260 hp and 302 ft/lbs of torque:
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/...eatures-specs/

The 2009 3v GT is listed at 300 hp and 320 ft/lbs of torque
Used 2009 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Features & Specs | Edmunds

I'm also assuming you have a 1998 cobra looking at your avatar. I'm sure i dont have to tell you what your car makes, but i'll tell everyone else, Its 305 hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque.
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang-...eatures-specs/

How good is your quick math? The ecoboost makes 310 hp and 320 tq stock.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But don't just take my word, check out YouTube.
You do have sound though I'll give you that.
Welcome to technology!
Sent from LG G3.
Ha Ha you think I am behind technology?

I have to get back to work. Programming a microcontroller to run as an oscilloscope detecting engine knock and cylinder pressure.

"welcome to technology" roflmao
Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have to get back to work. Programming a microcontroller to run as an oscilloscope detecting engine knock and cylinder pressure.

You're arguing that a 2v is a superior motor lol ... yes, yes i do.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Welp, Lets see here:

Edmunds has the 2004 2v GT listed at 260 hp and 302 ft/lbs of torque:
Used 2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium Features & Specs | Edmunds

The 2009 3v GT is listed at 300 hp and 320 ft/lbs of torque
Used 2009 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Features & Specs | Edmunds

I'm also assuming you have a 1998 cobra looking at your avatar. I'm sure i dont have to tell you what your car makes, but i'll tell everyone else, Its 305 hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque.
Used 1998 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Features & Specs | Edmunds

How good is your quick math? The ecoboost makes 310 hp and 320 tq stock.

That's very good data you got on those other cars. You should note that I do not have a 1998 cobra, though. And even if I did, you were comparing a turbocharged engine of current production to an engine that was on the road 19 years ago. Yup, pretty amazing technology! Till it breaks and breaks again
Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's very good data you got on those other cars. You should note that I do not have a 1998 cobra, though. And even if I did, you were comparing a turbocharged engine of current production to an engine that was on the road 19 years ago. Yup, pretty amazing technology! Till it breaks and breaks again
I've made more horsepower on stock block turbo 4 cars that i have personally tuned than 2v and 3v GTs can handle, but please, keep telling me how much you know about things . Oh and, that was years ago by the way, and they're all still running and racing regularly.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah get to fixing your lawnmower engines, you've made yourself look pretty silly!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not once did I say that. My 99 cobra is 17 years old. All of this "technology" over 17 years and you're still not beating me (bone stock) without a V8. Not even in the freaking turns!!

Like I said. The point of Muscle cars is to have a V8. If not interested in a V8, why not get a Nissan?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #57
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

Just ignore him. He's an LS nut swinger disguised in a Mustang forum. Also thinks the Ti-VCT is garbage and prefers carbed engines. I would say he is more old school than with new tech.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not once did I say that. My 99 cobra is 17 years old. All of this "technology" over 17 years and you're still not beating me (bone stock) without a V8. Not even in the freaking turns!!

Like I said. The point of Muscle cars is to have a V8. If not interested in a V8, why not get a Nissan?
Yes get to work already before Sears fires you!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh, jesus, and now you're trying to tell me the SN-95 is a good road course chassis lol (btw, i track 2 S-197 cars). I am beyond done talking to you.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah get to fixing your lawnmower engines, you've made yourself look pretty silly!

Sent from LG G3.
Lol I wish your car was as fast as your mouth. I might respect you more when you're talking about them.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
I find these comments amusing. People seem to forget, the original 64 mustang had a 6 cylinder as standard equipment. While I prefer V8s in a performance car, which I don't consider my 3.7 mustang, even the corvette started with a 6 cylinder, V8 wasn't even an option until, I believe, 1955. I drive a V6 mustang with a 6 spd so I can enjoy my daily driver while still being efficient. If I wanted a hotrod I'd be in a V8 due to personal preference, not because it's the only option.

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
95Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #62
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

I'd like to hear the experience you have in "the freaking turns". Not a poking statement, I really am interested.

HID end all thread
Old 10-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, jesus, and now you're trying to tell me the SN-95 is a good road course chassis lol (btw, i track 2 S-197 cars). I am beyond done talking to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I'd like to hear the experience you have in "the freaking turns". Not a poking statement, I really am interested.

... nothing personal lol you do have a nice ride.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1, but its been a blast!!!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #65
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:

False. I'd love to have my Buick Grand National back.

If you're going to beat your chest about a V8 being the only muscle car, it would be best to simply move on. Here, we respect the 4's and 6's in the Mustang, and as a muscle car. These new 4's and 6's are proving their worth against the older V8 "muscle cars"s of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol you "track" a car with SRA, but my Cobra isn't a track car because it has a SN-95 platform.

Beyond done talking to me.. because I don't go with you bull****t
Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Z28 View Post
I find these comments amusing. People seem to forget, the original 64 mustang had a 6 cylinder as standard equipment. While I prefer V8s in a performance car, which I don't consider my 3.7 mustang, even the corvette started with a 6 cylinder, V8 wasn't even an option until, I believe, 1955. I drive a V6 mustang with a 6 spd so I can enjoy my daily driver while still being efficient. If I wanted a hotrod I'd be in a V8 due to personal preference, not because it's the only option.

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
yaeh and they had Shelby make them fast so they didn't become a secretary's car.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol you "track" a car with SRA, but my Cobra isn't a track car because it has a SN-95 platform.

i have proven everything i have said, and you have been proven wrong on everything you have said. I fail to see where i am full of BS and you are not.

Also, a S-197, full weight, mild bolt on 5. holds damn near every single TT3 record in Texas, and the S-197 has no shortage of national championship wins. Now, i've backed up everything i have said, i'll even pull those TT3 links if you want. I've yet to see you back anything up though. If you prove me wrong i will happily admit it. I'll be waiting.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #69
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Good conversation going on here, and lots of "competitive" offers.

Lets be sure though this does not get to any name calling or slander. I'd like to see this thread continue with good "healthy" opinions.

Let the chest beating continue!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #70
ME Bloodhound
Staff

3.7 or the Eco 4?

Quote:

If you are only looking at the rear end as the deciding factor, that shows us that you really don't have a clue about tracking a car around a course. Much much much more to it than what rear end the car has. The IRS in your Cobra is actually more garbage than the S197 solid axle.

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang