3.7 or the Eco 4? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
3.7 or the Eco 4?

Just what the title says, if you had to do it again would it be the new Eco 4 or the 3.7?

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Eco 4.,,
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Not a big fan of the 15s. But the 3.7 no longer gets any love. The eco already has turbo kits available from VMP. The 15 3.7 is now an official rental car.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTech View Post
Not a big fan of the 15s. But the 3.7 no longer gets any love. The eco already has turbo kits available from VMP. The 15 3.7 is now an official rental car.
Well I would imagine it would be easier to make a turbo kit for it since the piping is already routed and set up.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Yea plus the 15' 3.7 doesnt come premium, has no performance package, etc. like yea you can get the 3.55s or w/e by themself. But some of us like the 19s and such.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I wouldn't buy either if I was buying a new car again. Love my current 3.7 but next car is going to be a mustang gt or maybe I'll get a ss camaro.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Neither one. Coyote, while they're still making V8s.
And not a 2015+ until they stop the frond end Fusion thing Ford has done to ALL their current cars. It's sad the only NON corporate front end designs are now the Flex and de-nutted Expedition.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The Eco 4 with a performance pack, how much would just tuner soup things up? I've been recently eyeing a gt with the track package, since I now have access to the A plan pricing. Anyone know if a 17 inch winter wheel set up would fit a gt with track pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Neither one. Coyote, while they're still making V8s.
And not a 2015+ until they stop the frond end Fusion thing Ford has done to ALL their current cars. It's sad the only NON corporate front end designs are now the Flex and de-nutted Expedition.
This /\
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomcgui View Post
The Eco 4 with a performance pack, how much would just tuner soup things up? I've been recently eyeing a gt with the track package, since I now have access to the A plan pricing. Anyone know if a 17 inch winter wheel set up would fit a gt with track pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Highly doubt it. They now have 6 piston front brembos.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
To answer the actual question and not say "coyote"

I'd go with the 3.7 because it has as much or more potential as the Eco, and it doesn't sound like a 4banger. It also doesn't look like you could take a nap in the engine bay like the Eco and probably the most important fact is that the word "Eco" is not associated with it. If I wanted economy I'd buy a Camry
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If the only difference was the engine I would go 3.7 again for sound, power potential, and lower cost. MPG is better in the EB and as long as you don't touch the exahust it sounds fine IMO. If you want a premium then Ford don't give you a choice.

...and then those who do go eco change their usernames to "boosted stang" etc.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I wouldn't buy a 15-16 anything Mustang. Not until Ford changes that hideous rear end. Once they do that, the 3.7 will be gone and only left with the 5.0 and Ecoboost. Heck no to the ecoboost. The exhaust sound kills the deal for me. Horrible sounding angry bees.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
To answer the actual question and not say "coyote"

I'd go with the 3.7 because it has as much or more potential as the Eco, and it doesn't sound like a 4banger. It also doesn't look like you could take a nap in the engine bay like the Eco and probably the most important fact is that the word "Eco" is not associated with it. If I wanted economy I'd buy a Camry
I would agree however the power potential in the Eco is much better. For one you dont have to set it up for the boost as it already is preped by Ford from the factory. Its just a matter of installing a larger turbo kit and tuning (although these step are never as easy as it sounds) Its always easier when it comes factory with boost than it is to turn a N/A engine into one to handle boost.

Just ignore what im saying here and read what Voltwings just posted in #15, he said it much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I wouldn't buy a 15-16 anything Mustang. Not until Ford changes that hideous rear end. Once they do that, the 3.7 will be gone and only left with the 5.0 and Ecoboost. Heck no to the ecoboost. The exhaust sound kills the deal for me. Horrible sounding angry bees.

Non and non fed. I $uck!
The can of bees is due to the ignorant driver who installed a crappy straight through muffler or decided a straight pipe was "cool". My Boosted 4banger Hyundai had 0 can of bees sound. Sounded more like a low end BMW but i installed an 18" resonator and used a chambered Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (its what was stamped onto the muffler). Sounded no worse than a V6 with x pipe and GT500 mufflers, just wasnt as "beefy" or angry sounding. (not saying that that sounds bad just not my cup of tea)

Whats hard for me is I know the potential these little 1/2 L engines can make and there are ways to make them sound decent, yet to have one in a car badge Mustang makes me cringe. I grew up with the small block 302s and 351s as well as the massive Cobra jet 427 and thats how they came...its how they still should come, but not everyone wants the big V8 and just want to have the look so they started dropping the V6 into it for better mpg and a cheaper alternative. I just feel that if you have a Mustang it should be what everyone outside who knows nothing about cars have made the Mustang out to be like: great looking, quick and has a burly tone to the exhaust.

this is all just my thought and opinion and i dont mean to insult or trash talk anyone's preference I just dont think a "Euro" sounding exhaust belongs on a Mustang regardless of how many cyl it has. Its a bloody muscle car, it should sound like a muscle car (dont confuse this with me saying it should sound like a V8) it should have that deep lion roar as best it can.
Now a 370Z or Genesis Coupe...sure...give it that Euro exhaust sound...it works with those cars for what they are and how they look.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The real nice thing about a turbo 4 that most people dont seem to realize, is that you can place the power however you want. An N/a motor just is what it is, its power band will always look exactly how it is.

A turbo 4 on the other hand, you can put the power damn near anywhere you want. You want big torque down low for a drag race tune? You got it. You want low, flat torque for a road course tune to make coming out corners cleaner? You got it. You want torque to peak way late in the mid range for a roll race tune? You got it.

A lot of what people are calling "potential" i believe is just outright power making ability. Now, i want to be perfectly clear when i say this, i like the 3.7, i very much enjoy driving ours, but the eco has FAR more potential. It can do everything i just mentioned above ^, bolt on for bolt on it will walk the crap out of a 3.7, and when its turned up, i would not be surprised to see the 2.3L hold over 500 whp on the stock motor. Its been done plenty times before in stock block turbo 4s. People may say that the 3.7 will hold more power than 500 whp easily. Sure, it very well may, but its going to cost the 2.3L less to get there, and if really the only thing that separates the two motors is 100-200 whp before they explode ... you're really splitting hairs at that point.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm really sorry if this is going to sound like a "HATE" post, but; I believe that Ford really screwed up this next generation of Mustangs. You might as well go buy a Fusion. They strayed away from what a Mustang really was and to me what it always should be... a muscle car!! People now want to call it a sports car? The history behind it, the nostalgia, with this new generation to me is gone. That's the main reason I purchased my 2014 GT, to get one before the 2015's came out. I think if they wanted to come out with a sports car, they should have just built one and called it something else. Come on... a Mustang with a 4 cyl. Omg!!! I don't care if it's turbo charged, it's still a 4 banger! A Mustang is suppose to "RUMBLE" not "squeak"!!!! Maybe I'm just to old school, but these kids with their Ricers, and "muscle" cars with 4 doors... drive me nuts!!! And a truck is just a truck, no matter what u bolt on it! Guess I'm just an old guy, sticking to his old ways! Lol. Now I guess everyone can rag on me now!
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB View Post
I'm really sorry if this is going to sound like a "HATE" post, but; I believe that Ford really screwed up this next generation of Mustangs. You might as well go buy a Fusion. They strayed away from what a Mustang really was and to me what it always should be... a muscle car!! People now want to call it a sports car? The history behind it, the nostalgia, with this new generation to me is gone. That's the main reason I purchased my 2014 GT, to get one before the 2015's came out. I think if they wanted to come out with a sports car, they should have just built one and called it something else. Come on... a Mustang with a 4 cyl. Omg!!! I don't care if it's turbo charged, it's still a 4 banger! A Mustang is suppose to "RUMBLE" not "squeak"!!!! Maybe I'm just to old school, but these kids with their Ricers, and "muscle" cars with 4 doors... drive me nuts!!! And a truck is just a truck, no matter what u bolt on it! Guess I'm just an old guy, sticking to his old ways! Lol. Now I guess beveryone can rag on me now!
I'm old school too. Muscle cars should rumble. But with today's technology the GT can go straight AND turn. I love the mountain roads with my 2015. I think the V8 days are numbered so like it or not some type of forced air induction is the future.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I'm really sorry if this is going to sound like a "HATE" post, but; I believe that Ford really screwed up this next generation of Mustangs. You might as well go buy a Fusion. They strayed away from what a Mustang really was and to me what it always should be... a muscle car!! People now want to call it a sports car? The history behind it, the nostalgia, with this new generation to me is gone. That's the main reason I purchased my 2014 GT, to get one before the 2015's came out. I think if they wanted to come out with a sports car, they should have just built one and called it something else. Come on... a Mustang with a 4 cyl. Omg!!! I don't care if it's turbo charged, it's still a 4 banger! A Mustang is suppose to "RUMBLE" not "squeak"!!!! Maybe I'm just to old school, but these kids with their Ricers, and "muscle" cars with 4 doors... drive me nuts!!! And a truck is just a truck, no matter what u bolt on it! Guess I'm just an old guy, sticking to his old ways! Lol. Now I guess everyone can rag on me now!

You do realize they still make the GT right
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
SVO!
No Doubt.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The new Mustang is a better overall car than before, there's no question, but Imo it could have been MUCH better then it currently is. It should have been lighter than the previous model not heavier and maybe a tad smaller than its current size. Also the V6 launch in the new 15s is a total blunder by Ford, no premium available and 5 hp less in a heavier car while the crapareo has like 324 hp or something along those lines.
Just pull the 3.7 out and replace it with the 3.5 eco making it the mid pack mustang and push the little 4 down to the rental class lol. There everyone would be happy.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
The new Mustang is a better overall car than before, there's no question, but Imo it could have been MUCH better then it currently is. It should have been lighter than the previous model not heavier and maybe a tad smaller than its current size. Also the V6 launch in the new 15s is a total blunder by Ford, no premium available and 5 hp less in a heavier car while the crapareo has like 324 hp or something along those lines.
Just pull the 3.7 out and replace it with the 3.5 eco making it the mid pack mustang and push the little 4 down to the rental class lol. There everyone would be happy.

Sent from LG G3.
LOL I love this! but Troy has a mind set i agree with...however for me its the body style...i dont see why they couldnt have just made indy suspension on the 2011s+ when they went with these more modern and badass engines...its all for money though. Ford has never really been about the customer when it comes to the Mustang except the fact because of old school drag racer crying to keep the solid rear axel...(honestly I have NO CLUE why they would keep that garbage when every other competitor has moved on YEARS ago.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Neither
High compression NA coyote

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

3.7 or the Eco 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTech View Post

Since when has vmp offered a "turbo kit" for the ecoboost?

It already has a turbo so all you have to do is swap it.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Since when has vmp offered a "turbo kit" for the ecoboost?

It already has a turbo so all you have to do is swap it.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
VMP Tuning's Eco just about ready to go to Eco Battle.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

I know about this. I was asking since when did it become available

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i dont know.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	192192  
Old 10-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Let's just assume yesterday?
Old 10-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

As to the OP's original question.........drive both and see what you think if you don't want the V8.
The V6 is going to have a little better off the line/around town feeling to it I think, but the EcoBoost 4 is going to catch it rapidly under hard acceleration soon after.
The thing that really hurts the V6 is the COMPLETE lack of available options. Ford is clearly not marketing the V6 in any way other than as a rental special. Although the V6 convertible with cloth seats is a bargain compared to almost any other convertible....again, no options for it, and you will see a Mustang just like yours parked in every Hertz and Enterprise lot all over town.

As for the styling of the new ones, I think that every 'Stang before the 2015's looks cheap, plain, old fashioned and slab sided............I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

2015 Convertible V-6

I paid $12,000.00 less than a gt and $8,500.00 less than a 2.3 liter.
That left a lot of money for Eibach sport-line coils and front and rear sway-bars.
Air-raid CAI, BBK 73mm throttle body, BBK shorty's and mid-pipes, Magnaflow axle backs, camel leather seats and door panels, 1000 watt amp and sub-woofer, CDC light-bar and a Love the Ride wind deflector.
It looks better than any stock 2015 convertible, runs better than the stock 2.3 liter and costs a lot less...even with all the mods. it corners and brakes better than a stock mustang because it has a lower center of gravity. It would be nice to have the Brembo brake package if I were to race the car, but if I wanted to race, I wouldn't buy a convertible. The fact is the stock brakes stop just as well as the Brembo's if your not on a track...they will fade quickly if you race though.
Kelleniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleniz View Post
I paid $12,000.00 less than a gt and $8,500.00 less than a 2.3 liter.
That left a lot of money for Eibach sport-line coils and front and rear sway-bars.
Air-raid CAI, BBK 73mm throttle body, BBK shorty's and mid-pipes, Magnaflow axle backs, camel leather seats and door panels, 1000 watt amp and sub-woofer, CDC light-bar and a Love the Ride wind deflector.
It looks better than any stock 2015 convertible, runs better than the stock 2.3 liter and costs a lot less...even with all the mods. it corners and brakes better than a stock mustang because it has a lower center of gravity. It would be nice to have the Brembo brake package if I were to race the car, but if I wanted to race, I wouldn't buy a convertible. The fact is the stock brakes stop just as well as the Brembo's if your not on a track...they will fade quickly if you race though.
Sounds like you made a great choice for you. What color did you get?............I like your choice of mods. How well does that wind deflector work? Can you have your seats all the way back and put the top up and down with it installed?
It is kinda' on the expensive side of what is available, but looks to be very high quality compared to others as well.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
As to the OP's original question.........drive both and see what you think if you don't want the V8.
The V6 is going to have a little better off the line/around town feeling to it I think, but the EcoBoost 4 is going to catch it rapidly under hard acceleration soon after.
The thing that really hurts the V6 is the COMPLETE lack of available options. Ford is clearly not marketing the V6 in any way other than as a rental special. Although the V6 convertible with cloth seats is a bargain compared to almost any other convertible....again, no options for it, and you will see a Mustang just like yours parked in every Hertz and Enterprise lot all over town.

As for the styling of the new ones, I think that every 'Stang before the 2015's looks cheap, plain, old fashioned and slab sided............I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Look up the dyno of any stock turbo 4 and get back to me
Old 10-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Look up the dyno of any stock turbo 4 and get back to me
What I meant was just gentle, around town driving with moderate throttle inputs.....no turbo lag for the V6, and I really don't think the 5 HP more is going to make that much difference when you are struck in traffic enjoying the smoother V6 idle.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I watched a drag race between a new '15 ecoboost and 2012 v6 and the EB gets it off the line than the v6 runs it down. On stock tune the EB has good low and mid range power but than kinda goes no where above 4000 rpm and that's why the v6 can and did finish first in the race. I think the s197 did 13.9 and the EB was 14.5. Thinkin the v6 is still the better way to go especially procharged
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitboss View Post
I watched a drag race between a new '15 ecoboost and 2012 v6 and the EB gets it off the line than the v6 runs it down.
That surprises me with a turbo motor...........but again, a drag race is not what I was talking about --- "around town/in traffic" driving, I still think that the V6 is going to "feel" better.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitboss View Post
I watched a drag race between a new '15 ecoboost and 2012 v6 and the EB gets it off the line than the v6 runs it down. On stock tune the EB has good low and mid range power but than kinda goes no where above 4000 rpm and that's why the v6 can and did finish first in the race. I think the s197 did 13.9 and the EB was 14.5. Thinkin the v6 is still the better way to go especially procharged
Of course I have no idea what gears the V6 had but if it had the standard 2:73 gears, that's off the line issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 4 banger come standard with 3:31 gears?

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang