Dealerships wont take trade in. Come on Ford!!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
Appearnlty there are 16 total cases, 5 of which have been consolidated here in Florida. Some are for cases with injury, some are for prior knowledge of defects that stretch back years, and some for diminished value. I see some of the auto makers possibly being at fault here knowing that this company was under scrutiny since 2008 for faulty air bags and still using them.

The plot thickens...

GOOGLE!
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 10:56 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
My 14 TrakPak is one of the cars affected by the airbag recall and I just put it up for sale in a number of different websites.
I went to my local Ford Dealer which I have a lot of respect for and talked with the sales manager. He told me that they have wholesaled all of the Mustangs that were in their inventory that had an airbag recall.....1. Because of the liability it would bring to the company if they sold one and someone got injured or worse. 2. They feel it will not be until sometime next year before this is resolved and they are business to make money not loose money. He went on to tell me if my Mustang which just turned 10k miles didn't have an airbag recall he would give me $26k for my car and would love to put in the showroom.
I have since gone to a Cadillac dealer as they have a really nice CTS-V and they are willing to deal with me now for $25k...we didn't sit down and start signing papers and if I go back we'll see if they will pony up and let me drive away without any issues about the air bag...I can totally understand the Ford Dealers situation as it's not their fault.
I just doubt this airbag issue will be resolved until next year sometime...it ain't going to happen this year.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #38
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
My 14 TrakPak is one of the cars affected by the airbag recall and I just put it up for sale in a number of different websites.
I went to my local Ford Dealer which I have a lot of respect for and talked with the sales manager. He told me that they have wholesaled all of the Mustangs that were in their inventory that had an airbag recall.....1. Because of the liability it would bring to the company if they sold one and someone got injured or worse. 2. They feel it will not be until sometime next year before this is resolved and they are business to make money not loose money. He went on to tell me if my Mustang which just turned 10k miles didn't have an airbag recall he would give me $26k for my car and would love to put in the showroom.
I have since gone to a Cadillac dealer as they have a really nice CTS-V and they are willing to deal with me now for $25k...we didn't sit down and start signing papers and if I go back we'll see if they will pony up and let me drive away without any issues about the air bag...I can totally understand the Ford Dealers situation as it's not their fault.
I just doubt this airbag issue will be resolved until next year sometime...it ain't going to happen this year.
CTS-V, that will be a nice upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 11:16 PM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
CTS-V, that will be a nice upgrade.
I bought a very, very low mile 2003 Terminator just recently and really have no wish to continue building the 14 TrakPak car...so it's time to move on.
Yes, they are nice cars. What peaked my interest is a couple of weeks ago I got a ride in a Hennesy HPE1000. They are nice road cars and I believe an HPE1000 broke 221mph in the Texas mile...that's cooking.
As I've always said, "you can never have enough HP".
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Class action lawsuits diminish your "value" as the "class" get a diminished return of cash!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
Class action lawsuits diminish your "value" as the "class" get a diminished return of cash!
Exactly. The only winners in those cases are attorneys.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #42
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
That is a huge problem everywhare

They Produce something bad and know people can get injured or killed and they just don't tell anyone. Are they so dumb that they think they will never get caught?
If they would have taken care of this when first noticed, It would be all over now and not cost them so much $$$$$$.

GM had the same crap with the steering collar lock and would not admit it for years until I believe it was seven people killed not counting the hundred injured over the years 97 to 2004 when they finely got busted. Next was the ignition switch that has the design problem. Why did they just not take care of the problem right away.

I was always brought up that when you see a problem "YOU FIX IT or TELL SOMEONE"
You just don't hide it and hope nobody will notice "EVER"
Ronnie--AT IT AGAIN-- Ha! Ha!
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #43

Region: Connecticut
I'm sure there's a few more parts in every car out there that are not up to standard, and if you are involved in an accident, they could hurt you with the same indiference as this air bag mess.

I do feel bad for people who legitimately need to selll their car due to financial or other reasons, but to sell a car because of what could happen, doesn't seem a great reason to me.

I could get plowed over by a bus stepping off a curb tomorrow. I have other things to worry about then the airbag in my GT. Bottom line, when your number's up, it's time to go.

God hates a coward.

Those of you who enjoy your ride, my hat's off to you. Enjoy it while you can, before you have to sell it because you have to buy a house, put a kid through college, or, heaven forbid! Get married! LoL!

Bern
bernj1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Checked my vin on the ford site. My car is affected and it shows up as a required fix on the car fax.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #45
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Probably the only ones not affected have different air bags and not the ones made by TAKATA.
All of the cars made that have the TAKATA air bags are being recalled.
Mine is on the list and I'm dreading having some idiot at the dealers pry off my steering wheel to fix something that probably don't need fixing in the first place.
My Mustang has been 100% perfect and I would like to keep it that way.
Ronnie
Old 10-12-2015, 03:20 AM   #46
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I'd contact a lawyer. If Ford is behind with obtaining parts (not their fault, but this should not be pushed to the consumer), they should not be punishing the consumer who wishes to trade a car in with a known defect that they (owner) cannot do anything about at the moment.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #47

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
did you really do this? I'd rather take my chances that a random piece of steel will scar my pretty face than to get the steering wheel embedded in my chest.

I'd like to once again bring up my safety question:

What would happen to the overall injury rate if instead of airbags there were steel spike on the steering wheel?

I might have to unhook mine. Heck when I started driving the only airbag we had was either the wife or girlfriend lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Otroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #48
Kevin.Cook

I would just keep trying other dealerships. When I was looking at a 5.0 a couple of months back, my 2014 was known to be included in this recall. Yet the dealership was really trying to get me to trade it. They REALLY liked it an even the sales manager said he knew it would sell QUICK! They offered me 20k in trade value. Much higher then what they normally give. I think they only blue book around 16-17k for the base models? And mine "shows" 50k miles. They did price it as a Premium also. Thanks to my awesome Premium conversion skillz....

(Too bad the banks wouldn't cooperate though)
Old 10-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I want a Coyote so bad but this Air Bag situation just hurts....I also contacted my Salesmen who sold me my stang and he advised me to wait till November some time to decide on getting a 2011-2014 GT due to this situation. All of their S197's are on lock down and only the 2015's available.

Katy Ford Autonation if anyone was wondering.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #50
Staff

Regular
Staff

I just did a quick Google search and from what I read dealers are NOT allowed to sell new cars with open recalls but CAN sell used cars with them.

that being said I can see someone buying a used car suing the dealer for not fixing it B4 the sale. I'm going to side with the dealer with this and think it is worth less with the old airbag and it is up to them to decide if they want to buy it or not.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #51
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I just did a quick Google search and from what I read dealers are NOT allowed to sell new cars with open recalls but CAN sell used cars with them.

that being said I can see someone buying a used car suing the dealer for not fixing it B4 the sale. I'm going to side with the dealer with this and think it is worth less with the old airbag and it is up to them to decide if they want to buy it or not.
Excellent logic to the dealer, and I can see your point. However, the consumer who owns the car is losing, and that is not fair. I doubt anyone would buy a car knowingly that it would force them to have to hold on to it because of a defect (not the direct Fault of Ford). I have a friend who has to sell his Mustang, as he and his wife are expecting twins; the Mustang has to go for a more "friendly" family car with more room to haul all of the "kid" stuff.
If a person chooses to trade in a car for any reason, they should not be held up, punished, or loose money because of the defect.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Excellent logic to the dealer, but the consumer who owns the car is losing, and that is not fair. I did not buy a car knowingly that it would force me to hold on to it because of a defect (not the direct Fault of Ford). If I choose to trade in a car, I should not be held up or punished because of the defect.
I understand your point, but just playing devil's advocate here; its equally not fair for the dealer to be "forced" to buy your car, and to get out of it they could just offer you a garbage price...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #53
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
If a person chooses to trade in a car for any reason, they should not be held up, punished, or loose money because of the defect.
But the person responsible is Takata they are not about to pony up the $ w/o court.

(intended)

this is one of those cases where atty's are the only winners.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #54
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I understand your point, but just playing devil's advocate here; its equally not fair for the dealer to be "forced" to buy your car, and to get out of it they could just offer you a garbage price...
Agreed. It should be the manufacturer of the airbag that has to cover the cost of the person that wants to trade in their vehicle with this temporary defect for any loss it may cause.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #55
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Agreed. It should be the manufacturer of the airbag that has to cover the cost of the person that wants to trade in their vehicle with this temporary defect for any loss it may cause.
I have to think there is a shared responsibility here between Ford and Takata. Takata has had multiple airbag recalls across the last decade which are public record. The question then becomes who made the decision against mitigated risk that using this company was a good idea? What was the vetting process that made Ford think "hey even though this company has had multiple airbag recalls, we should still use them".

At least one of the 16 lawsuits filed is claiming the auto manufacturer had prior knowledge of the issue.

"In February 2010, Honda ordered the recall of an additional 438,000 Accord, Civic, CR-V, Odyssey, Pilot and Acura models with Takata airbags, again not acknowledging past injuries or deaths. It also issued recalls in April and December 2011, April 2013 and, most recently, August of this year."
Sourcehttp://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/business/air-bag-flaw-long-known-led-to-recalls.html

To those willing to take the risk here are some pictures from Takata airbag explosions. I would rather not take this risk. When I take risks they are calculated and almost never involve life or death as an option...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

What do you expect ford to do? Give you top dollar for the car ? I do agree it's bs they're bringing the price of your car down just because it isn't fixed , they shouldn't put that into account since they sell them this way anyway. But this doesn't mean that every mustang has a airbag that isn't functioning correctly, this means that most of them aren't, which yes is bad but your car isn't forsure one that isn't working. Again I agree with you on how they don't wanna take your car in, they definitely should and not make any excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
iamcesarmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #57
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcesarmiranda View Post
What do you expect ford to do? Give you top dollar for the car ? I do agree it's bs they're bringing the price of your car down just because it isn't fixed , they shouldn't put that into account since they sell them this way anyway. But this doesn't mean that every mustang has a airbag that isn't functioning correctly, this means that most of them aren't, which yes is bad but your car isn't forsure one that isn't working. Again I agree with you on how they don't wanna take your car in, they definitely should and not make any excuses.

The more time I had to digest the situation, I go both ways with it. Like I stated before I just don't take the risk lightly, you are correct it may be OK and I have nothing to worry about. On the other hand it may not be OK and that bothers me a great deal.

If I was single and my wife and children did not rely on me for everything I would take the risk in a different light. However it is just as much about them as it is me, they need me. Putting myself at risk is not my decision to make anymore. For this reason and years ago I quit drinking and smoking, things at the time I enjoyed as much as driving my sports car now...

As for the dealerships, I would not expect a non Ford dealership to take any ownership in the situation. It is a tough call, I paid full price for a vehicle that was not worth what was paid as has been made evident by my recent attempt to trade it in. This was by no fault of my own. If the vehicle was bought used that would also be a different scenario, however this was purchased new off the floor and financed though FMC.

I am not asking for anything above and beyond the actual ability to trade it in at the value it should be worth. How Ford goes about reconciling the value difference once they absorb the vehicle should be up to them to figure out. They are a multi-billion dollar company, I am sure they have people smarter than me to figure that part out...

Its complicated and I get that, but as I sated earlier Ford may have more responsibility in the situation by choosing to use a company with a very checkered history as of the last decade.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:

Is that a state thing or a federal thing. The day I bought my Mustang I drove a Camaro first. They had the faulty ignition switch at the time and were going to sell me the car and have me bring it in when they got the part to replace the switch. Would they be violating a law doing that?
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
As far as I am concerned, Ford Motors is responsible to me for the total car that they designed, engineered, assembled, and sold as an entity.
Takata is one of the many vendors that is responsible to Ford Motors for their products.
The makers/vendors of the materials used in the makeup of the airbags is responsible to Takata for their products.

Also, I feel that a person should be allowed to purchase a vehicle, that is subject to a recall, so long as they sign a waiver of acknowledgement and responsibility the decision. And that same philosophy should apply to the dealer selling to a private party willing to sign a waiver for the car.
Hell when people buy/sell houses with known lead paint they allow the purchaser to sign a waiver of responsibility.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #60
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

One major problem is:

Some of these things went off without an accident.
They say in a damp hot climate the airbag can deploy for no reason except the humidity.
It is only the drivers side and not the passenger side.
Something like this could have been taken care of with proper manufacturing procedures like serial numbers and Production numbers.
It would not cost that greedy company more then a nickle an airbag or less to inscribe a number and keep records.
Anyway, What ever happened to Japanese quality control? It seems all of the Jap cars have had serious problems lately.

Those pictures are horrible

What the hell is taking so long to manufacture replacements???
Ronnie
Old 10-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #61
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
They say in a damp hot climate the airbag can deploy for no reason except the humidity.
Something like this could have been taken care of with proper manufacturing procedures like serial numbers and Production numbers.
It would not cost that greedy company more then a nickle an airbag or less to inscribe a number and keep records.
Anyway, What ever happened to Japanese quality control? It seems all of the Jap cars have had serious problems lately.

Ronnie

That is not encouraging. I live 3 miles from the ocean in Florida, and less than a mile from an large river... It does not get more humid than my non-climate controlled garage. Mosquito population would confirm this LOL.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

For the record my sisters 2007 mustang already got called for the fix, so did my dads 2009, aswell as my best friends 2010. They've all been fixed now, I really hope you get this situated I understand it's not your fault AT ALL.

iamcesarmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #63
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcesarmiranda View Post
For the record my sisters 2007 mustang already got called for the fix, so did my dads 2009, aswell as my best friends 2010. They've all been fixed now, I really hope you get this situated I understand it's not your fault AT ALL.

Thanks! The dealerships here say there is no known date for parts availability. They estimated 8 months at the earliest.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks! The dealerships here say there is no known date for parts availability. They estimated 8 months at the earliest.
It may be that Ford is fixing the oldest cars first since time has something to do with this defect. It apparently takes a while for the corrosion to effect the airbag inflator so newer cars will not be likely to shoot shrapnel. Hopefully all will be fixed before they do.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:03 AM   #65
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
They are hiring literally anyone who applies over here so they can push out the parts for this recall. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #66
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuy View Post
Is that a state thing or a federal thing. The day I bought my Mustang I drove a Camaro first. They had the faulty ignition switch at the time and were going to sell me the car and have me bring it in when they got the part to replace the switch. Would they be violating a law doing that?
From what I read and it was just the first site that looked like it answered my ? It is a Federal thing.

quick search/single source only
Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #67
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
It may be that Ford is fixing the oldest cars first since time has something to do with this defect. It apparently takes a while for the corrosion to effect the airbag inflator so newer cars will not be likely to shoot shrapnel. Hopefully all will be fixed before they do.
They might also be fixing cars sold in humid areas first.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

The original 2008 Takata recall ONLY effected cars in humid areas until it was upgraded to all cars with the airbag. I wish they would fix my 2012 Florida car first, but from what I have read they are only fixing 2010 or earlier right now.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Our Ford dealership is still selling mustangs under recall.
Search Used Cars Inventory at Laird Noller Ford Inc - Your Topeka, Kansas Ford dealer

You can plug the VIN numbers in here https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #70
rob.james.arias

Does Deysha still monitor these forums? I would be interested in hearing a response from Ford customer service, good, bad or indifferent.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang