Dealerships wont take trade in. Come on Ford!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
rob.james.arias

Dealerships wont take trade in. Come on Ford!!!

Took my car to trade it in today. Two different dealerships, one Ford and one Chevy. Both wont take the car because of the unresolved airbag recall. No parts available from local dealers and no known availability date.

I am so disappointed, once again, with my Ford experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So you're upset with a dealer for not taking a car they cant sell because it has a known issue and no one has the parts to fix it, or knows when they will have the parts?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
So you're upset with a dealer for not taking a car they cant sell because it has a known issue and no one has the parts to fix it, or knows when they will have the parts?

Bwahahahahahahhahahahaaha. Oh wait, you're serious?

Should I just be content driving a car I don't feel safe in? You are actually correct, yes I am upset with Ford not having a solution and forcing me into keeping a vehicle as it is essentially worthless if it can't be traded in. Oddly enough my loan from Ford Credit says it's worth a lot more... (Edited my initial response as I m upset, but not with you. I apologize for my rude tone.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I hear ya, my dealer said they wouldn't have parts available until some time late this year. But even then, it wasn't a for sure thing. So, just disconnected the airbag from the car. I know that's not the greatest thing to do. But if it came down to it, rather smash my face and live, then get hit with a shotgun blast to the face. I'm in no way recommending disconnecting the air bag for anyone else.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
Bwahahahahahahhahahahaaha. Oh wait, your serious?

Well when you put it that way I certainly can see how it is my fault they sold vehicles with defective parts creating an issue with no resolution. My goodness I was so silly to be upset, when clearly I am the one to blame for buying the car to begin with. I should just be content driving a car I don't feel safe in.
You're*, and yes i am serious. Its a crappy situation, i'm not saying it isn't, but you cant blame them. Also, its not Ford's problem, as you clearly stated you took it to a chevy dealership and they said the same thing; its a Takata issue, and they were the number one airbag distributor, so everyone got screwed. If you're really just here for sympathy, or to play the blame game, give takata a ring and tell them to handle it. A dealer is in no way obligated to take your trade in.

Hell, When i was trying to trade in my first mazdaspeed3 on a 5.0 i had two dealerships straight up tell me they weren't going to take the car because it was a turbo car and a standard, and no one would know how to take care of it or drive it, so it would be hard for them to sell. I just kept looking and eventually found one that would.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Get out your bicycle, as far as I know not equipped with Takata airbag!
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynes World View Post
Where is the "like" button?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
As anyone that ever watched 60-minutes or any of the reports on this air bag disaster should know. It is a very small percentage of them that are defective.
Takata did not have any of the products stamped with a Production Number or and identifying markings that would let them just recall the bad ones.
The way they have to fix this is to recall every one of them and there are many brands of cars that used these.
It is a huge mess and could have been done and over if that company just used production standards.
There have been a whole lot of air-bag deployments with no problems. A few with the explosion problem and a very few that deployed without a crash.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
As anyone that ever watched 60-minutes or any of the reports on this air bag disaster should know. It is a very small percentage of them that are defective.
Takata did not have any of the products stamped with a Production Number or and identifying markings that would let them just recall the bad ones.
The way they have to fix this is to recall every one of them and there are many brands of cars that used these.
It is a huge mess and could have been done and over if that company just used production standards.
There have been a whole lot of air-bag deployments with no problems. A few with the explosion problem and a very few that deployed without a crash.
Ronnie

Interesting... Thanks for the clarification. Now I don't have to waste an hr of my time watching 60 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #10

Region: Illinois
now that some funny
jimbob58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynes World View Post
Lmao!

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I agree with rob

What ford is saying to rob is crap. Ford just sold me a mustang with this recall known and not fixed. So, why can't they pay for your trade in? They are clearly selling them unfixed!

Old 10-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah I don't like that either.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
My 08 has the same issue. Got a letter saying they will contact me when it's my turn to get it fixed. That was 3 months ago & still haven't heard anything else.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmurphy16 View Post
What ford is saying to rob is crap. Ford just sold me a mustang with this recall known and not fixed. So, why can't they pay for your trade in? They are clearly selling them unfixed!

not quite,they can't sell them until fixed.at least by law they can't
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well, wake forest crossroads ford is breaking the law then, because they sold me a CPO '13 mustang a month ago with it not fixed. Told me they would contact me once the part was available.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Well, wake forest crossroads ford is breaking the law then, because they sold me a CPO '13 mustang a month ago with it not fixed. Told me they would contact me once the part was available.
Did you check the VIN to verify that it's recalled? If so, the dealer did indeed break the law delivering the car to you.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTech View Post
I hear ya, my dealer said they wouldn't have parts available until some time late this year. But even then, it wasn't a for sure thing. So, just disconnected the airbag from the car. I know that's not the greatest thing to do. But if it came down to it, rather smash my face and live, then get hit with a shotgun blast to the face. I'm in no way recommending disconnecting the air bag for anyone else.
Having disconnected your airbag, is your safety belt still functional?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
did you really do this? I'd rather take my chances that a random piece of steel will scar my pretty face than to get the steering wheel embedded in my chest.

I'd like to once again bring up my safety question:

What would happen to the overall injury rate if instead of airbags there were steel spike on the steering wheel?
Old 10-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Having disconnected your airbag, is your safety belt still functional?
why wouldn't it work? It'll still keep you restrained it just won't have the airbag to help it.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

if the NTSB get wind of them selling these recalled cars they will be in deep do-do. against the law we got mail telling us we could not sell affected cars until repaired. not all the mustangs were involved in this.just ones build before a certain date
Old 10-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Did you check the VIN to verify that it's recalled? If so, the dealer did indeed break the law delivering the car to you.

and also lose their ford dealership.ask yarborough ford in belton,s.c.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
why wouldn't it work? It'll still keep you restrained it just won't have the airbag to help it.
I'm not familiar with exactly what locks up the belt. For example, would disconnecting the fuse cause the belt not to lock up?
Hence the reason for the question.
Do you happen to know?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
did you really do this? I'd rather take my chances that a random piece of steel will scar my pretty face than to get the steering wheel embedded in my chest.

I'd like to once again bring up my safety question:

What would happen to the overall injury rate if instead of airbags there were steel spike on the steering wheel?
I sure did. The seat belt still works and locks. Last I read a report that when the airbag went off, it was almost equivalent to taking a shotgun to the face. Um, I'd rather not. At least with the steering wheel in my chest I can recover from it and show it off like Flava Flave. Shards of metal to the face, not so much. But again, I'm not recommending it to anyone.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I recently visited a Ford dealer in Jacksonville, FL to check out a new 16. They would take my 14 in trade on a new 16 at a fair price (for a dealer trade). I asked how they could sell with pending recall. He said their attorney has written up some sort of "paperwork" that gets them around the Federal fine for selling a car with a pending recall. We bought a vehicle from a Chevrolet store in late August. He had a 13 GT and a 14 V6 Prem on his used car lot & said they would take my 14 Mustang in trade anytime. Carfax showed pending recall on both. I inquired about them selling a vehicle pending recall. Was told the same as the Ford guy said. Dealer attorney had some sort of disclosure statement/paper buyer had to sign & it got them around the Fed fine. Both Ford & Chevy dealers said it was due to the availability of parts issue.
Disclosure - I'm NOT an attorney so don't know if this is valid or not, just what they said.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #26
rob.james.arias

Really great input everyone. The dealership I brought it to is the number 1 Ford volume dealer in Florida. It seems like they would have a letter like this figured out if buying and selling these pending recall affected models made sense for them.

I am not upset with the dealer as much as I am with Ford and Takata in general. Wondering if it would make any sense to pursue legal action against Takata for diminished value. I really am nervous about having the airbag fail...
Old 10-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

FYI, seat belts lock by mechanical means.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 10-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am not upset with the dealer as much as I am with Ford and Takata in general. Wondering if it would make any sense to pursue legal action against Takata for diminished value. I really am nervous about having the airbag fail...
Really?? What diminished value? The cost to litigate that ridiculous claim would dwarf any 'diminished value' by an incredible margin.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #29
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Stang View Post
Really?? What diminished value? The cost to litigate that ridiculous claim would dwarf any 'diminished value' by an incredible margin.
Ridiculous claim? Please explain.

A car that can not be sold for its actual value has diminished value, which would clearly be the case here. In fact this car has no value in any scenario which requires a trade in.

Selling it outright would present a moral dilemma as I would be faced with a choice of passing on a vehicle with potentially defective safety system or less importantly is the fact that I feel like I was ripping someone off. Either way I would have hard time justifying this without explaining the issue the the buyer, who in turn would either walk away from the deal or logically present a counter offer at a lower price if they chose to take that risk.

My guess (just a guess) is that Takata has prepared for this and would vehemently refute any case lobbied against them as admitting in a singular instance of any wrong doing would open a large can of worms, since then they would have to admit fault of diminished value in every instance their air-bags were installed in a vehicle. There is no doubt they would defend it with great enthusiasm, however I would wager they would settle out of court with some sort of binding litigation that requires the plaintiff to waive liability in any instance and possibly some form of "confidentiality waiver" or similar that required the out of court settlement to remain confidential.

Just an uneducated guess, I have no experience in legal of any sort.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
FYI, seat belts lock by mechanical means.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Thanks...that's good to know. I thought, way back, someone mentioned the failure of the seat belts when airbag fuse was pulled. Just more speculation I guess.
I feel the chances are much greater for the airbags to actuate then getting a steering wheel through my chest with a seat belt on, particularly when it takes less impact force for the airbags to actuate.
Goodby airbag fuse!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #31
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Stang View Post
I guess I may have been on to something.

"Labaton Sucharow filed the first nationwide consumer class action on October 27, 2014 in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida on behalf of all persons or entities who purchased or acquired one of the nearly 35 million affected vehicles containing Takata-brand airbags.
The case seeks to address two major issues: (1) The need to protect drivers and passengers from vehicles containing these airbags; and (2) The diminution in value of vehicles containing Takata airbags."

Source:Takata Airbag Consumer Class Action
Old 10-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess I may have been on to something.

"Labaton Sucharow filed the first nationwide consumer class action on October 27, 2014 in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida on behalf of all persons or entities who purchased or acquired one of the nearly 35 million affected vehicles containing Takata-brand airbags.
The case seeks to address two major issues: (1) The need to protect drivers and passengers from vehicles containing these airbags; and (2) The diminution in value of vehicles containing Takata airbags."

Source:Takata Airbag Consumer Class Action
Nice find Rob! There's probably more to that. But that right there addresses all of your questions.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Nice find Rob! There's probably more to that. But that right there addresses all of your questions.
Agreed. It also means that if/when this case is settled, there might be some benefit for those of us still owning our cars.

It may just be a coupon for a free Happy Meal, but I'd take it...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agreed. It also means that if/when this case is settled, there might be some benefit for those of us still owning our cars.

I'll take the coupon and sell it to you Tym. Lol!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #35
rob.james.arias

Quote:

Appearnlty there are 16 total cases, 5 of which have been consolidated here in Florida. Some are for cases with injury, some are for prior knowledge of defects that stretch back years, and some for diminished value. I see some of the auto makers possibly being at fault here knowing that this company was under scrutiny since 2008 for faulty air bags and still using them.

The plot thickens...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang