Driveline question. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Micco
Region: Florida
Posts: 141
Driveline question.

Should my back axle be moving with the car in Neutral ? Cars up on blocks with the wheels and rotors, and mufflers off... started her up to see how the cars sounds without them. Noticed the rear hub going about 15 rpm. Got back in and pushed the clutch in and they stopped... but the car was in neutral the whole time??
Ppkonablue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppkonablue12 View Post
Should my back axle be moving with the car in Neutral ? Cars up on blocks with the wheels and rotors, and mufflers off... started her up to see how the cars sounds without them. Noticed the rear hub going about 15 rpm. Got back in and pushed the clutch in and they stopped... but the car was in neutral the whole time??
Believe that is not unusual.
Remember that the clutch is engaging the flywheel to the input shaft of the transmission. So I suspect the spinning moves the gear oil enough to turn the gears on the output shaft.
You will probably get a better answer from someone who knows what they're talking about. LOL
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
No need for concern. This is normal.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Believe that is not unusual.
Remember that the clutch is engaging the flywheel to the input shaft of the transmission. So I suspect the spinning moves the gear oil enough to turn the gears on the output shaft.
You will probably get a better answer from someone who knows what they're talking about. LOL
In my experience, you'll find that more or less the inertial transmitting device is mated to the torque acceptance shaft of the transmission. This "intertial" spinning motion is often enough to agitate the associated lubricants and cause collateral movement among the related gears and, torque output device, respectively.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
In my experience, you'll find that more or less the inertial transmitting device is mated to the torque acceptance shaft of the transmission. This "intertial" spinning motion is often enough to agitate the associated lubricants and cause collateral movement among the related gears and, torque output device, respectively.

As in a torque transmitting device.
LOL
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,449
.
Attached Images
 
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Micco
Region: Florida
Posts: 141
So nothing to do with the flux capacitor??
Ppkonablue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppkonablue12 View Post
So nothing to do with the flux capacitor??
Only have to worry about that if the gigawatts drop below 5
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Micco
Region: Florida
Posts: 141
Thanks guys. Out painting my calipers now. Cars are stress relief....
Ppkonablue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tremec driveline Angle Finder crroy71 Mustang DIY and Technical 0 12-18-2014 08:47 PM
Stock Automatic Driveline Concerns DtrMustang 2005-2010 Mustang GT 7 08-17-2013 09:02 PM
Rebuilt Driveline and Vibration...Need help/advice vinnie7009 1979-1995 Mustang GT 5 08-08-2008 03:34 PM
Driveline loss gdcpony Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 0 08-17-2003 05:30 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:53 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.