Wheel Size - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Wheel Size

Hey Friends, Someone tell me what to expect if I change the wheels on my 2014 Premium pony from 18" X 8" which is what it came with to 18" X 8.5" ? Also do I need new tires ? Thanks for the response..
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
That's a very small change in width and shouldn't effect anything. Should create a slightly wider contact patch from the tires and won't affect their height much at all.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 10-14-2015, 03:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I was kind of thinking that. I have found if you post an idea or project on here, sometimes you get various opinions to think about..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
Thanks, I was kind of thinking that. I have found if you post an idea or project on here, sometimes you get various opinions to think about..

Yep, that's what this forum is all about.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 10-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
It'll give you some latitude my friend. I think the widest tires you can put on an 8" rim effectively (you can go bigger but you are pushing limits) is 235s. On our sixers, there really isn't a point of packing 305 etc. Now a 255... on a 8.5" rim you're talkin! But what ever you're running now will work fine on both rims.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^^ This.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks

Yea thanks for the info. I just want to get rid of those Pirelli P Zero tires. I don't think that they are one of Fords better ideas. I recently purchased a set of Ford Chrome Bullitt wheels 18 X 8.5. I'm planning on putting a set of Michelin's on them. I think I will stay with the standard 235/50. Ill just try to sell the factory wheels, tires, nuts as a local pick up here. Looks like its going to be a beautiful week end here in eastern NC. Have a good day.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
This is a good website if you want to compare different size tires/wheels

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc
kapcan2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
It'll give you some latitude my friend. I think the widest tires you can put on an 8" rim effectively (you can go bigger but you are pushing limits) is 235s. On our sixers, there really isn't a point of packing 305 etc. Now a 255... on a 8.5" rim you're talkin! But what ever you're running now will work fine on both rims.
What if the tire manufacturers specifications for a 255/45/18 indicated the minimum wheel width of 8" and the maximum width of 9.5", would this still be OK with the 18x8 wheels?
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I would think so . You are in the range.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
I would think so . You are in the range.

That's what I think as well. I usually like going with manufacturers specifications as they know what will fit. Besides, the difference in width between the 235 and 255 tires I've been looking at is only a 0.80" increase in width, which is 0.40" on either side of the wheel.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 10-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Even though you're on the low end of the range, the tall sidewall gives you a little breathing room as far as fitting that tire on there, It may just make the handling a little ... floaty? squishy? It will be fine, i'm just saying its something you MAY notice. Personally i'd prefer to run a 255 on a 8.5" rim minimum, but i understand you're working with a budget.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Papa, I hear ya on the P Zeros. Didn't really ever dislike mine, but I never loved them either. Put on a set of General Gmaxx a few months back and love em'. On the lower range of price, good mileage and grip. I considered going to 255/45-18s tires. Getting back to the original point of your thread, I know if I were going to spring for rims, I'd go 8.5" width with 255/45s on em'. My two cents.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Even though you're on the low end of the range, the tall sidewall gives you a little breathing room as far as fitting that tire on there, It may just make the handling a little ... floaty? squishy? It will be fine, i'm just saying its something you MAY notice. Personally i'd prefer to run a 255 on a 8.5" rim minimum, but i understand you're working with a budget.
Thanks for the constructive feedback. I'm currently running the stock Pirelli 235/50/18 which has a bit taller side wall which is floaty enough, so stepping down to a 45 side wall should be a wash or maybe a tad bit firmer. I guess I'm splitting hairs, but I just want a wider footprint which the 255s should fit the bill. Dang, anything will be an improvement over the Pirellis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang