Help! Brake order gone wrong.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Help! Brake order gone wrong..

Ordered a Power Stop kit from AM chatted with them before ordering and told them I had a 2012 V6 manual performance pack car. AM said quickly and definitively that I needed the GT brakes... so I ordered.

Today the kit arrives and the front rotors are to big. measured mine and they are 12.4 the one I just received are 13.5".... crap!

I call AM and the guy says "if you really have the PP you have the right brakes" so I give him my VIN and he comes back a few minutes later and tell me I have a base car, not the PP version... my VIN is1ZVBP8AM8C5259733 and I have the window sticker clearly saying PP and additional $1495. But my rotors are 12.4" ... does anyone know what I should have??

AM says they can't next day the correct rotors so I may just put the Power Stop pads on the old rotors . Then sent the new cool looking drilled and slotted fun stuff back. Need beer!
Ppkonablue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppkonablue12 View Post
Ordered a Power Stop kit from AM chatted with them before ordering and told them I had a 2012 V6 manual performance pack car. AM said quickly and definitively that I needed the GT brakes... so I ordered.

Today the kit arrives and the front rotors are to big. measured mine and they are 12.4 the one I just received are 13.5".... crap!

I call AM and the guy says "if you really have the PP you have the right brakes" so I give him my VIN and he comes back a few minutes later and tell me I have a base car, not the PP version... my VIN is1ZVBP8AM8C5259733 and I have the window sticker clearly saying PP and additional $1495. But my rotors are 12.4" ... does anyone know what I should have??

AM says they can't next day the correct rotors so I may just put the Power Stop pads on the old rotors . Then sent the new cool looking drilled and slotted fun stuff back. Need beer!
I wouldn't put the new pads on the old rotors.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

No. As mentioned in various threads on here, the Manual PP one has 12.4" front rotors and the Auto has 13.2". Heck, I think I Even touched base on this in my PowerSport purchase thread very recently. Oh wait....I did O_o

PowerSport pads and rotors

Gotta read up man...

Not to be mean, but it sounds like you didn't research enough before purchasing. Never take just 1 person's word for it. The regular V6 kit suits a Manual with PP. You only need the GT one if you have an Auto w/ PP.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
evidently if you bought a manual PP car it came with just upgraded pads...the automatics received the larger GT rotors.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

AM will make it right for ya, just ask.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
AM will make it right for ya, just ask.
Yup. Just hit up Alex and I am sure he can priority ship you the right set. Just make sure to research when you buy stuff. OR just ask us.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

that is not really something you should have to research...if you put in the vin and it comes up with xxxxx not much more should be needed.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
that is not really something you should have to research...if you put in the vin and it comes up with xxxxx not much more should be needed.
True but wouldn't hurt. Especially in the case of being extremely unsure. OR if someone doesn't know what resources to use - then it does them no good. We were all green once.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

do you want to get the caliper mounting brackets and upgrade that way? I THINK that (and effort) is all you need to complete the upgrade
Old 10-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
do you want to get the caliper mounting brackets and upgrade that way? I THINK that (and effort) is all you need to complete the upgrade
I believe this is true. I would say just get the brackets so you can consider yourself "upgraded" in a way.

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

I'm sorry I'm new on here how do I post

Sent from my A0001 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
thomass7784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Kevin, I hear you on the research, and I do just that normally, but I kind of expected the mustang " experts" at AM to know. I mean I did ask, and told them I had a manual, and he was pretty clear- get these. If he would have hesitated, or acted unsure, I would have researched it on my own.

That said yes the brackets might be the way to go... and I could most likely get them from Bennett auto supply and just go pick them up. Does anyone a link or part number for the bracket?? And why did the V6 Manuals get cheated out of the larger rotors... hate to go against Ford if there's a reason- seems odd.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

Help! Brake order gone wrong..

Quote:
Kevin, I hear you on the research, and I do just that normally, but I kind of expected the mustang " experts" at AM to know. I mean I did ask, and told them I had a manual, and he was pretty clear- get these. If he would have hesitated, or acted unsure, I would have researched it on my own.

That said yes the brackets might be the way to go... and I could most likely get them from Bennett auto supply and just go pick them up. Does anyone a link or part number for the bracket?? And why did the V6 Manuals get cheated out of the larger rotors... hate to go against Ford if there's a reason- seems odd.

Not sure about the part number. No offense to AM, but I ask on here first before asking anyone doing Sales. Idc where it is.

Definitely just go with the brackets. Funny fact - if you bought all the pads and rotors separate, it would have been $50-$60 cheaper. Lol
Old 10-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
You sure it doesnt stand for Pony Package?

I am getting a bit of new info about this myself though.
So you guys mean to tell me the Manual with the PERFORMACE PACK. Comes with the standard V6 brakes and ONLY the Auto gets the GT (05-10 GT...not the 5.0) rotors?! Thats very odd...knowing this now I want to get the bigger brakes
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Not 05-10 GT. They are 11-14 GT stock rotors. Which are 13.2".

Yes the manual w/ performance package has 12.4" rotors. I mean i do have a 3.7 manual and auto. Both originally had the pp.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Not 05-10 GT. They are 11-14 GT stock rotors. Which are 13.2".

Yes the manual w/ performance package has 12.4" rotors. I mean i do have a 3.7 manual and auto. Both originally had the pp.
Ok I have been feed some missinformation. I was told the V6 Perf. Pack came with the OLDER GT rotors and calipers. So it is in fact the 11-14 GT 5.0 rotors and calipers you get on the Perf. Pack Auto....damn...well either way i would love to get me some bigger brakes...My Pads are due for replacement soon (been 4 years on the same pads) I should consider upgrading the rotors and everything while Im at it.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #17
Kevin.Cook

Steel brake lines, 13.2" front rotors, and good pads - will be all the upgrade you need on an n/a 3.7.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Kevin, you had me intrigued with the price difference on the Power Stops ... kit verses singles. I check and there's a $4 difference . Just so you you for next time...
Old 10-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

$4 difference? Who's site are you looking at? Here is the normal V6 11-14 kit they sell broken down to its separate parts. That is like a $60 difference. This is the $400 kit broken down. If you are looking at the Extreme kit which is like $460, I can pull that up. I am willing to bet the savings would be about the same.

And no I did not apply my $20 credit to that. LOL. Just the ME Code.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	192314  
Old 10-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking at the GT kit... as that what I ordered on their advice.
Front pads= $42.99
Rear pads= $37.99
Front rotors= $188.89
Rear Rotors= $125.99

Now I admit, they're the wrong parts... but that's for the GT stuff. You might be right on the V6- didn't look that up. And honestly I don't care, that's not the point of the post.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

AM is now telling me they can't ship the correct parts out until I box and return the incorrect parts that they sent me! Seems I trusted THEM to tell me the correct parts when they asked if I'd like to " ask an expert" , but they don't trust ME to return the incorrect parts. I'd understand if I considered this my fault but I think it's theirs... they should next day the right stuff to me with a RMA prepaid to return the incorrect stuff.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm not going to quote 100 people, so i'll just hopefully answer everything here:

1. The standard PP cars only have a pad upgrade, and 12.4" rotors.
2. To upgrade to larger 13.2" rotors from the Auto PP or GT, all that is needed is the different caliper carriers, the calipers and pads are identical.
3. The base 11-14 v6 and the 05-10 GT use the same 12.4" rotors
4. All 05-10 GTs and 11-14 mustangs use the same 11.8" rear, only the '13-14 GT500 has larger rear rotors.

hopefully thats everything.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #23
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
I'm looking at the GT kit... as that what I ordered on their advice.
Front pads= $42.99
Rear pads= $37.99
Front rotors= $188.89
Rear Rotors= $125.99

Now I admit, they're the wrong parts... but that's for the GT stuff. You might be right on the V6- didn't look that up. And honestly I don't care, that's not the point of the post.
Yes, the GT kit is that. But you were not specific on that part. You have to care, or you wouldn't have spent time looking in to it.

I would stop wasting time contacting the random AM reps and just get ahold of Alex on here. Sadly, it seems he is the only person that can iron things out correctly over there...

Personally, this is saddening for people like me that have made threads on here Pouring our knowledge out to help everyone. Only to see threads like this where we see no one even bothered reading the info or anything. Makes me just not want to post or help anyone out anymore.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Kevin,

I meant I don't care to argue with you about it... I did care that I might have spent an extra $50 bucks getting the kit. You put in a lot of time and effort on here, and basically I felt like an *** two seconds after hitting 'reply "on that particular post.

Your right... I've PM'd Alex and I hope to get it straightened out. I'm not a patient person... so I'll most likely be calling around to get my stock rotors resurfaced first thing tomorrow morning. Put them back on with the new pads and hit the road
Old 10-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #25
Kevin.Cook

I wouldn't waste money on resurfacing unless its free. Just bare with shaky brakes and don't drive crazy for the next week or so. Unless Alex can get you a set overnighted.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I wish... car's up on jack stands all apart. Good news is I got my Tridents on and I like how they sound idling . Can't run the car with no wheels on... so have to wait and get this brake mess sorted before I can really hear them.

Waiting to hear back on that PM to Alex before making a decision on what to do...
Old 10-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #27
Kevin.Cook

Too bad you didnt look at my PowerSport thread. Whole kit is like $223. I have them on my 2011 right now and they work perfect. Rotors look the same as the Powerstop ones.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #28
Kevin.Cook

Even the 5.0 one with the 13.2" fronts are cheaper: http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/271039208653
Old 10-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No. As mentioned in various threads on here, the Manual PP one has 12.4" front rotors and the Auto has 13.2". Heck, I think I Even touched base on this in my PowerSport purchase thread very recently. Oh wait....I did O_o

PowerSport pads and rotors

Gotta read up man...

Not to be mean, but it sounds like you didn't research enough before purchasing. Never take just 1 person's word for it. The regular V6 kit suits a Manual with PP. You only need the GT one if you have an Auto w/ PP.
Hell...You can't blame the OP for relying on AM to give him the appropriate parts. That's their business and they should know better. Not that I would do it. I research the hell out everything before I buy mail order.
Also, you can't expect him to be reading all the posts on the forum like you and I do. LOL
Here's what I do...
Click image for larger version

Name:	My '14 V6 PP Auto rotor dia.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	713.8 KB
ID:	192328
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #30
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Hell...You can't blame the OP for relying on AM to give him the appropriate parts. That's their business and they should know better. Not that I would do it. I research the hell out everything before I buy mail order.

Also, you can't expect him to be reading all the posts on the forum like you and I do. LOL

Here's what I do...

Attachment 192328

Yea i measured the rotors on all of my vehicles. Luckily, some other online stores actually say if the rotors are for the v6 base or pp cars. Like oriellys and such. I dont buy their brakes. But the info is helpful.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #31
Kevin.Cook

I am sorry if i came off too aggressive me konablue. I am only apologizing because I have a Kona Blue also. Lol jk.

Was just initially upset that we do spend time making threads and gathering info but it feels like people dont look.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Yes, the GT kit is that. But you were not specific on that part. You have to care, or you wouldn't have spent time looking in to it.

I would stop wasting time contacting the random AM reps and just get ahold of Alex on here. Sadly, it seems he is the only person that can iron things out correctly over there...

Personally, this is saddening for people like me that have made threads on here Pouring our knowledge out to help everyone. Only to see threads like this where we see no one even bothered reading the info or anything. Makes me just not want to post or help anyone out anymore.
I was one that found this out early when people were buying winter wheels from Roush, they fit fine on my car and not on the Autos, found out from looking at the box size on Fordparts.com since at that time no one knew they were different
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:15 AM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
I was one that found this out early when people were buying winter wheels from Roush, they fit fine on my car and not on the Autos, found out from looking at the box size on Fordparts.com since at that time no one knew they were different
Yes, I learned about this the hard way back in late 2013, when the different rotor size options weren't as well known.

I'm pretty sure my 15" spare tire won't fit on my auto PP's front wheels...I should check at some point...LOL.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Yes, I learned about this the hard way back in late 2013, when the different rotor size options weren't as well known.

I'm pretty sure my 15" spare tire won't fit on my auto PP's front wheels...I should check at some point...LOL.
Did you ever get those wheels sold?
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #35
Kevin.Cook

Quote:

Checked your window sticker. That is probably one of the most expensive V6s I have ever seen. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang