Push button Start? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Push button Start?

Anybody here do the SHR push button start? I installed mine today and I think it's pretty cool. Good price and a couple of hours of time and I think it's a great add on. If you've thought about it, do it, it's worth it.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Looks cool but what's the point if you still have to put the key to acc?
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't you have to ability to wire it so the key isn't needed to be in the ignition for the car to start?
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I wonder if this would work with the remote start.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Yeah I thought this was cool until I realized you still had to pull the key out and stick it in the ignition. There are generic kits out there that use RFID fobs and allow you to get in your car and start it keyless. I'd love to look into that in conjunction with one of these though.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #6
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
According to the directions you can wire it so that you just have to push the button to start it.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
According to the directions you can wire it so that you just have to push the button to start it.

Yea but so can the guy who just smashed your window. I would want the key fob that knows when you are in the car and allows you to start it.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Yea but so can the guy who just smashed your window. I would want the key fob that knows when you are in the car and allows you to start it.
Yea that that would be an easy way to get a car lmao

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah you still need the key. They sell kits so you don't need the key but they are like 700.00. I think for 90.00 it's cool little mod.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
This one is $500, you don't need the key, and it's a kit made for 10-14 mustangs.

Digital Guard Dawg - iKey-M
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Yeah you still need the key. They sell kits so you don't need the key but they are like 700.00. I think for 90.00 it's cool little mod.
So.....you still need grab the key, then take the key out of your pocket, look for, find and put it in the ignition slot, turn it one less click than you used to, take your hand off the key, and THEN press the start button?.............and reverse this process when you park?
Sorry to say, this seems kind of backwards just to have a start button. What's the point here?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
So.....you still need grab the key, then take the key out of your pocket, look for, find and put it in the ignition slot, turn it one less click than you used to, take your hand off the key, and THEN press the start button?.............and reverse this process when you park?

Sorry to say, this seems kind of backwards just to have a start button. What's the point here?

Because...

Race
Inspired
Cosmetic
Enhancement
😎

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
This was a good mod back for my 49 Chevy. To go from floor mounted start button to dash mounted button.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Wait a second...I have to see all these stupid threads about Plasti-crap and how cool it looks and a push button start is Rice? Hhhhmmm, not sure about this. It was 90.00 and kind of a cool thing. It's definitely an attention getter. You all just carry on with the Plasti-dipping though....
Old 10-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I don't think its rice at all personally, I almost ordered one a couple of years ago.
I just thought its kinda pointless seeing how I still had to use the key. I like the idea of it but its executed terribly.
No key for functionality very nice,
Requires key to start, not for me.

Btw I don't see where anyone called it rice? Pointless yes, but not rice.😀

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Don't think its rice but not sure the real advantage and point of it. Plasti dip has a purpose. It changes the apperence of the object. Its purpose is for a cosmetic look. The push start is not rice but what is its purpose if you still need to put the key in.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

What FastFord13 said ^^ You dont see OEM's using keys with push bottom starts, so neither will my car when I get around to installing the one I linked. The convenience, plus not having additional keys resting on top of my right knee = win
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
What FastFord13 said ^^ You dont see OEM's using keys with push bottom starts, so neither will my car when I get around to installing the one I linked. The convenience, plus not having additional keys resting on top of my right knee = win
Cool deal. Are we talking about the push button start where the key can be left in ones pocket?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This one is $500, you don't need the key, and it's a kit made for 10-14 mustangs.

Digital Guard Dawg - iKey-M
I like this! If I was going to do it I'd spend the extra and do it right. Thats just me though.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Cool deal. Are we talking about the push button start where the key can be left in ones pocket?

Yep. All cars with push button start ignitions have a proximity key-fob that looks like it's only a keyless entry remote. It's basically a pocket sized transmitter that tells the car when you're close or inside, so you can unlock the doors with a push of a button/touch sensor on the outside door handle, step inside, press and hold brake pedal then push the ignition button, and the engine comes to life.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep. All cars with push button start ignitions have a proximity key-fob that looks like it's only a keyless entry remote. It's basically a pocket sized transmitter that tells the car when you're close or inside, so you can unlock the doors with a push of a button/touch sensor on the outside door handle, step inside, press and hold brake pedal then push the ignition button, and the engine comes to life.
+1, My brothers Journey RT has that exactly.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #22
Supporter

Region: Texas
I like my Viper Remote start (4806V)... $480ish installed. Will be upgrading to a full security system next year.

I could see the push button on a resto mod though, even then I'd do remote start.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My take home work Dodge Charger has it. Now that's nice. I just leave the key in my pocket. That's cool.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #24
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
My take home work Dodge Charger has it. Now that's nice. I just leave the key in my pocket. That's cool.

Non and non fed. I $uck!
1 of our other cars has it, it is 100% useful. Only works when your within 2 feet of the car. It's a German though...
Old 10-26-2015, 02:00 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

My daughters 13 Nissan Sentra has push button start from the factory, she loves it. She gets near car and it unlocks, gets in, foot on brake, push start button and your off. I just can't see doing it when you have to use the key as well. Don't think it's rice, just pointless. Does look cool though.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Only $500,00 and looks like it is about perfect

Check it out:

Will someone send me $500.00 so I can test this out for everybody??????????
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

If I wasn't already set on getting a quad tip exhaust setup soon, I'd already be in the process of ordering that iKey Mustang kit.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

That's pretty cool.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Check it out:

Will someone send me $500.00 so I can test this out for everybody??????????
Ronnie
This is awesome!!! I want one

Old 10-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

According to their website it's normally $699 but right now it's on sale for $349. Somebody get on it!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Whoops, looked at the wrong one on their website. The one for the 2010-14 mustangs is $459.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #32
Kevin.Cook

Well I mainly drive my manual Stang, so remote start wouldn't do me any good. Unless I lay a brick or something on the clutch. LOL

But if I did go with a remote start kit, it would be one that I didn't have to put the key in the ignition. It would defeat the purpose. As others have said.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Well I mainly drive my manual Stang, so remote start wouldn't do me any good. Unless I lay a brick or something on the clutch. LOL

But if I did go with a remote start kit, it would be one that I didn't have to put the key in the ignition. It would defeat the purpose. As others have said.

I got remote start installed on my girlfriends 05 mustang which is manual. You bypass the clutch requirement when wiring it and leave the car in neutral. It's great for cold or hot days and works from half a mile away.

Inserting the key is just an added safety purpose. Touch the brake or anything without the key in, the car shuts off.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #34
Supporter

Push button Start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post

I have a manual transmission Mustang... I had a shop do it for me. It won't start if the parking brake isn't active. It will attempt to start and it will LURCH a few feet if the parking brake and engaged in gear.... I don't have a strong habit of leaving my car in gear.
I called about 6 shops in the Southeast Houston area, only one would do it. It's a hefty liability. I have a safety switch that disables the remote start if someone else will be driving the car. Dealership or tire shop doesn't need to know its there and I usually take my remote start clicker off the key ring if I don't have the keys.
I see the danger, then do it.

EDIT: if it's a good shop they should be able to add a magnetic switch to the shifter...
Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Cool video. I like.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang