Cheap and easy performance gain - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Well if I am doing that wrong, am I not supposed to spray soap and water into the engine through the spark plug holes to keep it clean?
soap and water? are you new here?
you need to use dishwasher detergent. the soap will foam too much and hydrolock your engine. dish detergent have properties of 10w30 oil, so its safe, which is why it works as a good engine desludger.

my god i hope nobody stumbles here on a google search and takes this advice....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #37
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
soap and water? are you new here?
you need to use dishwasher detergent. the soap will foam too much and hydrolock your engine. dish detergent have properties of 10w30 oil, so its safe, which is why it works as a good engine desludger.

my god i hope nobody stumbles here on a google search and takes this advice....

Same.. But I find this useful info. I just dumped a bottle of vinegar in my gas tank. I was told this is good for the sensors in the entire system.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

just dont leave any cucumbers in your gas tank. unless you like pickles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #39
Kevin.Cook

I have an apple in mine. I was told it makes a good floaty and helps regulate the gas needle.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP, Thank you for the information. It was very informative and good too know. As soon as I notice a real loss in power and performance I will look to to this as you have done.

At 52k miles, my pony runs better now as it did the first day I had her. Lol! I do know around 60k miles I will be getting a transmission flush but that's it. 👍

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #41
Kevin.Cook

Well like someone else said, it is gradual and slow. So it could have lost a pony or two and you would not notice because it is a slow transition. I bet if you took a plug out, it would look like poo.

I think if anyone has any doubts, this is something that can be done fairly easily. As the driver side spark plugs can be accessed very easily.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Well like someone else said, it is gradual and slow. So it could have lost a pony or two and you would not notice because it is a slow transition. I bet if you took a plug out, it would look like poo.

I think if anyone has any doubts, this is something that can be done fairly easily. As the driver side spark plugs can be accessed very easily.
Good point sir. The other 3 are under the manifold. Little more challenging to get too. Lol

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #43
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Good point sir. The other 3 are under the manifold. Little more challenging to get too. Lol

Yup. Which is why I wouldn't suggest pulling one of those out if all you want to do is check one. Now if you DO need to change them, then it can't be helped.

Being my 2nd time doing a spark plug change on a Cyclone, it was frustrating at first. But last night I kind of just flowed through the motions.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Let us know if you notice a mileage increase as well.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 10-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Think the royal purple fuel cleaner helped?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #46
Kevin.Cook

Not too sure. I don't have one of those little cameras to poke into the Spark Plug hole to check.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

For me, SeaFoam works the best in my two trucks & a boat (4 cyl Evinrude). Will use in my 3.7 when it gets enough miles to get dirty.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
So whats involved with removing the manifold to get to the other 3 plugs?
(why did they have to make it shaped so weird)
Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #49
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
So whats involved with removing the manifold to get to the other 3 plugs?
(why did they have to make it shaped so weird)
To be honest, on alot of vehicles the intake manifold sits over some or all of the plugs. My 3000GT was like this.

To take the manifold off....

How to Change the Spark Plugs on your 3.7L Mustang | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
Old 10-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To be honest, on alot of vehicles the intake manifold sits over some or all of the plugs. My 3000GT was like this.

To take the manifold off....

How to Change the Spark Plugs on your 3.7L Mustang | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
Oh wow, ok. Thanks for the post up. I had a 4 banger Hyundai before this that i worked on a lot. Now that i think about it. My Tiburon GT was the same way except it was placed sideways and the IM was set over the rear set of cyl. the exhaust was even harder to work on caus you had on header in front and the other was in the rear under everything.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #51
Kevin.Cook

Yea. Some cars are stupid hard to work on. To get to the belts on the engine, you had to lift it on the 3000GT. Cuz they were on the side of the engine, up against the engine bay wall. You could barely squeeze a hand in there. Let alone a hand and a tool to loosen the tensioner.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea. Some cars are stupid hard to work on. To get to the belts on the engine, you had to lift it on the 3000GT. Cuz they were on the side of the engine, up against the engine bay wall. You could barely squeeze a hand in there. Let alone a hand and a tool to loosen the tensioner.
UGH! What a *****!
Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #53
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
This post inspired me to change my air filter. Might tackle the spark plugs this weekend.

The bug was in there, too...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1446084744.505148.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	193020

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The link below gives a better discription of the entire process, including removing the manifold. Much better than the youtube video above

Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
So today marks my 2014 3.7s 20,000 miles. The car has been raced and extremely long commutes. It had also had many revised tunes.

After all if this, the car has noticeable became sluggish.

So I spent some money and bought all new Motorcraft spark plugs, tb gasket, upper intake manifold gasket, carb cleaner, and anti seize grease.

As you can see in the pics, 20k miles has really done a number on the plugs. The gaps ranged from .55 to .6. Oem spec being the highest at .53

So i cleaned the tb, upper and lower intake mani, changed spark plugs, and replaced gaskets.

I also used Royal Purple fuel system cleaner a tank ago.

Took the car for a drive. And wow. Feels brand new again. The throttle response is soo good it is almost scary. And it idles extremely smooth.

Ford says to wait something like 50-70k miles before doing plugs. I can only offer my opinion and say it is definitely worth doing them earlier. That is, if you want tip top performance from your ride.

Stop wasting money on Cold Air Intakes and do a tune up!!!

Attachment 192916Attachment 192917

Where did you purchase your mani and TB gaskets from?

Marc
Marc3.71994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
The link below gives a better discription of the entire process, including removing the manifold. Much better than the youtube video above

The li k didn't work for me for some reason it just got an error screen
Old 10-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
The li k didn't work for me for some reason it just got an error screen
Go to A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs and in the search type in "How to Change the Spark Plugs on your 3.7L Mustang"

I just tried this option and in worked perfectly. Hope this helps
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #58
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc3.71994 View Post
Where did you purchase your mani and TB gaskets from?

Marc
From my local Ford Dealership's parts dept.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
This post inspired me to change my air filter. Might tackle the spark plugs this weekend.

The bug was in there, too...

Attachment 193020

Sent from my #racecar
Wow! That filter looks like hell.
You should see an improvement after replacing that one.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #60
Kevin.Cook

I have grown tired of the K&N oiled filter for my 2011 and ordered the aFe dry filter.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #61
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I MAY be paying someone to change the serp belt on my Loves CRV....I can see a bit of it but have no clue how it's possible.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh wow, ok. Thanks for the post up. I had a 4 banger Hyundai before this that i worked on a lot. Now that i think about it. My Tiburon GT was the same way except it was placed sideways and the IM was set over the rear set of cyl. the exhaust was even harder to work on caus you had on header in front and the other was in the rear under everything.
i had a 4banger hyundai before, it was quite easy to work on. but when you throw a V engine in there and flip it sideways it can suck. Pretty standard with the front wheel drive V6 and V8's.

Quote:
gotta love when they conveniently place a manifold right over something that you need to change much sooner than a manifold gasket.

a bmw 325i from 2006 was annoying as well. ton of plastic to remove to get to the last 2 or 3 cylinders. some just a plastic cover, then a big wire harness, then the cabin air filter which stretches across the engine bay. then the giant plastic motor cover. then you get to see just how leaky that engine is at 60k miles. lol.

and someone asked about mpg increase from changing spark plugs, I believe if its a noticeable improvement, then you Should see a restoration in your gas mileage.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #63
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
i had a 4banger hyundai before, it was quite easy to work on. but when you throw a V engine in there and flip it sideways it can suck. Pretty standard with the front wheel drive V6 and V8's.

gotta love when they conveniently place a manifold right over something that you need to change much sooner than a manifold gasket.

a bmw 325i from 2006 was annoying as well. ton of plastic to remove to get to the last 2 or 3 cylinders. some just a plastic cover, then a big wire harness, then the cabin air filter which stretches across the engine bay. then the giant plastic motor cover. then you get to see just how leaky that engine is at 60k miles. lol.

and someone asked about mpg increase from changing spark plugs, I believe if its a noticeable improvement, then you Should see a restoration in your gas mileage.
Not so much change on the gas mileage. As the car is more enjoyable now...well....
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #64
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Those theta engines were a ***** to work on from what I've heard.

I'm also a Hyundai alumni. Were you on any of the forums? I had an 2001 Elantra and a 2012 Accent. Your name looks familiar.
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not so much change on the gas mileage. As the car is more enjoyable now...well....
if its more enjoyable, then you may be experiencing a sudden decrease in gas mileage, but you will get places much faster.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #66
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
if its more enjoyable, then you may be experiencing a sudden decrease in gas mileage, but you will get places much faster.
YES! I have noticed a drop in minutes it takes to get places.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Go to A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs and in the search type in "How to Change the Spark Plugs on your 3.7L Mustang"

I just tried this option and in worked perfectly. Hope this helps
Oh i have that site bookmarked. Ive been using it since 2012 when i got my car, great info. its also where i found out about the mega Air Spacer that I bought...sadly havnt been able to use it with my Tunes because it throws a CEl code while the ECU is relearning...but thats on another thread...
Old 10-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #68
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Wow! That filter looks like hell.

You should see an improvement after replacing that one.

Yeah, I was holding off to get the Airraid tube and AFE drop in, but tires were coming up on needing replacing and I decided I might as well go ahead and get new wheels, too. So those will finally be on next week. AM order shipped today! And as far as I know I'll be the first with these, something more unique than AMR everyone seems to have.

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #69
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Yeah, I was holding off to get the Airraid tube and AFE drop in, but tires were coming up on needing replacing and I decided I might as well go ahead and get new wheels, too. So those will finally be on next week. AM order shipped today! And as far as I know I'll be the first with these, something more unique than AMR everyone seems to have.

Sent from my #racecar
I will be dropping the K&N Drop in filter next week so if you want that....
Old 10-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I MAY be paying someone to change the serp belt on my Loves CRV....I can see a bit of it but have no clue how it's possible.
Is this video applicable to your CRV? Seems to be a pretty good video.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang