Cheap and easy performance gain - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Cheap and easy performance gain

So today marks my 2014 3.7s 20,000 miles. The car has been raced and extremely long commutes. It had also had many revised tunes.

After all if this, the car has noticeable became sluggish.

So I spent some money and bought all new Motorcraft spark plugs, tb gasket, upper intake manifold gasket, carb cleaner, and anti seize grease.

As you can see in the pics, 20k miles has really done a number on the plugs. The gaps ranged from .55 to .6. Oem spec being the highest at .53

So i cleaned the tb, upper and lower intake mani, changed spark plugs, and replaced gaskets.

I also used Royal Purple fuel system cleaner a tank ago.

Took the car for a drive. And wow. Feels brand new again. The throttle response is soo good it is almost scary. And it idles extremely smooth.

Ford says to wait something like 50-70k miles before doing plugs. I can only offer my opinion and say it is definitely worth doing them earlier. That is, if you want tip top performance from your ride.

Stop wasting money on Cold Air Intakes and do a tune up!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1445905935.540925.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	192916Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1445905956.965988.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	192917
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
changing the spark plugs on my 5.0 made such a big difference you could hear it in the exhaust at idle, It just sounded like it was hitting harder. Definitely worth the time to put a quality plug in the car.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

I might go back and redo the 2011s sparkplugs eventually. On a lightly modded n/a car, i feel the oem Motorcraft ones are better then the NGK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Any issues getting the old plugs out? I thought I read about them getting stuck and sometimes breaking on removal, but didn't know if that applied to the 3.7.

I have nearly 59k miles on mine, so plugs might be worth doing soon.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

No issues. They put up a small fight at first and then break free. Just don't over tighten anything.

You can knock out so much maintenance when doing spark plugs. Cleaning maf, tb, intake manis, and replacing gaskets.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Just curious as to your thoughts, but wouldn't a good cleaning and regapping of those plugs serve the same purpose?
They don't look that bad at all.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

If i am gonna go through the time of taking it all apart, i am gonna put new stuff in and not worry about it. Spark plugs dont break the bank. At least not for me.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Supporter

Region: Texas
Plugs are on my list. I was driving today and was thinking that the car felt slower to me. It was a bit colder outside (65-70ish) but that shouldn't hurt performance.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
If i am gonna go through the time of taking it all apart, i am gonna put new stuff in and not worry about it. Spark plugs dont break the bank. At least not for me.

This.

They're cheap enough that if you're going to take them out you should just replace them.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Wow. Pretty beat up for 20k. I will definitely be doing this when I pull her out of storage in the spring.

Did you purchase new OEM plugs? same part number?

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:07 AM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Yup. New motorcraft plugs
Old 10-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
idk but isn't 100K what Ford sez?

Clean/Re-gap? I'm cheap & old but even I wouldn't bother.

I wanted to add a line about truck stop Lot lizards but didn't.................
Old 10-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I just looked at the pics....they look fine to me. (not a professional)
Old 10-27-2015, 05:33 AM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Yea they recommend some crazy high mileage. But the previous owner left the original plugs in the 2011. And it ran like crap.

So i would definitely recommend not waiting that long.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Thanks Kevin, Can always count on you for helpful, valuable information..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm at almost 30k, I'll be doing this in the spring also. Thumbs kevin.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Are the plugs pre-gapped or did you set the gap?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 10-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
So today marks my 2014 3.7s 20,000 miles. The car has been raced and extremely long commutes. It had also had many revised tunes.

So I spent some money and bought all new Motorcraft spark plugs, tb gasket, upper intake manifold gasket, carb cleaner, and anti seize grease.

As you can see in the pics, 20k miles has really done a number on the plugs. The gaps ranged from .55 to .6. Oem spec being the highest at .53

So i cleaned the tb, upper and lower intake mani, changed spark plugs, and replaced gaskets.

Took the car for a drive. And wow. Feels brand new again. The throttle response is soo good it is almost scary. And it idles extremely smooth.

Ford says to wait something like 50-70k miles before doing plugs. I can only offer my opinion and say it is definitely worth doing them earlier. That is, if you want tip top performance from your ride.

Attachment 192916Attachment 192917
According to Fords maintenance, its 100,000 miles for spark plug change. I have 52k miles on my pony and it runs fantastic. No lack in performance that I can tell. Of course I don't track race so that may be the huge difference.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Any issues getting the old plugs out? I thought I read about them getting stuck and sometimes breaking on removal, but didn't know if that applied to the 3.7.

I have nearly 59k miles on mine, so plugs might be worth doing soon.
Last i heard, it was the 3 valve 4.6's that had the stupid plug design that breaks. I dont believe the newer models have that issue, but don't quote me on that. make sure you apply antisieze on your new plug threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Just curious as to your thoughts, but wouldn't a good cleaning and regapping of those plugs serve the same purpose?
They don't look that bad at all.
if these are irridiums, they should not have any gap erosion at 20k miles, so this should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Plugs are on my list. I was driving today and was thinking that the car felt slower to me. It was a bit colder outside (65-70ish) but that shouldn't hurt performance.
oddly enough, my 2002 feels more powerful when its cold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
idk but isn't 100K what Ford sez?

Clean/Re-gap? I'm cheap & old but even I wouldn't bother.
100k is usually the reccomended length for irridium plugs. Im too antsy to wait that long myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
they should come pre gapped as long as you buy the part number for your vehicle. at least the oem ones should be. worst case, they will all have the same pre set gap, but might be slightly off of the .040 mark. I usually dont try to regap mine.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Attachment 192916Attachment 192917
looking at the pictures, they look like normal wear. the only thing i would say about it looking like that and performing the way it did, was maybe the racing, but maybe the fuel and/or additives used. I know that when i used to use too much lucas fuel cleaner and ran other additives in it, it fouled out my plugs faster.

also these are platinums, so really 30k is the reccomended interval. I am the type to do it early for performance though.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Definitely. I over stress on my car maintenance also.

All of the plugs I got were gapped between .5 and .53. Which is the recommended gap from Ford. I did check all 6 to be safe.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Definitely. I over stress on my car maintenance also.

All of the plugs I got were gapped between .5 and .53. Which is the recommended gap from Ford. I did check all 6 to be safe.
Good info. Thanks!

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 10-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6

ALWAYS check to make sure the gap is correct. Plugs come gapped, but I can't tell you how many times I've checked them and they've been off. Better safe than sorry.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
ALWAYS check to make sure the gap is correct. Plugs come gapped, but I can't tell you how many times I've checked them and they've been off. Better safe than sorry.
I agree, but isn't the electrode fragile on platinum plugs? I've always owned older Mustangs and have never had to use platinum. Just don't wanna mess up the electrode.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 10-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree, but isn't the electrode fragile on platinum plugs? I've always owned older Mustangs and have never had to use platinum. Just don't wanna mess up the electrode.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Yes, the center electrode is fragile on all plugs. But, the ground electrode (hook) is the one that you use to properly gap to specs. So the ground is meant to be played with.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #26
Kevin.Cook

I had my wife take the car for a drive today and she confirmed is drove MUCH better now. Glad it wasn't just me or I'd assume I was crazy.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's always true. If momma ain't happy nobody is happy..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

never underestimate a good tune up and cleanup.

the thing is, over time, slowly, as everything gets dirty, it loses power. you dont notice because its a slow gradual process. then in a single day, its all cleaned up, changed out and reversed. then a power recovery will almost feel like an actual power gain.

a few years ago, i changed 30k spark plugs in a hyundai (apples and oranges, i know) and suddenly it didnt feel like it was going to explode on the highway anymore.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #29
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
never underestimate a good tune up and cleanup.

the thing is, over time, slowly, as everything gets dirty, it loses power. you dont notice because its a slow gradual process. then in a single day, its all cleaned up, changed out and reversed. then a power recovery will almost feel like an actual power gain.

a few years ago, i changed 30k spark plugs in a hyundai (apples and oranges, i know) and suddenly it didnt feel like it was going to explode on the highway anymore.
That is scary! lol

Yea I like doing this maintenance piece myself because I can take full advantage of cleaning out the intake manifolds and such.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Yes, the center electrode is fragile on all plugs. But, the ground electrode (hook) is the one that you use to properly gap to specs. So the ground is meant to be played with.

Yes, I know that. I'm referring to damaging the center electrode when setting the gap. Seen it way too many times.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #31
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Yes, I know that. I'm referring to damaging the center electrode when setting the gap. Seen it way too many times.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Doing the plugs is so easy I should offer it as a service locally. LOL. Places like Midas want $200+ for just labor. And they won't clean your manifolds and stuff like I do.

I should offer it for....say $100 for labor?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
probably from taking those spark plug gap coins, and shoving it into the gap to force the gap where they want it, as opposed to using the little hole on top to do it without touching the electrode.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #33
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
probably from taking those spark plug gap coins, and shoving it into the gap to force the gap where they want it, as opposed to using the little hole on top to do it without touching the electrode.
That is how it is done?! I was using a sledge hammer!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is how it is done?! I was using a sledge hammer!
me too until i destroyed one.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #35
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
me too until i destroyed one.
Well if I am doing that wrong, am I not supposed to spray soap and water into the engine through the spark plug holes to keep it clean?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang