Vibration with gears and one piece driveshaft - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Vibration with gears and one piece driveshaft

Hey guys,

Just trying to get some ideas as to why this is happening. 2011 mustang v6. I had the one piece driveshaft before and everything was fine. Car had stock gears so we put 3.73s. Now the car vibrates when you let go the gas at speeds over 65mph. The vibration increases if you go faster. It doesn't vibrate when you accelerate or are holding the gas cruising at high speeds, it only does it when no gas I given to the car. This only started after the gears were changed. They gears are done correctly because there is no whine or grind. This car has every bolt on for a v6 so it's quite powerful. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if they removed your DS to put in gears did they put it back in the same position?

I would NOT exclude the gears being the culprit.....
Old 10-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Also confirm pinion angle. This is very important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
pinion Angle is off and if you drive too long on it will really mess up your seals bearrings and gears. Been there... Had to replace myself same reason
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, they removed on side of the drive shaft to put the gears. Not sure if it was put in the same position but I did rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees and that didn't help.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Yea it wont in this case. There are tools you can get to check the pinion angle yourself, but its best to just take it back to them and tell them whats up. I would.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
pinion Angle is off and if you drive too long on it will really mess up your seals bearrings and gears. Been there... Had to replace myself same reason

The car has stock suspension and it doesn't have an adjustable UCA. How would I adjust the pinion angle? Will I need to purchase and adjustable UCA?

Old 10-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Try rotating the shaft another 90 degrees. If you are at stock ride height, I wouldn't expect the pinion angle to be off unless something weird is happening.

Could also be something amiss with the gear set.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sounds to me like the infamous dual mass flywheel. It happens ONLY when i let of the gas between 3000 and 2600 rpm. I have the stock DS.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

To be honest, vibration is such a hard thing to offer advice on over the computer. Soo many things can cause it. It is best to take it back in.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Sounds to me like the infamous dual mass flywheel. It happens ONLY when i let of the gas between 3000 and 2600 rpm. I have the stock DS.

Good thought...didn't catch if OP had manual or automatic.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Good thought...didn't catch if OP had manual or automatic.
Yeah I didn't know what he has, just threw it out there. If its a manual its a good chance its just the dual mass. The probable reason that he didn't feel it before is because at 65 he's around 2500 with 3.73s as with 2.73s he was much lower and it wouldn't happen.
If he's auto I agree take it back and have it looked at.

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

+1 my guess is this as well. Notice I say guess because it is extremely hard to diagnose vibration issues without actually feeling it.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:24 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

from what OP has done "every bolt on" and that he already indexed the DS he knows the dual mass flywheel vibration.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Also he said he had the ds before gears with no problem, so pinion angle shouldn't be an issue all of the sudden. It's possible clocking it another 90 might help or maybe something is off in the rear end.

I'd take it back to who did the gears for an opinion since it didn't do it prior.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Another vote for the dual mass flywheel causing it. It'll vibrate in any gear with the rpm's in the 2500-3000 range. With 3.73 gears, you're pretty well up their for it to vibrate when going 65 or faster in 6th gear.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #17
Kevin.Cook

I think as the clutch and flywheel wear more that dual mass vibration gets way worse. On my 2011 with 105k miles, i get it alot. On my other 2011 i had, it wasnt near as bad or often.

Sucks a new clutch, flywheel, and labor is soo much.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

I remember someone having V issues that they traced to excess locktite getting into the DS flange.

or they dropped his DS.....
Old 10-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

I will mention again the DM fly is one of the worse things about my car

V6 is other..............................
Old 10-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
what exactly is dual mass flywheel and is it on the gt
rickb9ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #21
CAP

Region: New York
My 373 gears whine bad at starts at 40mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I will mention again the DM fly is one of the worse things about my car

V6 is other..............................
Did u try to rotate the driveshalf 180 degrees? Anyone have any ideas about the whine?
CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Yes I agree. So many different things could cause vibration. Just take to the shop and have it looked over
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb9ol View Post
what exactly is dual mass flywheel and is it on the gt
it is a 2 part flywheel with the parts attached by springs. In theory it rdeuces vibration from the inherent unbalance of a V6 engine....in the real world once you get engine rpms over 3500 rpm when you lower rpms to around 2500 it starts some type of nasty vibration. In my car I swapped out motor mounts to tighten up engine movement (shifting improvement) which makes the vibration feel like mild rumble strips. It will persist from 2500-2300 approx rpms this happens in any gear.

Nope V6 only
Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I found an interesting animation of how a DMF works. It seems it would be quite effective and I suppose that without it you would have that vibration at all speeds instead of a 2 to 300 rpm range. Still must be annoying I'm sure. Autos like I have don't have the DMF because of the Torque converters vibration damping.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
^^ I would like for someone with an aftermarket flywheel to chime in on this. When my car needs a new clutch, I was going to go with a good stage 1 clutch with an aluminum flywheel.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It seems likely that a single piece flywheel would have more vibration at all speeds than the dual mass version. I can't see why Ford would use what they did otherwise.
Just about every Diesel car has a DMF because of the greater inherent vibrations of the diesel engine so the Cyclone must have similar characteristics. I think that 60 degree V6's are not that naturally smooth running.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
I found an interesting animation of how a DMF works. It seems it would be quite effective and I suppose that without it you would have that vibration at all speeds instead of a 2 to 300 rpm range. Still must be annoying I'm sure. Autos like I have don't have the DMF because of the Torque converters vibration damping.
Very helpful! Thanks!
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #28
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
It seems likely that a single piece flywheel would have more vibration at all speeds than the dual mass version. I can't see why Ford would use what they did otherwise.
Just about every Diesel car has a DMF because of the greater inherent vibrations of the diesel engine so the Cyclone must have similar characteristics. I think that 60 degree V6's are not that naturally smooth running.

idk but THINK it reduces vibration some most of the time but when it starts...ye-haw. I find it annoying as it won't stop unless you change rpms sometimes ya just want to cruise at it will force you to change.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Hey I had an aluminum driveshaft that i purchased from American muscle...when I hit 127 mph it exploded..it even broke my tranny where its connected from the driveshaft...i also have 4.10 gears installed..I'd post a pic but idk how to do it through here..
jase33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase33 View Post
Hey I had an aluminum driveshaft that i purchased from American muscle...when I hit 127 mph it exploded..it even broke my tranny where its connected from the driveshaft...i also have 4.10 gears installed..I'd post a pic but idk how to do it through here..
Who was the manufacturer of the driveshaft?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #31
Road Trip!

It was the driveshaft shop...i bought it on American muscle for 7 sum...not even 3 months installed and it gave out....i wouldn't recommend it to anybody....
jase33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase33 View Post
It was the driveshaft shop...i bought it on American muscle for 7 sum...not even 3 months installed and it gave out....i wouldn't recommend it to anybody....
Are you checking into the warranty on them. I think it's one year.
I was looking at them and they say they're high speed balanced at 9500 RPM.
With your 4.10 gears you may have exceeded that RPM.
I didn't bother figuring it out, but I'd bet you did.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #33
Kevin.Cook

I have the same driveshaft on my 2014 Auto with headers, tune, intake, 3.73s, etc. I have been to SA Raceway multiple times and the driveshaft is fine. Went as high as 105 MPH.

Having that gear ratio or higher though might be a "At your own risk" type of thing. Especially if you are hitting over 120 mph with 4.10s. Hopefully you didnt hit that speed on a Public road. :/ Because I barely got over 100 in the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I did my clutch (spec) and flywheel (also spec) at like 10,000 miles because I had a bad vibration. Also did clutch line and throwout too while I was at it and from Ford my clutch always felt bad. In any case the throwout was leaking slightly.

The DMF is a nightmare as stated. I have an aluminum driveshaft, 373 gears as well and the new aluminum flywheel stopped all vibration I was getting. Highly recommend it. Also have a Barton short throw and the whiteline trans mount too. The trans mount added vibration and noise from the trans which makes it sound like a coffee bean grinder but did improve shifting so I am happy with it from that aspect.

My guess for the OP issue is either DMF or something is a miss with the gears. Do the gears whine or howl? If so, is it on decal or accel or both?
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang