RTR deck lid - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
RTR deck lid

I know a few people have had these put on recently. I was thinking about ordering one this weekend but was wondering what the install was like. I have looked on AM's website but haven't seen any install instructions. I know a few people have put this on recently and I was curious what all is needed for this install. I know it is hit and miss on being instock at AM but I would just order now and when I get it I get it.

RTR Mustang Decklid Panel 11100-UA (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

I apologize if this was brought up in an earlier thread but I didn't see it. Thanks everyone!!!
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I have the mteal and I think they have changed up now. I did have issues but RTR and AM have always both been the best CS I have ever seen. I wouldnt worry. if ever an issue they take care of everything
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I've heard they changed it up for the better. Plus I'm with you on AM, any issues I've had they have fixed, plus some! I really try to only deal with them for all my mustang needs!

You do the install and what's all involved? *assuming the old version is a similar process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
There are at least 3 threads that answer your question bud
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'll go searching more when I get some extra time. Just thought I could get a quicker answer this way. Thanks for letting me know it's on here somewhere. I'll do more searching later.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
I'll go searching more when I get some extra time. Just thought I could get a quicker answer this way. Thanks for letting me know it's on here somewhere. I'll do more searching later.

I know several people have done pretty time consuming write ups on the install (including me).
Old 10-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ya, check write ups. does involve (believe still does) need cutting up the truck area. I had a body shop do and seal exposed edges as they were painting the decklid anyway
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just to offer a little personal input, I installed this last weekend and while I do not have an air saw or dremel, I do have drill, so I figured drilling with a hole saw would be the easiest way to remove the bump. Drilling was relatively quick (albeit a bit scary), but left a perfect circle. That being said, the instructions say use a 5" hole saw, however it seemed like this was just a tad too small as I ended up having to file the edges down a bit to make sure the decklid adhered correctly. I feel like a 5-1/4" saw may have been perfect, though I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else has had a similar experience on another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I know several people have done pretty time consuming write ups on the install (including me).
Any tips on what phrase to search for? When I search "RTR Decklid Installation" there are 491 results.

You, yourself have almost 3k posts... so while you may have created a fantastic write up it's difficult to find.

An no, I'm not being a smartass, I really want to read it.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
Any tips on what phrase to search for? When I search "RTR Decklid Installation" there are 491 results.

You, yourself have almost 3k posts... so while you may have created a fantastic write up it's difficult to find.

An no, I'm not being a smartass, I really want to read it.

👍
Old 11-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Look in the thread "am I seeing things" post 78

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1446529692.060682.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	193203
Old 11-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Look in the thread "am I seeing things" post 78

Attachment 193203
Found it, thanks.

The direct link is: Am I Seeing Things?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Great write up! Thanks for the link. This might be a bit to much for me to try to tackle. I wonder how much someone should charge to do this for me.....or if anyone near me has the tools and skill and wants to help me with this project!!!! Lol
Old 11-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #15
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
Just to offer a little personal input, I installed this last weekend and while I do not have an air saw or dremel, I do have drill, so I figured drilling with a hole saw would be the easiest way to remove the bump. Drilling was relatively quick (albeit a bit scary), but left a perfect circle. That being said, the instructions say use a 5" hole saw, however it seemed like this was just a tad too small as I ended up having to file the edges down a bit to make sure the decklid adhered correctly. I feel like a 5-1/4" saw may have been perfect, though I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else has had a similar experience on another thread.
Pretzel - I'm happy to hear that you were able to get it on and found some solid info on this.

Quote:
Great write up! Thanks for the link. This might be a bit to much for me to try to tackle. I wonder how much someone should charge to do this for me.....or if anyone near me has the tools and skill and wants to help me with this project!!!! Lol
Rich - I think you could definitely get it on the car in a couple hours with an extra set of hands, laptop and wireless.

I'm just throwing this out there since there's plenty of guys in here that have installed them!

Click Above

Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Pretzel - I'm happy to hear that you were able to get it on and found some solid info on this.

Rich - I think you could definitely get it on the car in a couple hours with an extra set of hands, laptop and wireless.

I'm just throwing this out there since there's plenty of guys in here that have installed them!

[/CENTER]
This item must come with some form of installation instructions. Why not make those available? The only thing I can see against it would be scaring some people away when they find out that cutting is involved.
I wouldn't think the relatively simple installation warrants much more than the accompanying instructions.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
This item must come with some form of installation instructions. Why not make those available? The only thing I can see against it would be scaring some people away when they find out that cutting is involved.
I wouldn't think the relatively simple installation warrants much more than the accompanying instructions.
It's just a fun program to get the community involved, while rewarding them. Also, it clearly states in the description that permanent modification is required so I don't think the instructions not being available is to prevent people from being scared away.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

RTR deck lid

With all this fun talk, who wants to come down to sunny southwest Florida and "help" me with this fun install! Lol☀️
Old 11-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
With all this fun talk, who wants to come down to sunny southwest Florida and "help" me with this fun install! Lol☀️
I'd be happy to come help out if you were a bit closer

I know it seems like everyone says this, but if I can do it so can you. My install was far from perfect...despite being extra careful, I snapped one of the (upper) tabs holding the stock decklid on my car, and like I mentioned before, I ended up having to widen the initial hole I drilled. The good news is, that if you mess up, no one is going to notice, because it will be covered by your new decklid panel...
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1447102549.621495.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	193423i personally love it, gives it a way different look than most other stangs on the road

Sent from my iPhone using, my iPhone
MikeMcDema05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
It's just a fun program to get the community involved, while rewarding them. Also, it clearly states in the description that permanent modification is required so I don't think the instructions not being available is to prevent people from being scared away.
That's correct sir, thanks for the assist here.

Just to make sure...Rich, you did receive instructions with this correct?

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So why isn't a copy of the packaged instructions available online, for information and/or any other reasons?
I see copies of the instructions for the previous RTR decklid panel are kicking around. Are they no longer applicable?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
So why isn't a copy of the packaged instructions available online, for information and/or any other reasons?

I see copies of the instructions for the previous RTR decklid panel are kicking around. Are they no longer applicable?

I got the instructions for the metal panel with my plastic one. They hadn't updated it at that point at least. It gets you through but has extra steps like the black vinyl edging that is no longer supplied or needed.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I just installed mine today. The most time consuming part is removing the hump...and stock panel. Those clips on the stock panel were a bit of a pain. I had one clip that just didn't want to let go without lots of "persuasion".

As for the hump, first I tried to use a dremel with a bit designed to cut hardened steel.

No buneo. Bit broke.

I tried to use a hacksaw and it just wasn't hacking it.

Then I grabbed a pair of metal snips. Should have done that to begin with! They worked like a champ.

Once you get the hump off and complete the other prep work (cleaner, adhesive promoter) the most important part is making sure you get the panel on aligned.

Take your time, put it up to the trunk a few times. Make sure you check all the edges and see where it all lines up before you remove the tape.

Actually "installing" the panel is the fastest step as it just sticks on.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got the instructions for the metal panel with my plastic one. They hadn't updated it at that point at least. It gets you through but has extra steps like the black vinyl edging that is no longer supplied or needed.
Quote:
I just installed mine today. The most time consuming part is removing the hump...and stock panel. Those clips on the stock panel were a bit of a pain. I had one clip that just didn't want to let go without lots of "persuasion".
As for the hump, first I tried to use a dremel with a bit designed to cut hardened steel.

No buneo. Bit broke.

Then I grabbed a pair of metal snips. Should have done that to begin with! They worked like a champ.

Once you get the hump off and complete the other prep work (cleaner, adhesive promoter) the most important part is making sure you get the panel on aligned.

Take your time, put it up to the trunk a few times. Make sure you check all the edges and see where it all lines up.

Good info from both of you.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
That's correct sir, thanks for the assist here.

Just to make sure...Rich, you did receive instructions with this correct?

Alex

Honestly I have yet to pull the trigger on it. It's been sitting in my AM cart for a few weeks. I'm out of town for two straight weeks for training! I took a brand new job with a new company, so a lot going on right now. I'm probably going to wait and "let" my wife buy me this for Christmas, as well as many other "needs" go the Stang!!!

I'll keep you in the loop. Thank you!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No buneo. Bit broke.

Take your time, put it up to the trunk a few times. Make sure you check all the edges and see where it all lines up before you remove the tape.

Thanks for taking one for the team here on your hump removing process! Lol. I don't have the right tools to get this done but I think with the fore mentioned metal shears that I may be able to get this thing accomplished! I'm looking forward to getting this thing ordered and installed ASAP. I know it will look awesome on my car!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang