Upper control arm - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
So I got my car back from the dealer and this is what I got with the updated version. The dealer was not gonna pursue the install since my car is lowered and the new vent tube is too tall that is touching the over axle pipe. They told me to keep an eye on it. My question am I going to be okay? Do you think it will melt since it's touching the Ota. This is how it looks like. This is not my pix just for comparison.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
If it is that close to the exhaust pipe, I think I would look into getting some piping (nipples and elbows) to offset the bulb away from the pipe.
If there is not enough height for the offset and the bulb, I would look at using 45 degree elbows and mounting the bulb at a 45 angle.
And if there was not enough height for that either then I would mount the bulb horizontally.
without seeing the relative size and space, it hard to say.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
If it is that close to the exhaust pipe, I think I would look into getting some piping (nipples and elbows) to offset the bulb away from the pipe.
If there is not enough height for the offset and the bulb, I would look at using 45 degree elbows and mounting the bulb at a 45 angle.
And if there was not enough height for that either then I would mount the bulb horizontally.
without seeing the relative size and space, it hard to say.
This is the best I could get.. If you look closely the nipple is not really touching the pipes, it is very close though do you think it's enough to melt it? I don't think I could get any sort of a bracket though or extensions. I have never seen this so dry below where the vent is. It's always look wet before.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446690851840.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	193269   Click image for larger version

Name:	1446690880314.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	193270  

shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is the best I could get.. If you look closely the nipple is not really touching the pipes, it is very close though do you think it's enough to melt it? I don't think I could get any sort of a bracket though or extensions. I have never seen this so dry below where the vent is. It's always look wet before.

If it's not actually touching, i'd say no. If by some chance it did get ruined somehow, I would simply replace it with a piece of hose that could be directed away from the exhaust pipe. Even with a piece of wire, if need be.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

If you think bouncing may cause it to hit you could look into adding a 45 ddegree elbow. Enough to lean it away, without raising it any.
I found the vent searching but no place mentions the thread size. That would make it easier finding the correct size fittings to use.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you think bouncing may cause it to hit you could look into adding a 45 ddegree elbow. Enough to lean it away, without raising it any.
I found the vent searching but no place mentions the thread size. That would make it easier finding the correct size fittings to use.
I like this idea alot, yeah I am looking for the thread size to get the elbow fitting but no luck.. Fintile mentioned about wrapping the Ota with Header wrap he has some extra so he will lend me some to dissipate the heat..

Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I like this idea alot, yeah I am looking for the thread size to get the elbow fitting but no luck.. Fintile mentioned about wrapping the Ota with Header wrap he has some extra so he will lend me some to dissipate the heat..

The wrap sounds like a good idea.
BTW- If you did happen to decide to mount it at a 45, you'd need, what is called a close nipple and female 45 degree elbow. Unless you were able to find what is called a 45 degree "street elbow". Which looks like this...

Name:   street el.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  5.2 KB
I would venture a wild guess at 1/4" but have no idea.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Ahahhh... Found this.. If this doesn't work or if it melts, I will use this instead this is only 13 bucks...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1446693076492.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	193272  
Old 11-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahahhh... Found this.. If this doesn't work or if it melts, I will use this instead this is only 13 bucks...

There's many ways to skin a cat.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There's many ways to skin a cat.
Hahaha good one.. Thank you sir you gave me some ideas until I found this..

Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

I thought the "turkey baster" TSB was replaced by a newer one that involved using RTV to seal the rattle cap vent's threads in place and prevent excess fluid leak?

That said, the driver's side axle tube on my car always looks a little "wet" from vented oil vapor, but never to the point of dripping and make a puddle of fluid under the car. I've considered using a piece of hose to make a mini expansion tank, but don't really see the necessity given the probably miniscule fluid loss I'm getting. Is there something that I'm missing?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:13 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I thought the "turkey baster" TSB was replaced by a newer one that involved using RTV to seal the rattle cap vent's threads in place and prevent excess fluid leak?

That said, the driver's side axle tube on my car always looks a little "wet" from vented oil vapor, but never to the point of dripping and make a puddle of fluid under the car. I've considered using a piece of hose to make a mini expansion tank, but don't really see the necessity given the probably miniscule fluid loss I'm getting. Is there something that I'm missing?
I did a lot of research about this but I never seen one that replaced the turkey baster as far as I know the TSB is still this one. If you think about it if they seal the vent cap with rtv there is no where to vent the heat..

You can definitely use the hose this is what I'm going to do if this thing doesn't work due to heat and it's touching the pipe.

I have the same situation as you but mine recently was dripping oil not a lot but you can see that there is a drip or two in the floor and the axle is very wet and iv read online I think it was from LMR he has the same issue with oil dripping and it keeps blowing his pinion seal like mine was until he found the vent tube in replaced with his factory one. I think it was the Jlt expansion tank which is 100 bucks.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

It looks like that vent fitting has a solid top with little openings on the lower sides. If that's correct, I suspect the hose would restrict venting and fluid expansion, to a point. I assume the fitting used with the rubber bulb system is an open fitting.
Food for thought.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It looks like that vent fitting has a solid top with little openings on the lower sides. If that's correct, I suspect the hose would restrict venting and fluid expansion, to a point. I assume the fitting used with the rubber bulb system is an open fitting.
Food for thought.
Thanks I see that now, but I got this part from Tasca Ford.. But anyways this set up should work.. I like the elbow extension you posted but I just have to get the right size and where to get it lol..

Old 11-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #49
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I did a lot of research about this but I never seen one that replaced the turkey baster as far as I know the TSB is still this one. If you think about it if they seal the vent cap with rtv there is no where to vent the heat..
They seal the threads, not the rattle cap.

It's TSB 12-08-15.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Old 11-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

^^newest and most common version
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
^^newest and most common version
I got this tonight, it looks really good it seems like it will work but my Turkey baster is holding up really good.. So far my axle has been dry.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They seal the threads, not the rattle cap.

It's TSB 12-08-15.
Looks and sounds like a bad fix.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Will have my car to the shop tomorrow, Rob thanks so much for offering me using your lift, yes he has a lift in his house.. But I realized I will just have my mechanic install it for me, no headaches and it closer to my house.. I will set it up to - 2 degree pinion angle.. Hopefully all goes well.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I just finished up installing my UCA yesterday and set it to -2. Really easy to do if you have the right tool. It's a tight fit of course, but I used a 1/2 ratchet with a 1-1/2 crows foot. Adjusting the pinion angle was a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCopp View Post
I just finished up installing my UCA yesterday and set it to -2. Really easy to do if you have the right tool. It's a tight fit of course, but I used a 1/2 ratchet with a 1-1/2 crows foot. Adjusting the pinion angle was a breeze.

What tool did you use to measure the angle? What brand did you go by? Any nvh?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #56
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Looks and sounds like a bad fix.
Well, we are talking about Ford here...

I'm fine with some oil venting into the axle tube, so long as there's no drippage into the ground
Old 11-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, we are talking about Ford here...

I'm fine with some oil venting into the axle tube, so long as there's no drippage into the ground
I took some pics today after driving for an hour before my axle would look so wet but so far it's bone dry.. I found out today that it's not touching the pipes.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1446947134255.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	193371   Click image for larger version

Name:	1446947160558.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	193372  

Name:	1446947174873.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	193373  
Old 11-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What tool did you use to measure the angle? What brand did you go by? Any nvh?

I used an angle finder app on my phone and a cheap angle finder I found on Amazon. BMR. Not much increase in NVH, a little, but nothing that annoys me.

2013 GT/CS
Old 11-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I used an angle finder app on my phone and a cheap angle finder I found on Amazon. BMR. Not much increase in NVH, a little, but nothing that annoys me.

Thanks for the tip man, I will look that up.. The car has to be in the lift to check it right? Or you can do it with just jack stands?

Old 11-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the tip man, I will look that up.. The car has to be in the lift to check it right? Or you can do it with just jack stands?

Suspension loaded.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Suspension loaded. (Wheels on a lift.)
OK sounds good.. What if you don't have a lift? How can I load the suspension without a lift and just the jack stands. Sorry for some noob question.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1446954803.546848.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	193374
Rears on ramps and front on jacks is how I did it. Other way is to put the axle on jacks. Try to make the car as level as possible.

2013 GT/CS
Old 11-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Attachment 193374
Rears on ramps and front on jacks is how I did it. Other way is to put the axle on jacks. Try to make the car as level as possible.

Oh nice thanks man..

Old 11-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK sounds good.. What if you don't have a lift? How can I load the suspension without a lift and just the jack stands. Sorry for some noob question.

I would probably use ramps on the front, jack stands under the rear axle, then raise the front with additional blocks to level the car. I would prefer using the tires as my reference for level, although I have read that the front suspension does not have to be loaded.
Maybe we'll have some experienced people chime in on this.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would probably use ramps on the front, jack stands under the rear axle, then raise the front with additional blocks to level the car. I would prefer using the tires as my reference for level, although I have read that the front suspension does not have to be loaded.
Maybe we'll have some experienced people chime in on this.
Every idea counts.. Appreciate it

Old 11-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

I used my angle finder as my guide to make sure the car was level. Just put it under the rocker panel.

2013 GT/CS
Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Will have my car to the shop tomorrow, Rob thanks so much for offering me using your lift, yes he has a lift in his house.. But I realized I will just have my mechanic install it for me, no headaches and it closer to my house.. I will set it up to - 2 degree pinion angle.. Hopefully all goes well.

Anytime you need to use it, just let me know....except for the next few weeks. I am in the process of recessing it into the floor. My friend and I cut the floor during the week and I jack hammered it this morning. Need to get rid of the rubble and then get the new pad poured. Once this is done, the cars will clear the lift without the need to drive up on 2 x 10s.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Anytime you need to use it, just let me know....except for the next few weeks. I am in the process of recessing it into the floor. My friend and I cut the floor during the week and I jack hammered it this morning. Need to get rid of the rubble and then get the new pad poured. Once this is done, the cars will clear the lift without the need to drive up on 2 x 10s.
You are awesome man, thank you so much.. If you need help or anything just let me know..

Old 11-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #69
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Sounds nice!

Upgrading the beverage fridge too, while you're at it?
Old 11-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Sounds nice!

Upgrading the beverage fridge too, while you're at it?
That is never a problem! Plenty for everyone!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang