This accounts for 99% of you out there. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
This accounts for 99% of you out there.

Just a good read I hope some will truly think about:

https://theapexhunter.wordpress.com/...e-doing-wrong/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 12:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
This accounts for 99% of you out there.

100% agree with this article.

Not sure that it's 99% of "us" but I think you are right in saying it's an epidemic.

What I can never understand is why people will skimp on crap parts and/or the "downgrades" as the article so gracefully put it.

Happy to say I do not find myself falling into any of these categories (except maybe spending a tad too much on visual mods, but I still feel like they are tasteful)
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Dang now I feel bad for just ordering a new set of wheels and tires from AM before lowering my car, lol. Oh well might as well slap an intake on, get some dice for the rear view mirror and call it a day. Just kidding, I really won't be doing those last two things. I guess it depends on what your intentions are with the car. I never plan to track or race my car so I'm ok with visual customization, otherwise I'd be throwing away money to get more hp just to race red light to red light. Like the article, I already feel like I never get to unleash my cars potential. If I ever did end up wanting to add more power I would definitely take care of suspension and brakes first though. I don't buy cheap stuff either, maybe on sale but definitely not junk.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 01:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Number one always makes me laugh.

It is cheaper to find time in the corners by improving driver technique than it is to buy enough horsepower to hide the mistakes.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:18 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I disagree with the statement of buying cheap parts on Ebay. I'll research a part I'm looking for by brand using the internet, reading reviews, etc. Once I've made a determination that the part is of good quality with a good track record, I head over to Ebay to see if its available there at a lower price. In some cases it is, and I buy it.
I also use EBay to buy used parts from a salvage yard. As we all know, OEM parts are good. If a used OEM part (body panel, certain suspension parts, etc.) are being sold off of EBay at a good price, it makes good sense to purchase it, provided shipping costs are reasonable. Most salvage yards offer free shipping.
So, while he makes some good points, he tarnished his reputation to me by making such a blanket statement. It showed me that he is offering an opinion. We all have one of those.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I finally made it, I am in the 1%
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Nice article but somewhat I disagree in my own perspective, I modified my car not to reach the high horsepower goal but I mod it to my liking from appearance to performance and wanted it to be my own vision written on it "UNIQUENESS". We have our own opinion on this, no matter what we do there is always faster than our own cars..

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:36 AM   #8

This is the way I think about it, with my car I first wanted to make my car my own with appearance's and an exhaust (which I bought used and couldn't be happier), I wanted a car that people would see and be like "Oh hey that's Cam's car" then once that's done I will focus on performance such as tune and suspension. Although I would want to build a track ready monster like the Boss 227, it's just not reasonable for me at the moment. His statement "it's all about goals" is 100% true, people should make their cars their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Camboss123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I disagree with the statement of buying cheap parts on Ebay. I'll research a part I'm looking for by brand using the internet, reading reviews, etc. Once I've made a determination that the part is of good quality with a good track record, I head over to Ebay to see if its available there at a lower price. In some cases it is, and I buy it.
I also use EBay to buy used parts from a salvage yard. As we all know, OEM parts are good. If a used OEM part (body panel, certain suspension parts, etc.) are being sold off of EBay at a good price, it makes good sense to purchase it, provided shipping costs are reasonable. Most salvage yards offer free shipping.
So, while he makes some good points, he tarnished his reputation to me by making such a blanket statement. It showed me that he is offering an opinion. We all have one of those.

I think he meant cheap Ebay parts as in parts that are off brand and pretty much exclusive to some Ebay store that sells replicas/cheap quality. That's what I took it as.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
I think he meant cheap Ebay parts as in parts that are off brand and pretty much exclusive to some Ebay store that sells replicas/cheap quality. That's what I took it as.

Instagram: @v6beast

Same here.

I have prob bought 75% of my stuff on eBay. But that's because I have expensive taste and I want the quality stuff for less.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Ebay was my friend on finding those OEM Takeoff stuff from the Premiums.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
There's a difference between "cheap parts" and buying parts cheap.
Granted, it's sometimes difficult to determine when the parts are cheaply made, etc.
Then some have the philosophy that the more it cost, the better it is.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Good reading right there! I also agree with what the writer has stated but perhaps not 99% but I am sure its a large %.

Thanks for the link!

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

This article is coming from a strictly race perspective. IF that is your goal then it is true. But what if it is not? What if I love looking at my car, what if I love to get my exhaust to sound perfect to me and that costs a few HP. What if lowered is just... cool. The snobby part of the article is assuming you know why someone does what they do.

I want to look, perform and sound a certain way. Do all work together all the time... no. But it is a good mix. 20's do NOT help traction lol... but damn I love looking at them. So I will Waste money on a set of 15 or 17 drag radials for track down the road. Did I need to spend months and multiple attmepts getting the rear end looking the way I did. NO... but god it is cool, lol.

To each their own but I have it right where I want it... almost, lol.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The thing is, its all a matter of perspective... Sure there's a right way to lower your car,and probably no one here, including myself, has done it.

When lowering you should obviously change your rear lower control arms, get lower control arm brackets, and a panhard bar. People forget about the front of the car though, you also "need" new lower ball joints for the front control arms, new bumpsteer kits to compliment the new lower ball joints, adjustable endlinks to set the proper pre-load on the sway bar, not to mention some proper caster / camber plates ... suddenly something as simple as lowering the car becomes a $1500 commitment.

Some of what the article says is right i guess, but for the most part its just not practical for most people's intended uses.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
"I don’t claim to be the all-knowing god of the automotive universe, but what I can promise you, is that*I’ve learned a good amount about cars in the last five years"

5 years? C'mon!

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 11-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
He got some things right. You do learn a lot from the forums and going to events and taking to the experienced people.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
"I don’t claim to be the all-knowing god of the automotive universe, but what I can promise you, is that*I’ve learned a good amount about cars in the last five years"

5 years? C'mon!

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6

I believe he is saying he has LEARNED in the last 5 years. Not that he just started to do car things in the last 5 years. As in, "in the last 5 years I have learned what I feel is really learning"

That's how I read that statement.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
People always hating on us 99%ers.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Lol, I got 99 problems but this article ain't one.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Hey...This would be a boring world if everyone thought exactly the same.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #22

Hello all, I actually made a new account here just so I could thank you for sharing this. I've had nearly 3,000 views on this post in just over one day, which is awesome.

To clarify a bit, this post was written from a track-oriented perspective. I AutoX regularly and will be a regular at Sebring's big boy track as soon as I pick up a secondary vehicle that I won't have to worry about daily driving. Obviously, as a result, I stressed the importance of seat time, knowledge acquisition and quality parts that will improve lap times. I did plenty of aesthetic work on my STi, but I never let it take precedence over practicality.

As stated in the post, I never claimed to be the ultimate authority of automotive information. I just wanted to clarify that in the past few years, I've learned quite a bit from working on, driving and breaking cars. I try to soak up information from SCCA officials, Martin Sports Car Club members, etc. I figured that a lot of people would benefit from hearing what I had to say, since I know that plenty of people are incredibly misguided in my area (Tampa, FL).

In regards to eBay parts, I meant the Chinese knockoffs. I have no problem with saving money on quality parts, used or not, but I do find it ridiculous when someone slaps a POS eBay turbo or poorly-welded manifold onto a well-built motor.

To put myself on the chopping block- my STi had a full catless exhaust, DP, open source tune, sticky tires, carbon fiber trunk, heat shields galore, etc. I currently daily drive a '13 Si (RIP EJ257) and AutoX a friend's '13 BRZ with Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers, PBM control arms, RPF1s, full exhaust, headers and an open source tune. I'm looking to either build an SR powered 240sx for AutoX and track driving or a 5.3 swapped one to slide.

Thanks for reading, your input is truly appreciated.
TheApexHunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I think your post echoed many of our sentiments.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
All of them summed up into one.

Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
...you also "need" new lower ball joints for the front control arms, new bumpsteer kits to compliment the new lower ball joints, adjustable endlinks to set the proper pre-load on the sway bar, not to mention some proper caster / camber plates ... suddenly something as simple as lowering the car becomes a $1500 commitment.
I think I saw a lot of this stuff on sale at ebay!
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Nice article but it leaves out one thing (at least around where I live). As I pose in superhero stance. I am the envy of every 15 year old within a 20 mile radius!
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I've always saved my money for new parts. I am installing Koni sports, J&M cc plates BMR lca's & panhard w/poly bushings adj. also Bassani axle backs & a 3.5" DDS driveshaft next week. No Ebay for my Cyclone. Still not "lowered".
Old 11-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
This article is coming from a strictly race perspective. IF that is your goal then it is true. But what if it is not? What if I love looking at my car, what if I love to get my exhaust to sound perfect to me and that costs a few HP. What if lowered is just... cool. The snobby part of the article is assuming you know why someone does what they do.

I want to look, perform and sound a certain way. Do all work together all the time... no. But it is a good mix. 20's do NOT help traction lol... but damn I love looking at them. So I will Waste money on a set of 15 or 17 drag radials for track down the road. Did I need to spend months and multiple attmepts getting the rear end looking the way I did. NO... but god it is cool, lol.

To each their own but I have it right where I want it... almost, lol.

I agree 100%!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
bwgraham33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I used the 99% line to get the views
There is a good majority of you I know with out a doubt know what you're doing, but there is still a good portion who feel that everything is just slap n go with parys. TheApexHunt3r I actually saw this article posted on Facebook and gave it a read. It wasn't until my second read through that I caught the V6 Mustang recreate the light bulb went on. Lol
Old 11-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Spend YOUR money on YOUR car as you see fit.l!

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Spend YOUR money on YOUR car as you see fit.l!

Its still not going to keep others from bashing you should you do something off the wall, but we know this will happen the day we decide to do what we do to them. It just comes with the territorry, but if your going to do it, at least do it right. Looks are whatever you make of it, but performance and especially suspension shouldn't be done half assed. That's partly why I still havnt done anything to my suspension. There is so much involved I just know if I can afford the headache some of you have experienced with lowering your cars and such. That's just me.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camboss123 View Post
This is the way I think about it, with my car I first wanted to make my car my own with appearance's and an exhaust (which I bought used and couldn't be happier), I wanted a car that people would see and be like "Oh hey that's Cam's car" then once that's done I will focus on performance such as tune and suspension. Although I would want to build a track ready monster like the Boss 227, it's just not reasonable for me at the moment. His statement "it's all about goals" is 100% true, people should make their cars their own.

AYYYY
thanks for the shoutout
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:42 AM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
AYYYY
thanks for the shoutout
He was talking about the white one

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

LOL!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447512670755.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	193590  
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang