Power Stop Z23 Brakes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Power Stop Z23 Brakes

OK , I'm seeking some help on this. I installed the Power Stop Brakes on my pony this week end. I had no issues with the pads or return clips. They did not seem to be dragging to me when I spun the wheel prior to lowering the jack. My concern is after the first ride across town it seems like they are producing a lot of heat... I'm not on the brakes hard. Will this get better with time ?
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why do you think they're producing a lot of heat, and how are you getting this information?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well when I got out of the car they were smelling like heat and when I got close to the wheel I could feel what I thought was excessive heat... Also a terrible amount of brake dust. It was almost like you had been on a circle track for a 50 lap race... I have looked at them today after work and all the spring clips are still in place... If I get off early tomorrow I'm going to clean the brake dust off and take her for another ride just to see..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Did you seat the pads? You mentioned your first drive across town is when you found this "issue."
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I went through the pad break in process..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Sorry, the recommended seating process

Old 11-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I think the question is, was a brake dragging while/after you went for your ride.
Was the heat you felt limited to one wheel?
Your description makes it sound pretty darn hot.
When you take another short ride, try coming to ALMOST a full stop but allowing it to roll very slowly. If a brake is dragging you should be able to feel it stop you when you're barely moving.
Being a 2014, I wouldn't think it would be a sticky piston or sticky slider bolt. But I would try to rule out dragging pads first.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mine smelled for a bit after I installed them on my jeep. But if your concerned about it then jack up the car and try to spin the tires
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the ideas, I will try it again today or tomorrow keeping all suggestions in my mind. Will let u know the out come. I don't drive this car everyday. I was attracted to the Power Stop so the rotors would not rust maybe as bad. I guess if they stop better they may build a little heat. After the ride , It was all the brake dust on both front wheels that got my attention first and then looking closer was when I discovered what I thought was excessive heat.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My rear pads was getting hung up on my jeep and turned the rotor blueish, might wanna just do a visual before anything
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Great idea, Thanks Ty

Old 11-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #11

Region: Georgia
Power Stop Discs

Powers Stops are thicker than stock or other types. This creates heat, they will swell and create more heat. I do not know what brake pads you are using, but, you need to use their pads to go with their rotors. I have had this problem with my Fox Body and my F150. Eventually, they warp from the heat.
Michael Bettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bettis View Post
Powers Stops are thicker than stock or other types. This creates heat, they will swell and create more heat. I do not know what brake pads you are using, but, you need to use their pads to go with their rotors. I have had this problem with my Fox Body and my F150. Eventually, they warp from the heat.
The OP said, "They did not seem to be dragging to me when I spun the wheel prior to lowering the jack."
One would think some dragging would show up at this time.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
w/o insulting.....was the heat/dust from the bedding in (seating) process? That will build up lots of heat & dust.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I hope that's the case mud. I used the shoes & rotors that were in the kit. When I return from this trucking trip Im going to jack it up and make sure nothing's dragging. Clean the brake dust off and go again. Will let u know. THANKS

Old 11-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Update, So I get in from work today and go for a ride and a few stops about 10-15 miles. Get home and can lay my hand on both rear rotors and the right front. But when I got to the left front it was really hot. Jacked it up and it is dragging on something. I'm going to let it cool down and take it apart in the morning and see what's up. Later

Old 11-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #16
Kevin.Cook

I have the Powerstop kit on my 2014 and the pads or rotors have been noisy for the past couple of months. Unfortunately, my wife primarily drives the car so I don't get much time in it anymore. Which is why I haven't checked it out yet. I did mention it to Alex but it is difficult finding time as it is for the 2011.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck with that noise. Yep I have a problem with time myself. Mostly gone during the week. I installed the power stop brakes last weekend. Got something dragging on the left front. Going to ck it out in the morning. I had to scrape the paint from the back of the shoes on the rear to get the calipers back on . It's like the pads are almost to thick . But anyway not having any problem except that left front which I intend to cure that tomorrow ..

Old 11-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Smile Final Analysis

Final Analysis, This morning I put the car on jack stands and removed both front wheels. After checking the install on both wheels I found that (1) my left front rotor was .007 thicker than the right. (2) This along with the thick black paint that's on the back of the pads was the reason for my left front getting hot. I had to wire brush the paint from the back of the pads to get some free spin in my left front wheel. I also had to do the same to even get the rear calipers on. The Power Stop brakes were just a tight fit for me but all is well now. Also not trying to insult A/M but Summit has the set for $ 289. if anyone is interested...Thanks for all who helped...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	193872  
Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Just 4U

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang