All wheel spacers ARE created equal. - AM - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
All wheel spacers ARE created equal. - AM

So I've always liked a wider wheelbase look. Made two attempts with ebay style spacers and each time there was one bolt in the spacer that broke free around 50 ft-lbs of torque. Decided to bite the bullet and drop the 70 clams at American Muscle for their billet spacers. Items showed in record time (AM is great at shipping). On inspection, the AM spacers had the same etched product numbers as my ebay spacers which were priced at $28 a set. Not a good sign. Installed the AM spacers, low and behold the second spacer had a bolt break free well below being torqued tight (100ft-lbs is what I always torque to). Used one of my ebay spacers to make things at least right to drive now. Called AM, they were polite and courteous as always but the young lady that was helping me put me on hold to check something. On her coming back, she said none of their staff had ever heard of one of the bolts in a spacer coming loose before on installation. ... I can bite my tongue, smile and count to five... I asked for an RMA on the bad spacer. She was still very polite (and I was too) but she said they were purchased as a set and had to be returned as a set. Now if the markings on the AM spacers weren't the same as my cheap ebay ones which didn't work either I would have gone and done the return however they were the same.

Moral to the story: some of the cheap crap you see on ebay, don't always assume paying double or triple price will get you a different product. I like AM but this really shakes my confidence in some of what they are selling as "Solid, Durable Construction" at a much much higher price. Still shaking my head that they had the same product markings as the cheap ones from China at just over one-third the price.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Sorry to hear about all this. Seems we both are having a bit of bad luck lately. Hopefully AM can make it right.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Have you talked to Alex about this yet?

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I happen to have some rims with the proper offset for sale in the market right now
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

I think that is what will be on the list come next tire replacement time Volt. Bite the bullet and get new rims.

I haven't Recon, but it was one of those things that I don't think Alex can fix. I sort of thought paying 70 on AM would have been a different and better product than ebay stuff shipped from China for $28. Seeing the same product codes on it was sincerely disheartening.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 11-18-2015, 01:19 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Just my .02, but i will never put spacers on my car unless i have upgraded wheel studs.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
So I've always liked a wider wheelbase look. Made two attempts with ebay style spacers and each time there was one bolt in the spacer that broke free around 50 ft-lbs of torque. Decided to bite the bullet and drop the 70 clams at American Muscle for their billet spacers. Items showed in record time (AM is great at shipping). On inspection, the AM spacers had the same etched product numbers as my ebay spacers which were priced at $28 a set. Not a good sign. Installed the AM spacers, low and behold the second spacer had a bolt break free well below being torqued tight (100ft-lbs is what I always torque to). Used one of my ebay spacers to make things at least right to drive now. Called AM, they were polite and courteous as always but the young lady that was helping me put me on hold to check something. On her coming back, she said none of their staff had ever heard of one of the bolts in a spacer coming loose before on installation. ... I can bite my tongue, smile and count to five... I asked for an RMA on the bad spacer. She was still very polite (and I was too) but she said they were purchased as a set and had to be returned as a set. Now if the markings on the AM spacers weren't the same as my cheap ebay ones which didn't work either I would have gone and done the return however they were the same.

Moral to the story: some of the cheap crap you see on ebay, don't always assume paying double or triple price will get you a different product. I like AM but this really shakes my confidence in some of what they are selling as "Solid, Durable Construction" at a much much higher price. Still shaking my head that they had the same product markings as the cheap ones from China at just over one-third the price.

So there policy doesn't appear to be over the top. You could have sent them back and they would have shipped you a new set. Kinda sounds like you were standing near the wrong end of the horse.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:56 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

It wasn't as much a return issue New. It was feeling a tad disillusioned along with the effort of having to remove the undamaged AM spacer and an ebay one off the car (don't want the car looking lob-sided as it is my DD). To be able to send the pair of AM spacers back, only to be looking forward to the same inferior product being sent as replacement. Point was more effort being put in forward with minimal expectation of a different result. I had one that works that I paired with my $28 ebay spacer (and they match no less). I have a set it just stings that my $70 to AM only got me one good unit. So yes, I do feel like I was on the wrong end of the horse; and that horse emptied itself on me.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Hamp - I'm sorry to see and hear about this man!

Shoot me your order number or email address in a PM and I guarantee I'll get you smiling again no matter what. I skinned my knees (might be showing my age here) in the 11-14 V6 thread and I have yet to let any one of you guys down.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
It wasn't as much a return issue New. It was feeling a tad disillusioned along with the effort of having to remove the undamaged AM spacer and an ebay one off the car (don't want the car looking lob-sided as it is my DD). To be able to send the pair of AM spacers back, only to be looking forward to the same inferior product being sent as replacement. Point was more effort being put in forward with minimal expectation of a different result. I had one that works that I paired with my $28 ebay spacer (and they match no less). I have a set it just stings that my $70 to AM only got me one good unit. So yes, I do feel like I was on the wrong end of the horse; and that horse emptied itself on me.
Are these the spacers you got from AM?
1in Billet Aluminum Mustang Wheel Spacers (Pair) (94-14 All) - Free Shipping
Under Installation they show up as H&R 100% made in Germany. Apparently the installation instructions don't reflect what you're getting. For that matter I could never understand why many of the products offer no info on manufacturer, where they are made, etc.
So when you say "broke free at 50 lbs" I take it those bolts are press fitted into the spacers. One would think a hex or square head pressed in would be the way to go.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
generic install video.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
generic install video.
Abraham Lincoln and I went to different schools together.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have used plenty of spacers with out a problem.
BUT, I always buy the made in America ones.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

I'm with you Die on the hex or square bolt. These circular pressed studs were actually comical looking back on it (wasn't comical at the time). I was tightening things down, had some resistance then free spinning again. Thinking to myself "man, how much thread is left here till these bottom out?" I'm sure I looked like Kramer from Seinfeld making sausage just cranking away in free spin.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm with you Die on the hex or square bolt. These circular pressed studs were actually comical looking back on it (wasn't comical at the time). I was tightening things down, had some resistance then free spinning again. Thinking to myself "man, how much thread is left here till these bottom out?" I'm sure I looked like Kramer from Seinfeld making sausage just cranking away in free spin.
Although when I think about it, the typical wheel stud is knurled and I would assume theirs follow suit. Could be inferior material strength. Either in the spacer or the stud. In any case AM better drop these spacers like a hot potato.
Click image for larger version

Name:	K12WB2_1000.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	193745
Old 11-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #16
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Hamp - Message received and replied. I'm sorry about all of the trouble again but I'll work with you via PM to get you fixed up any way you see fit.

...And just because I was raised on it...

Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #17
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hamp - Message received and replied. I'm sorry about all of the trouble again but I'll work with you via PM to get you fixed up any way you see fit.

...And just because I was raised on it...

And this is why I love Alex and AM.

I try to throw a Seinfeld quote into a conversation at least once per day.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:57 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

LOL Alex! Yep, that's the image. LOL
Old 11-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Guys, I have to give some props and praise out. Alex from AM was absolutely 'on it' to make things right. He even made an over the top generous offer as a gesture of good will and customer service; which was too generous for me to feel right in accepting so I didn't, but the offer being simply made went a long way with me. Those spacers I have zero faith in. However, I have a lot of faith in AM and actually am thinking sure they carried the product but are about making things right. No longer feeling disillusioned with AM here. Thanks Alex, I appreciate you for your customer service (and ability to grasp the Seinfeld reference too!)
Old 11-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Guys, I have to give some props and praise out. Alex from AM was absolutely 'on it' to make things right. He even made an over the top generous offer as a gesture of good will and customer service; which was too generous for me to feel right in accepting so I didn't, but the offer being simply made went a long way with me. Those spacers I have zero faith in. However, I have a lot of faith in AM and actually am thinking sure they carried the product but are about making things right. No longer feeling disillusioned with AM here. Thanks Alex, I appreciate you for your customer service (and ability to grasp the Seinfeld reference too!)
Love this....

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Good to hear you have found closure on this. I too had an issue with the diffuser I got for my 2011, But Alex went above and beyond to make things right on his end. It is still nice to vent every now and then but I am glad American Muscle listens and strives to keep their customers happy.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
AND THEY DO
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang