odd noiseses - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-19-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
odd noiseses

I recently got back from deployment an after not driving my car for 6 months it was amazing to be able to drive it again, but i noticed an almost rubbing noise or low toned squeaking when i go slow and take a hard turn such as when braking. For example slowing down and turning into a parking lot, or residential type turns, i cant remember if i heard this sound before i left or not.
I do have new wheels on from AM that i recently put on before leaving, although they have tons of clearance from everything and im not lowered. Also i have caliper covers, along with this there is the issue of im missing a couple of the retaining clips from the brake pads in the front. At first i figured this was the issue so i plan on replacing them but i noticed its only when turning slow and with the radio off, but its excruciating to listen to it, as if my steering is rubbing on my rotor or something is touching every so often on the turn of the wheel. The last mod I can think that would effect the possible noice is the one piece aluminum drive shaft i didnt add an upper control arm with it but ive heard thats suggested is that true?
Im really not sure on this issue I hoped to get someones possible opinion on the matter, or know if anyone has had this issue before
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 04:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I would definitely check the clearance on those caliper covers to be sure that they are not touching or close to touching the rotors. I would also look into those missing retainers. Slight movement in the pads could cause this.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

if you went from 17" to larger wheels you prob need new steering stops.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Hmmm..6 months, maybe a little rust buildup?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Hmmm..6 months, maybe a little rust buildup?
That or maybe flat spots in the tires (depending on how the car was stored)?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It was just stored on a lot on base never moved sadly the workers that were supposed to keep my car cover on didn't even do that I took a look and there was no rust, I went to O'Reilly to order new brake pads so I could get the retainer clips though. Since I changed to 19in rims you think I need new steering stops? I've never even heard of them

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

It also does almost feel like the steering is having issues on sharp turns and I know something is up with the calipers I feel like my car fell apart as I was gone

Old 11-20-2015, 05:27 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

steering stops are what stop the tires/rims when you crank the wheel all the way. If it came with 17's oem I'd get some (cheap easy) look at American Muscle. the stops are only when you crank the wheel all the way...try and describe your issues better for us.

LCA's (lower control arms) will squeek going over bumps common should be under wtty.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So for an update I took off all the caliper covers spacers on the rear wheels and checked the fenders there's no contacting between the tire and fender turns out the 19in rim an wheel set am sells is set specifically to not contact (shorter tire sidewall)

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

It still makes the noise sounds like rubbing or grinding when I'm going slow and turning hard ie into a parking spot

Old 12-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I thought maybe it was the power steering being low on fluid and after an in depth search on my part for the power steering reservoir I discovered the v6 uses electronic power steering with anti drift apparently

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

I'm worried that the electronic motor is having issues or struggling I looked up the issue I'm not the only one with this issue I've heard it's normal and abnormal but seen no fixes any suggestions?

Old 12-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have a feeling it's the power steering motor, considering it makes noise when I'm travelling slow and turning till the wheel stops but it doesnt make the noise when I'm sitting still and turning all the way

Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Check your front wheel bearings?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Thank You for Your Service. Glad you are home with your family for Christmas!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It might be that my buddy drove my car on the interstate to a shop with unbalanced wheels, but it doesn't make the noises at speed say like on the highway or turning not so hard? Would that still be ball bearings?

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Thank You for Your Service. Glad you are home with your family for Christmas!
Thank you I appreciate it, finally home for Christmas this time haha

Old 12-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

if it only makes it when you are moving....I would jack up the front end (jackstands!!) and rotate the tires while cranking the wheel all the way. With a 3-4' piece of hose used as a mechanics stethoscope you may be able to isolate it. is the od of the new tires the same as the 17's...I still like my internet guess of steering stops.

forgot to mention...b4 you sell your others swap back to see if it is the wheels
Old 12-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'll have to try that for sure I leave to see family in a bit so I won't have time in the next couple weeks, I did jack up my car yesterday partially to investigate mostly to install the longtube headers an xpipe, didn't see any issues but I plan on checking again when I get back and am installing the new lower control arms and bumpsteer kit, (also have an issue with the car lurching a lot)

I did find an interesting semi solution on accident.I took my car to auto skills to install my new long tube headers an xpipe with hi flow cats after the 6 hour installation and taking it out I noticed no body not even myself could really hear it anymore hahah

But I still need to diagnose and fix it so it doesn't cause problems

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang