Anyone ever had an issue like this? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Anyone ever had an issue like this?

I have a 2012 v6 Mustang w/ PP. It has approx. 35,000 miles on it, very nice condition, well cared for.

Recently, it started having some odd driveability conditions. It seems to do a few weird things, not necessarily at the same time.

1. The variable valve timing (Ford vtec) will kick in at odd times, sometimes as early as 3,000rpm when at WOT (wide-open throttle). Usually this happens when the car is under load, like on a steep hill and I punch the gas, but it happens at other times as well, and at other rpm's. In my old Honda, vtec kicked in at the same rpm every time. I'm not sure if the version of variable valve timing in my mustang is similar, or if the ECU is choosing when to engage it based on demand and this is normal.

2. Sometimes I will be on the throttle with my foot in the same position, and while it's accelerating, the engine rpm and the amount of acceleration I feel will stall, then it will pick up again a second or two later. Kinda like a sticking throttle plate or something.

3. Sometimes when under hard acceleration, especially at lower rpms at WOT) the engine will get louder, as it should, but without the accompanying push of acceleration. Almost like a clutch slipping scenario, but not quite. Often this happens when the variable valve timing kicks in early.

I took the stang over to my mechanic buddy so he could test drive it, and neither of us really know what to make of it. His best guess was that it sounds like a computer issue, that maybe it needs a software update or the ECU reflashed. I can't find any relevant TSB's though, although I have yet to call Ford and ask if there are any software updates needed for my model year.

So, has anyone else had any of this happen in your Mustangs?
stayFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
WAG....the valve timing is moved by oil pressure. Are you due for an oil change or have you changed oil weight?

I've read several people have to replace throttle bodys but it seems low mileage compared to them
Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
How can you tell what the variable valve timing is doing exactly?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I would say since you have a 14 that if you are within the warranty milage take it to the dealer and not your mechanic buddy friend guy. Anything g wrong with it they should be able to find out. First off though do you have any mods? PP isn't a mod. It's what you do when you drunk too much.
Also are you the first owner...there may be a tune on the car that the previous owner failed to remove and it may not have been a very good one.
Do you have a tuner at all? If you do try doing a couple datalogs and post them up.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Have you tried doing the most basic thing and unplug the battery for an hour or two? Let everything relearn. Also, make sure all your maintenance is up to date.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Ok, I will try to answer these in the order they were given. I don't feel like quoting though so..

1. It's not due for an oil change yet, although I'm surprised to learn that the VVT in the mustangs is oil pressure activated. Everything else is electronic. No, I have not changed oil weight.

2. I can tell what it's doing by sound. It's pretty easy to hear the engagement. If you're asking whether I've looked at the live data on a scanner while it's engaged, then no. But it's pretty obvious when it engages.

3. It isn't a '14, it's a '12. It's still under my extended warranty, however. PP stands for Performance Package, other than that I only have a CAI. The car has no tunes, and I don't have a tuner. It wasn't doing this when I first bought it from the original owner though.

4. Actually, no, I haven't tried that. It does need a new battery though, so I'll buy a new battery and see if the problem gets corrected when the ECU is relearning it's stuff. This may work because there is corrosion on the positive terminal (high resistance+low voltage=not good) but if the battery was fine then I doubt unplugging it would make much of a difference. The ECU relearn process really only has to do with fuel trim.

But regardless, it probably is a good idea that I replace the battery and that will simultaneously perform your idea as well, so we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't work, then I will be taking it to a dealer. Chasing down electronic faults (especially ones with no codes) is not my idea of fun.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Good grief, I'm retarded...2012 is what I ment. I only poke out the PP cause it makes no difference if you have the Performance Package, Pony Package or just a plain old V6 the engine is the same just appearance and performance difference in suspension and brakes. It irritates me like nails on a chalk bored yo read that, it's like so what you a PP mustang so do I. I just have issues :-/

Hopefully the battery disconnect works out though.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'm not sure what triggers the valve timing change (assume electronics) but they are moved by oil.

having it kick in early at WOT sounds like a good idea.

Fintle, go take your meds...you'll feel better.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Good grief, I'm retarded...2012 is what I ment. I only poke out the PP cause it makes no difference if you have the Performance Package, Pony Package or just a plain old V6 the engine is the same just appearance and performance difference in suspension and brakes. It irritates me like nails on a chalk bored yo read that, it's like so what you a PP mustang so do I. I just have issues :-/

Hopefully the battery disconnect works out though.
Yup, I know it makes no difference in reference to this particular problem, but I have a bad habit of supplying too much information when explaining a problem. I'm kinda ocd about leaving out information, as extraneous as it may be.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I'm not sure what triggers the valve timing change (assume electronics) but they are moved by oil.

having it kick in early at WOT sounds like a good idea.

Fintle, go take your meds...you'll feel better.
Got my refill....I'm good to go!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang