Gas Mileage? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

Region: New York
Gas Mileage?

How is it that a lot of ppl are reporting 27-30mpg in there stang but I look at my dash and I'm getting between 10-14mpg granted I'm doing about 70% city driving but I take it easy I don't beat on car. What can I do to improve gas mileage I have the performance package so I have the 3.31 gearing and 19" rims no mods done. Any help would be appreciated. If this topic has been discussed in detail sorry in advance for not finding it. Oh and its a 2012 if that makes any difference.

Thank you
IntoxicatdSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoxicatdSmurf View Post
How is it that a lot of ppl are reporting 27-30mpg in there stang but I look at my dash and I'm getting between 10-14mpg granted I'm doing about 70% city driving but I take it easy I don't beat on car. What can I do to improve gas mileage I have the performance package so I have the 3.31 gearing and 19" rims no mods done. Any help would be appreciated. If this topic has been discussed in detail sorry in advance for not finding it. Oh and its a 2012 if that makes any difference.

Thank you
city is usually crap. i get like 16 to 19 city. today i did highway only (like 95%) and am at 28.9mpg. so pretty much the 29mpg advertised for a 6spd for highway.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I feel like the car averages in a zero when sitting still, because even doing the same driving every day my gas mileage would just steadily get worse and worse.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The high reported figures are highway driving. As soon as you start driving in the city or stop and go mileage drops like a stone. I settle out around 19 in the city and will hit 30+ on a highway trip. If you're that low though, you're either still at idle an awful lot or bouncing the tach off the redline at every opportunity. Because, wow - 10-14 is terrible.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #5

maybe I'm idling to long will reset and see if that is the issue, traffic was a bit crazy for a little with construction that is now complete after 5 years lol...and no redlining for me at all since I've had the car.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I feel like the car averages in a zero when sitting still, because even doing the same driving every day my gas mileage would just steadily get worse and worse.
I went from like 26.8 MPG to 24.4 MPG or something like that over the course of a winter. Just from idling 10-15 minutes to build some heat.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm sitting at 25.4, that's with me hammering it whenever I get the chance while getting on the freeway. That's mostly highway miles at about 80mph. I dropped down to 70mph last week and mileage went up to 25.8 in about two days. That's no fun though, so I found myself doing around 75mph this week. We'll see what that averages. I do about 80% highway and 20% city. When I first got the car and drove like an old lady I was getting a bout 32 mpg.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Try to forget what the information on your dash say's and Fill the Tank-Write down your miles- run the tank to at least 1/4 left, Refill the tank- Write down the gallons used- run again until about 1/4 left,-Write down the miles.Write down the gallons used- Add the Gallons used together.
Subtract the first miles from the one you have now.
his will be your total miles driven
Divide the Gallons used into the total miles and you will have your "TRUE" miles per gallon.
It just takes a little patients and some accurate record keeping, But at least you will know your true Miles Per Gallon.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Going by the dash I also get anywhere between 13-15mpg. I drive city all the time even on the highway. Miami traffic sucks so its stop and go on the highway until a certain point. But then its only for a few miles that you dont have to stop. Putting in my new CAI tomorrow. Hopefully that will help with the mpg's.
As for what Ronnie said about writing down the tank fill ups, im gonna try that out. Usually i just go through 36 a week driving roughly 30 miles to and from work.
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This is my actual miles per gallon on my trip to :

The American Muscle Mustang show in Pennsylvania from Florida and back to Florida.
It includes:
Interstate Highway,
Stop and go traffic both ways around Washington DC
City Driving.
Driving the hills in Pennsylvania.
Flooring it all the way out of the rest areas ( Many because I had my dog with me)
I stayed in Elkton Maryland for a week and drove a lot of Wilmington Delaware City driving in heavy traffic.

All on 87 octane and not trying to be a gas savor.
My car is a 2012 V6 with automatic and 2.73 rear
Ronnie

Trip expensis AM show 2015

Mileage at start on Counter “B” oooooo

1st. stop Manning S.C. 12.242 gal @ $35.00 = 363.7 miles = 29.709 mpg

2nd. Stop King George Va. 12.462 gal @ $35.01 = 395.7 miles = 31.752 mpg

3rd. stop Shillington Pa. 9.203 gal @$23.00 = 264.8 miles = 28.773 mpg

4th. stop Ashland Va. 11.946 gal @ $26.75 = 335.9 miles = 28.118 mpg

5th. stop Santee S.C. 11.067 gal @ $25.00 = 373.8 miles = 33.776 mpg

6th. stop Port Orange Fl. 10.767 gal @ $24.75 = 319.1 miles 29.636 mpg (Last stop)

Mileage at finish on counter “B” 2,053 miles

67.687 Gallons of gas used
Total miles = 2,053 Round trip
Total MPG = 30.330

Total cost of gas was == $169.51

Mustang was filled up at the same Shell station when I left and again at the same station when I returned.

This is total combined Highway, Heavy stop & go traffic and hills in Pennsylvania

From Port Orange (DAYTONA BEACH) Florida to Shillington / Maple Grove
Pennsylvania and back to Port Orange, Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090063.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	918.0 KB
ID:	194028  
Old 11-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
The mpg displayed is always about 1 mpg lower than when I calculate it myself. As suggested, do your own calculation to get a more accurate number.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 11-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #12

Ok I'm thinking it's the idle factor as I do it a lot at work on break because it's freezing cold overnight here...going reset today and do my own calc. As well
Old 11-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
keep rpm's down and/or move.

I've never hit over 26/27 all hwy. I tend to get 22-24 semi-rural/hwy mix. I cruise at 2k (lower = lugs if you try to accel) same car as yours

Instead of the MPG figure out the FPG (Fun Per Gallon) you'll feel better.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
For the past two-three weeks I have been keeping track of my mpg. I have stock gears, stock wheels, and super charger. I travel approx. 25 miles to work, half freeway (morning its okay afternoons its as if I'm driving on the street) and half on the street. With this type of driving I am getting 18-19 mpg avg (subtracting mileage divided by # of gals, not using the dash mpg reader). I was a little annoyed thinking it was my supercharger or something. Last weekend, I drove with mild traffic for about 80 miles, between 65-70mph, and NO street and I got approx 28 mpg. So my numbers are right in-line with what Ford says. Good to know also that my supercharger isn't affecting mpg.
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

I get about 17 mpg city driving with my 2011 manual which has a tune and 3.31s. I also don't buy into when people say they get 28-32 avg mpg combined after driving a month or so. Most likely they clear the gauge and take the reading after a long road trip in 1 day.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

None of my mpg's were from road trips, they were from 5,000 miles of daily driving inbetween oil changes. It is possible to get high numbers if you mostly drive highway which I do but you also need to drive conservatively to keep those mpg's. I do not drive that way anymore that's why I'm averaging 25.4. I do agree that a lot of people reset their mpg and go based off a road trip they took instead of accounting for every day driving. Those equal false numbers, because I could easily reset mine, hop on the freeway and I'm averaging 34mpg all of a sudden. I don't manually calculate mine as I truly don't care what I'm averaging because I enjoy driving it too much. I actually keep the screen on how many miles until I'm empty. I do check it just for fun, I've tried slowing down and find it too difficult.i should note that this is the first car I've ever owned that displays the gas mileage so that could have something to do with me not really caring.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have never reset my dash MPG reader. It just seems to never need it.
I have done three tanks of gas and no Highway trips with City and Suburb driving only and averaged 24.8 using the pencil and paper method.

The Computer usually stays around 23 to 27 around town.
Ronnie
Old 11-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #18

I'm not overly concerned with it but seeing a drastic difference between what was being posted i was worried something may be wrong, but now i see they must be grandma driving and idle was seriously bringing avg down.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, driving like a grandma will get you great gas mileage. If your going to do that you might as well buy a Prius.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

had 2 days of commuting trips..one to newark airport and back, then one down to AC and back. love my cruise control, so i was doing that a bunch. about 98% highway..short distances city. pretty good.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I have 3.73 gearing. Around town, I get 15-18. Driving to and from Cleveland to Boca Raton, I got almost 26 for the entire trip, and that included some town driving. I run 93 octane with a Bama Race tune.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I get around 20 around town having fun but on the highway is what makes me love the car. I usually get between 30-34 MPG's highway and its still a fun car to drive.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:25 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I live in the philly area and avg about 15.5-17. Highway is pretty tru to the sticker. But, the car is a blast to drive so it's worth the trade off

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang