effect of wheel size on performance - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2015, 03:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
effect of wheel size on performance

Once i bought my 19" staggered tires i felt as if i slowed my car down significantly like if i tried to floor it from a stop id rip my drivetrain apart, an it got me thinking maybe its too much wheel an tire for the car (using the mickey thompson street tires) i tried looking into the performance difference between 17 18 and 19 inch, as well as tire size and i havent had much luck.

for starters i havent checked if the total wheel diameter between the stock and new 19in wheels with mickey thompsons are actually the same, or really looked at the weight comparison for rotational mass difference.

Im not talking about cornering ability or handling but is there a difference in acceleration and overall speed performance between the 18 and 19's thats worth a swap? just using the 18 and 19 as a refrence considering those are the two AM offers the most options for. (however i did notice when reading through a lot of guys with FI 4 cylinders perfered 17in rims with street tires for performance DD)
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 04:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have 275/40 19's on all 4 corners of mine in the Ford Racing Boss 302's wheels, the biggest think I noticed was a slight drop in MPG with more rubber on the road, but they make up for it with much better handling.
Go make a quick trip to Elsinore across Ortega Highway and see how it does
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

It's not so much the larger diameter wheel but generally when you go up in wheel diameter and width you are adding a fair amount of weight. While it may seem small since wheels are rotating mass it's even more critical. This is one of the big reasons I am keeping my stock 17s although I may consider going up to a set of 18x8s. Although not the best looking rims the 225s do complement the stock performance the best IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
It's not so much the larger diameter wheel but generally when you go up in wheel diameter and width you are adding a fair amount of weight. While it may seem small since wheels are rotating mass it's even more critical. This is one of the big reasons I am keeping my stock 17s although I may consider going up to a set of 18x8s. Although not the best looking rims the 225s do complement the stock performance the best IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Likewise, I really love the look of 20" wheels on our cars but my 18" allow for up to a 255 tire and too be honest o don't think anything wider is going to help me in any way on the streets. If you drag a lot then great it will help. You also want to look at the weight of each wheels as Starz is saying. It's critical on your acceleration.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Really everyone here has already answered your questions, i would just like to tack on a bit.

1. Assuming you did get a combination that is taller than stock, you have effectively added more gear. For example, if you still have 2.73s and add a taller tire you may now have a 2.70, or 2.65 for example. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, i havent actually bothered to do the math, but you get the idea.

2. Also, as someone mentioned, the added weight. That weight is rotational so it will make every part of driving your car harder, acceleration, stopping, turning. Another thing to consider though is you've now moved a large majority of that weight into both a wider arc (17" diameter to 19") as well as further from the center point (the hub). Both of those factors as well make it harder to cope with the additional weight.

We had a thread on it a while back, and i cant quite remember what it was called, but there were some very good links in there discussing this. I was quoting just the rule of thumb that i had heard that "1 lb of rotational is about the same as 4 lbs of static weight," but some of the links we found proved otherwise. Maybe someone will remember what thread that was, but im drawing a blank.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware

For me, I was actually able to make going from 18s to 19s lighter and smaller diameter which really helped.

I went with the 19" premium GT rims and continental contipro 255/40/19s. I was able to shave ~5 lbs per wheel and they're almost 1" smaller in diameter.

I forget exactly how much it shaved off in the 1/4 mile, but it was noticeable.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you I really appreciate the help with the questions once again I I think I will look into downsizing to 18's possibly right now I have the 19in staggered setup with Mikey Thompson tires and a 4.10 different ratio with the exact lsd, I just ordered a set of 3.55's since I plan on supercharging in the near future, also the 4.10 makes first gear pretty useless for the most part thanks for the advice though it's much appreciated

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 11-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I've got my old stock wheels in storage right now I'll have to take a look at diameter an weight as well as my old 2 piece driveshaft and compare that to the new stuff I'll post it on this thread to show the difference incase anyone is interested

Old 11-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Off topic but for this forum it might be a bit easier if we categorize things down even more in each forum so the parts group of the cars

ie if I'm looking for info on drivetrain I go to that section or wheels or interior etc

Might not work or be too complicated but just a thought, I did have trouble finding stuff online even when I took voltwings advice an searched in Google
"wheel size affect on performance Mustang evolution"

Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
Off topic but for this forum it might be a bit easier if we categorize things down even more in each forum so the parts group of the cars

ie if I'm looking for info on drivetrain I go to that section or wheels or interior etc

Might not work or be too complicated but just a thought, I did have trouble finding stuff online even when I took voltwings advice an searched in Google
"wheel size affect on performance Mustang evolution"

Use google. I typed exactly: Wheel weight performance mustangevolution
Into google and pulled up these threads, including others:

Performance Difference 19" VS. 20" Wheels?
what's the ideal wheel weight?
Wheel Weight Perform. Notes
What's the real story with wheel size and acceleration?
Does The Diameters of Rims Affect Car Performance ?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I upgraded my 17's to 18x9" American Racing razor's helping my gear to a 2.86:1 as the height of my setup is 26 instead of 28, wheels are 24 lbs instead of 28 and I too have the 1 piece shaft by DSS 3.5" shaving 20 lbs. Also did Bassani exhaust 30 lbs vs stock mufflers @ 40 lbs apiece.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang