Mustang vs Snow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Mustang vs Snow

Mustang WINS!!!!

I was a little nervous because although I had a RWD Caddy CTS before this and had winter tread on it, the Mustang has a good 60 hp more with considerably less weight, plus a wider wheel.

I had General Altimax winter tread on my CTS and the stopping power was awesome but the starting grip was still a little weak in the snow/ice. This time I got some Yokohama Iceguards and put them on early November. The temps were still in the 50s for highs and when it rained these tires were worthless. Broke loose extremely easily, to the point of being dangerous.

BUT, once the temp dropped below 35 everything changed. We had a whopper of a snow/ice/blizzard a couple of weeks ago and I was zipping past FWD cars on steep hills and handling everything the storm threw at me with ZERO setbacks. I even passed some dumbass in a newer Camaro with summer tread on that was completely screwed (I had my young daughter with me or I would have helped).

We have had two good snows now and I know people are wondering how a Mustang is zipping around in the snow/ice with no issues... but this car is set up very well for winter as long as you get a good set of snow tires.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Lol crazy man. Was wondering where you been on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 12-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have driven my Mustangs through every snow storm past 6 years. Snow from 6" up to 3'-5'.
Of course plowed on highway, leaving about 2"-4" packed.
Blessed, never got stuck but all I know is that my 2 Mustangs shoot snow up in the air behind me a good 12' high as I'm moving cautiously down the road.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Nice!

Yeah I have never had an issue either, when I lived in PA. Just throw a decent set of winter tires on (I had Firestone Winterforce) and you shouldn't have any issue as long as you know how to drive in the snow, haha.

My winter's will forever be in storage while I'm here in TN, apparently they mostly get ice here and everything shuts down where I am, so there's no point.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've had winterforces on mine the last three years. Pretty good in snow dicier in icy conditions. I put two 45# plates in the trunk and 2 25# plates in the rear passenger floor area which really helped with traction at starts. Just bought a set of the generals for this year, just waiting for a little more cold before putting them on. Reviews indicated a little better ice traction on those.

jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomcgui View Post
I've had winterforces on mine the last three years. Pretty good in snow dicier in icy conditions. I put two 45# plates in the trunk and 2 25# plates in the rear passenger floor area which really helped with traction at starts. Just bought a set of the generals for this year, just waiting for a little more cold before putting them on. Reviews indicated a little better ice traction on those.

LMK what you think of the Generals. As I said I had them on my CTS and wasn't overly impressed with snow/ice traction on acceleration. These Yokohamas are MUCH better in that respect.

Also, I too have two 45 pound plates in the trunk... I think it makes a big difference as well.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got the generals put on. The winterforces that came off were at 7/32 so still had some decent cold weather grip. Worked ok in the most recent slush fest we got a couple weeks ago. So far weathe has been seasonally cold but dry. The generals performed as expected in these conditions. Hopefully we get some snow so I can see how these perform in snowier conditions.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I live in CT and don't take my Mustang out in the snow, but even with good snow tires an issue could be ground clearance. If you have lowered the car you will catch more snow up under the car and slow down your progress. I would recommend studded snow tires to help in the ice traction. You loose some dry grip, but shouldn't be running snow tires hard anyway.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
I live in CT and don't take my Mustang out in the snow, but even with good snow tires an issue could be ground clearance. If you have lowered the car you will catch more snow up under the car and slow down your progress. I would recommend studded snow tires to help in the ice traction. You loose some dry grip, but shouldn't be running snow tires hard anyway.
I have snow tires and you definitely do not need studded tires to get around. I've drove in upper Midwest winters my whole life and these automatic V6s are impressive tackling snow and ice. I think the advancetrack and the dumbing down of initial torque actually did some good when considering winter.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I just like the braking advantage with the studs. They were great on my Merkur XR4TI
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
I just like the breaking advantage with the studs. They were great on my Merkur XR4TI
I have stellar snow/ice breaking without the studs and frankly as it is now I get nervous about being rear ended by some idiot with bald all-seasons. I drive smart enough to not need extra braking power than I have now and this way the handling is much better when dry.

Even the worst winters there is only snow/ice on the road for a combined 2 or 3 weeks. Dry roads are a majority of the winters were I live.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

During the little slush storm we had recently, I had to turn off the traction control completely to get a good drift around neighborhood corners. And that was on the worn winterforces. If we get more than 8 inches of unpacked snow the mustang does snowplow. We had a big dump last Super Bowl Sunday and almost got stuck while doing doughnuts at work in the unpacked parts of our work parking lot. Not sure studs are allowable in this part of Michigan ( metro Detroit )

Old 01-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Had a wet snow fall this morning that eventually froze after temps dropped into the teens. Neighborhood streets were icy. The generals worked decently in these conditions. There was predictable slippage going around corners. Traction control kicked on and kept the car going straight. Went up slight icy inclines with no problem. Stopping was predictable. Overall these tires work as expected. They seem to work better on ice than the winterforces which was what I was looking for.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I've just become too spoiled by 4WD. We recently got a glazing of ice topped with 1-2" of snow. I barely made it around my block in a straight line. I'm generally pretty gentle on the throttle too. My truck on the other hand eats it up. Maybe I just need more RWD practice...and replacing stock tires with snow tires are never a bad option.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugeismo View Post
Maybe I've just become too spoiled by 4WD. We recently got a glazing of ice topped with 1-2" of snow. I barely made it around my block in a straight line. I'm generally pretty gentle on the throttle too. My truck on the other hand eats it up. Maybe I just need more RWD practice...and replacing stock tires with snow tires are never a bad option.
How do the vehicles compare when in braking or non accelerating modes? This would be more tire type related.
Tires can make a world of difference but of course, when accelerating, 4 wheels is always better than 2, tire traction being equal.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang