V6 Fog light kit help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
V6 Fog light kit help

I'm wanting to add the lower fog lights to my 2013 v6 Mustang. I found this kit from Ford on eBay for $125 but it says GT only. It comes with the plastic surround and the lights so I don't see how it would not fit my v6 bumper. Does anyone know the difference or where I can find a v6 dog light kit for around the same price? Also is this a hard project? Thanks guys.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449175892.426404.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	194342

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 93 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
That will fit fine, the front bumper is the same on the GT and V6. The reason it says GT in the ad is probably it is the GT/CS fog light. But the V6 Pony and MCA use the same fog light kit as the GT/CS. You will need some wiring and a switch of course.

But the fog light assembly simply replaces the louvers that are already on your car. Pull those off and put these in.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds easy enough, it comes with the wiring and I believe a switch but I'll make sure. Thank you!

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If I see it right, they plug into the GT fogs and use the existing harness. The wires they are showing look just long enough to get to the grille.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I thought they all came stock with fog lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Brandonb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I got that kit from the same dealer. It says GT because it is a "relocation kit" for GTs. It works & fits just fine. The wiring included with the kit is from the GT fogs in the grill to the valance in our V6, thus they are quite short, I had to splice in a foot or so to reach my left fog.. You will need a switch (Amazon had factory 9R3Z-11654-CA switch that has fog position) for best price I found at the time. There are videos on youtube on changing the switch. I got a wiring harness from another vendor on eBay, believe it was $124 & it came out of Michigan. Looks exactly like it is a Ford harness. I'll add the link if I find it is still there.
FYI, I added a relay on mine. That way the fogs get full battery voltage directly from a spare "hot all time" fuse box lug + it enables you to uses them when hi-beams are on. (can pm photos of fuse box & relay if needed)
ALSO - many will say you have to remove front bumper. I did not. I put my car on front ramps, removed the bottom plastic piece & the plastic piece that covers the radiator. Took most of the day for me, but I'm older & really picky about my work.
There are also two schools of thought on wiring them. I've seen some just wire to side marker light and complain about how dim they are. I had very good luck with a relay that uses switch voltage to operate and cuts thru battery voltage thru heaver gauge wire to the fogs. Some also say to cut wires at the switch, others say splice at the switch. When I inquired why brand X said cut, they advised so current would not back up to the computer module in the passenger foot well. If your car never had factory fog lights I don't believe that should be an issue. I used T-splices and mine work just fine. I did add an inline fuse to the relay just for safety.
Sorry for rambling, just trying to cover all bases. Good luck.
Didn't see the wiring harness I got but this one includes the switch & relay. Says for a 2013. A little more than I paid, but all I see now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-MUSTANG...DzwGmA&vxp=mtr
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonb2012 View Post
I thought they all came stock with fog lights?

Nope, they came with V6 Pony Pkg & MCA Pkg as far as I know. My v6 Vert Premium with only option being an auto trans did not have factory fogs. (it does now)
Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
I got that kit from the same dealer. It says GT because it is a "relocation kit" for GTs. It works & fits just fine. The wiring included with the kit is from the GT fogs in the grill to the valance in our V6, thus they are quite short, I had to splice in a foot or so to reach my left fog.. You will need a switch (Amazon had factory 9R3Z-11654-CA switch that has fog position) for best price I found at the time. There are videos on youtube on changing the switch. I got a wiring harness from another vendor on eBay, believe it was $124 & it came out of Michigan. Looks exactly like it is a Ford harness. I'll add the link if I find it is still there.
FYI, I added a relay on mine. That way the fogs get full battery voltage directly from a spare "hot all time" fuse box lug + it enables you to uses them when hi-beams are on. (can pm photos of fuse box & relay if needed)
ALSO - many will say you have to remove front bumper. I did not. I put my car on front ramps, removed the bottom plastic piece & the plastic piece that covers the radiator. Took most of the day for me, but I'm older & really picky about my work.
There are also two schools of thought on wiring them. I've seen some just wire to side marker light and complain about how dim they are. I had very good luck with a relay that uses switch voltage to operate and cuts thru battery voltage thru heaver gauge wire to the fogs. Some also say to cut wires at the switch, others say splice at the switch. When I inquired why brand X said cut, they advised so current would not back up to the computer module in the passenger foot well. If your car never had factory fog lights I don't believe that should be an issue. I used T-splices and mine work just fine. I did add an inline fuse to the relay just for safety.
Sorry for rambling, just trying to cover all bases. Good luck.
Didn't see the wiring harness I got but this one includes the switch & relay. Says for a 2013. A little more than I paid, but all I see now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-MUSTANG...DzwGmA&vxp=mtr

Thank you very very much for this write up.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well **** I should've just bought me the bare bones and added all the other features on myself and saved a bunch of money lol anyone have a mod for the MyColor system?

Brandonb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My 14 base model didn't come with fog lights as an option. So I went out and got some after market "bling Lights" with in 3 weeks one light already burnt out, plus they didn't fit in the OEM plastic housing area like I thought they might, what a huge disappointment. Just bought the "fog light kit" for 14 V6 models for $399 from American Muscle. Hope these lights work A lot better, I think I should of went with the American Muscle set up from the start probably would have saved me time and money. Chalk it up as a "Live & Learn" experience I guess !
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

399 is a ton for these lights though man. My whole kit was like $150 max and it's the same exact thing. OEM brand new part from Ford.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Whole heartly agree with Chaz12. eBay OEM Ford parts for lites & brackets, Amazon for OEM switch & eBay for harness & relay. Granted a little bit of hunt & peck, but saves big dollars.
Good luck with the install.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

When I talked to the Ford dealer in my area, the guy said that they didn't have "Fog light kits" available for the model, which is hard to believe. No luck with Ford dealer so went with "American Muscle". I have bought a bunch of stuff from them in the past and have had no problems. $399 is a bit much, but at least it will fit properly and look great.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I had to buy three parts. The lites & brackets were a OEM Ford part.
2013 2014 Ford Mustang GT Genuine Ford Parts Fog Lamp Light Kit Complete | eBay

Got OEM switch from Amazon
Got harness with relay from eBay.

PM if you have questions with the install. I've done it.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I actually just installed one of those kits in my V6 this weekend. Paid $129 shipped for the light kit, then I had to buy wire, loom, relays, and a fog light headlight switch. Built a 2 relay harness like they sell at Starkey for there kits. First relay is tripped by a hot wire that is only hot when the key is on and the second one is tripped by the fog light switch (well it should have been, but I got a bad switch so I had to install a toggle switch temporarily). After both are on, it sends power to the fog lights.
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, it seems like the $129 price is a good deal, but had to get some other things in addition as well. I'm hoping these fog light "Plug & Play Kits" from American Muscle comes with everything you need when doing the install. For $399 hopefully it should, good news is they just sent an e-mail to me saying they already shipped it out. Hope to get it sometime early this week.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I spent a total of $200 shipped for everything but you have to build your own harness... Looks just like the ones you get got $399.99 too. Like i said, got a bad switch, but thinking of doing things differently anyways since with their kit you can have them on without the headlights on and you have to turn them on and off anytime the key is turned on. Is rather have to have the lights on so they will turn on with the automatic lights.
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The ones that American Muscle sell come with a replacement dial for where the headlights are so you can turn them on and off. They also stay on when you click into hi-beam mode. Here's the AM video link that sold me http://http://youtu.be/BDAigW4Xjac
Old 04-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
I had to buy three parts. The lites & brackets were a OEM Ford part.
2013 2014 Ford Mustang GT Genuine Ford Parts Fog Lamp Light Kit Complete | eBay

Got OEM switch from Amazon
Got harness with relay from eBay.

PM if you have questions with the install. I've done it.

Will this for the 2012 or have a link for 2012 kit?
Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
Will this for the 2012 or have a link for 2012 kit?
The 13-14 kit will not fit a 2012.

Looks like this is what you need all in one package.
2010 2012 Ford Mustang V6 Fog Light Kit 3 7L 4 0L Models | eBay

Starkey has complete kit for $2.00 more. Pricey, but unless you want to build your own harness & relay, hunt a switch, seems like this is the way to go. Starkey also gives you the option for H-11 bulbs.

Also strongly advise against cheap Chinese HID kits.

Hope this helps, but be sure to read details carefully to be sure it is what you need.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I got my kit on eBay from a ford dealership for $150 and I replaced the ugly stick yellow fog lights for HIDS (cheap Chinese ones) and I absolutely love it. They match my headlights and only turn on when my headlights turn on. They have worked perfect since day 1 which was about 3-4 months ago and all for under $175

Old 04-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Will the new switch give base owners auto lights or is something else needed?
Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It did on my 14 Prem (without factory fogs), and also if in the auto mode believe will turn on headlights after wipers have been on a few seconds.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Yes all you will need is the switch. Technically you don't need the kit, you can do like I did and buy the switch for $20 off amazon and have auto lights with it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang