Mustang Evolution Forum banner

91 Octane on 93 Tune?

17K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Fintile 
#1 ·
I really want the 93 Octane Tune on my 2014 Mustang V6 but they only sell 91 Octane here in Phoenix, Arizona.

What would happen if i run the 93 Octane Tune while pumping 91 Octane Gas?

Current Mods are
- Roush CAI
- Roush Axlebacks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
The key thing is understanding the difference in the tunes. A 93 tune is pushed harder than 91 because the higher octane fuel can take it. If you try running a more aggressive tune on gas that isnt up to snuff you will damage your engine.

#7 ·
But on the bright side, you can run 93 octane on an 87 tune safely lol. In all seriousness listen to these guys. I raced a slow maro a couple weeks back and I had the 93 tune on 87 octane. After the race I was getting gas and the car was barely turning over, also it felt like I was driving a 1997 civic. I started freaking out and my check engine light came on a few minutes later and my AFR was at 10.00 and it usually idles around 14 or 15 so I immediately cut the car off and installed the 87 tune and after the car got readjusted it finally started running normal and the check engine light went off. I will tell you this though, that was one of the scariest moments of my life.

Kingkong

#14 ·
Not 100% but you can take certain steps to make sure. For example look at exhaust bolts for signs of being recently replaced, if you buy off a forum see what the guys posts look like. Now at to be 100% sure but there are things you can do that may provide signs that the car was recently put back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#20 ·
Order a 91 octane tune

#22 ·
Exactly. In Florida, I had a 93 tune, and an 87 tune for when I went on road trips. It came in handy on my way up here to Alaska. North Texas and Colorado had 89 at the highest. Here in Alaska, 90 is our Premium octane. :banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.