Car jerking to the left at speed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Car jerking to the left at speed

Yesterday i turned out of a parking lot and accelerated pretty quickly, and all of a sudden my car started jerking hard to the left, it did it for almost a half mile before it stopped. Now any time I'm taking a turn the car feels off, its hard to explain but it just doesn't feel stable. Driving straight it feels like its kind of shaking but it isn't jerking. The day before everything felt fine, so it started happening very suddenly. the only thing i can think of that would have caused a problem is about a month ago a car cut me off and forced me to hit a curb with my driver side wheel doing about 25-30 mph. But it hasn't been acting up at all or driving differently until yesterday. Any ideas what could be causing this? Side note i have 1 inch spacers all the way around but i took my wheels off last night and re-torqued them all and they hadn't backed off or loosed up at all so i don't think that is the cause.

Edit: My buddy told be to look at the wheel hub bearing, doing some research that can be the cause of shaking, but would it cause it to pull hard to the left like that?
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
You could've hit your alignment out of whack.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entities19 View Post
Yesterday i turned out of a parking lot and accelerated pretty quickly, and all of a sudden my car started jerking hard to the left, it did it for almost a half mile before it stopped. Now any time I'm taking a turn the car feels off, its hard to explain but it just doesn't feel stable. Driving straight it feels like its kind of shaking but it isn't jerking. The day before everything felt fine, so it started happening very suddenly. the only thing i can think of that would have caused a problem is about a month ago a car cut me off and forced me to hit a curb with my driver side wheel doing about 25-30 mph. But it hasn't been acting up at all or driving differently until yesterday. Any ideas what could be causing this? Side note i have 1 inch spacers all the way around but i took my wheels off last night and re-torqued them all and they hadn't backed off or loosed up at all so i don't think that is the cause.

Edit: My buddy told be to look at the wheel hub bearing, doing some research that can be the cause of shaking, but would it cause it to pull hard to the left like that?

If you hit a curb at 25-30 you probably did something. It could be several things I'd take it to an alignment shop and see what you got.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's what i figured. But with the way it was jerking and pulling me there's no way its just the alignment, it fell like someone was grabbing my wheel and pulling it left. When i get home from work i'm going to lift the front end up and check the wheel to see if it is the tie rod end or wheel hub bearing. I don't think it could be the axle because if the axle had bent i would have felt that from the moment it happened. Due to how sudden it started acting up i'm decently confident it is the tie rod end
Old 12-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
A good alignment shop can tell you what's bent. And you never know you may get lucky.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
wag...you damaged a bearing that is starting to now fail?

+1 on getting it looked at (asap).
Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
That's what i figured. But with the way it was jerking and pulling me there's no way its just the alignment, it fell like someone was grabbing my wheel and pulling it left. When i get home from work i'm going to lift the front end up and check the wheel to see if it is the tie rod end or wheel hub bearing. I don't think it could be the axle because if the axle had bent i would have felt that from the moment it happened. Due to how sudden it started acting up i'm decently confident it is the tie rod end
The jerking in the steering wheel is probably just road response from the damaged wheel. I'd definitely get it looked at as soon as you can
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I see. Well like i said ill take a look at the tie rods and wheel bearings, if i cant figure it out for sure looks like ill have to take it to the shop.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
My money's on a "bent tie rod".
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Could have broken the sidewall in the tire also!
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Don't wait on finding the problem and fixing it. Sounds likely to be detrimental to drive.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Don't wait on finding the problem and fixing it. Sounds likely to be detrimental to drive.
Yeah but problem is i have to get home to take a loot at it. I work about an hours drive from home. It drove ok this morning, a little shaky but it didn't try pulling on me or anything. Yesterday i pulled out the gas station and as soon as i straightened out on the road i went WOT, and it started violently pulling left, then stopped, and since then has been shaky. Im just going to take it slow on the way home today, and take my gfs car to get whatever parts i may need to fix. If need be ill have my dad come pick it up and take it to the mechanic on his trailer. But im pretty scared to be driving it right now, all i can think of is those cars you see on the side of the road with the wheel folded under
Old 12-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I thought i should add that when it was violently pulling the left, the actual steering wheel didnt move, the whole car was just pulling left AS IF someone was grabbing my steering wheel and yanking it.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
I thought i should add that when it was violently pulling the left, the actual steering wheel didnt move, the whole car was just pulling left AS IF someone was grabbing my steering wheel and yanking it.
Oh, my bad. Having your dad bring it on the trailer is definitely a far better idea than driving it
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds quite different than when I had a bent tie rod.
Best of luck!
Be careful.
And let us know the outcome.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Maybe the EPAS rack got messed up (if so equipped)?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Have the shop check rear control arm bushings, when my 04 was doing that a right upper rear control arm bushing was gone/shredded. Letting the rear end shift when you got on it hard
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Car jerking to the left at speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
Have the shop check rear control arm bushings, when my 04 was doing that a right upper rear control arm bushing was gone/shredded. Letting the rear end shift when you got on it hard

I doubt this is it because the s197s have a 3 link suspension (only one upper control arm for the axle, and two lower control arms) instead of a 4 link ( 2 uppers, 2 lowers) like the previous generations had.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 12-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #19

Region: Michigan
car pulling

From what you describe this could also be a result of a bad or broken belt in your tire. I had a bad belt several years ago, and the problem would act similar to what you are describing. The fact that it comes and goes in severity leads me to think it is not straight up structural, as you should have the symptoms all the time then. Bad belts cause the tire to track back and forth randomly such as your describing. While at the shop have them check your front tires on their machine, they will know in a few seconds if that is the problem.
Baldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

So, OP, what's the verdict from the shop?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
I would look into this. Last winter i hit a curb with my rear wheel doing about the same speed (it was the middle of winter and i was being stupid) and one of my Lower control arm bushings broke. What would happen is the bolt holding the suspension together would slide about a half inch forward or backwards. Depending on if the LCA bolt was in place or not the car would either track perfectly straight or my wheel would be half a turn off and the car would still be tracking straight. Acceleration and braking hard would cause the bolt to move changing the way the car handled.
Brandneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I got the wheels rotated and balanced, they said the tires were good and the wheels weren't bent, but the balance was significantly off. That made it a little better but still not smooth. I took it to a suspension shop and they looked everything over and all he did was I needed an alignment and the front end rotors were warped. I had him do the alignment and again it got a little better, but still not smooth like it used to be. I'll be changing the rotors and brake pads but that shouldn't have anything to do with vibration. Idk if he missed something or not but it still doesn't feel quite right, but that could just be me making things up in my head since I'm convinced there's something else messed up.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got the wheels rotated and balanced, they said the tires were good and the wheels weren't bent, but the balance was significantly off. That made it a little better but still not smooth. I took it to a suspension shop and they looked everything over and all he did was I needed an alignment and the front end rotors were warped. I had him do the alignment and again it got a little better, but still not smooth like it used to be. I'll be changing the rotors and brake pads but that shouldn't have anything to do with vibration. Idk if he missed something or not but it still doesn't feel quite right, but that could just be me making things up in my head since I'm convinced there's something else messed up.

If your rotors are warped, the steering wheel will shake back and fourth while braking. Doesn't usually pull to one side

Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I figured, unless the rotors are warped enough that they are catching the brake pad, making it vibrate at high speeds?

Old 12-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

And now on top of all that, the CEL is on and the code shows catalytic inefficiency, so I have to figure out if a O2 sensor is bad or if one of the cats is bad

Old 12-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And now on top of all that, the CEL is on and the code shows catalytic inefficiency, so I have to figure out if a O2 sensor is bad or if one of the cats is bad

Do you have high flow cats?

Old 12-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, my full set up is bbk shorties, bbk catted x pipe (high flow cats) with roush AB

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

And the airaid cai if that matters

Old 12-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, my full set up is bbk shorties, bbk catted x pipe (high flow cats) with roush AB

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

And the airaid cai if that matters

That's why the engine light is coming on. Make sure to get the proper tune installed to eliminate the code.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to try the spark plug non fouler trick and see how that works

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang