Car jerking to the left at speed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
Car jerking to the left at speed

Yesterday i turned out of a parking lot and accelerated pretty quickly, and all of a sudden my car started jerking hard to the left, it did it for almost a half mile before it stopped. Now any time I'm taking a turn the car feels off, its hard to explain but it just doesn't feel stable. Driving straight it feels like its kind of shaking but it isn't jerking. The day before everything felt fine, so it started happening very suddenly. the only thing i can think of that would have caused a problem is about a month ago a car cut me off and forced me to hit a curb with my driver side wheel doing about 25-30 mph. But it hasn't been acting up at all or driving differently until yesterday. Any ideas what could be causing this? Side note i have 1 inch spacers all the way around but i took my wheels off last night and re-torqued them all and they hadn't backed off or loosed up at all so i don't think that is the cause.

Edit: My buddy told be to look at the wheel hub bearing, doing some research that can be the cause of shaking, but would it cause it to pull hard to the left like that?
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mean14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 594
You could've hit your alignment out of whack.
__________________

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
dave73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mechanicsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entities19 View Post
Yesterday i turned out of a parking lot and accelerated pretty quickly, and all of a sudden my car started jerking hard to the left, it did it for almost a half mile before it stopped. Now any time I'm taking a turn the car feels off, its hard to explain but it just doesn't feel stable. Driving straight it feels like its kind of shaking but it isn't jerking. The day before everything felt fine, so it started happening very suddenly. the only thing i can think of that would have caused a problem is about a month ago a car cut me off and forced me to hit a curb with my driver side wheel doing about 25-30 mph. But it hasn't been acting up at all or driving differently until yesterday. Any ideas what could be causing this? Side note i have 1 inch spacers all the way around but i took my wheels off last night and re-torqued them all and they hadn't backed off or loosed up at all so i don't think that is the cause.

Edit: My buddy told be to look at the wheel hub bearing, doing some research that can be the cause of shaking, but would it cause it to pull hard to the left like that?

If you hit a curb at 25-30 you probably did something. It could be several things I'd take it to an alignment shop and see what you got.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
That's what i figured. But with the way it was jerking and pulling me there's no way its just the alignment, it fell like someone was grabbing my wheel and pulling it left. When i get home from work i'm going to lift the front end up and check the wheel to see if it is the tie rod end or wheel hub bearing. I don't think it could be the axle because if the axle had bent i would have felt that from the moment it happened. Due to how sudden it started acting up i'm decently confident it is the tie rod end
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
dave73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mechanicsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,058
A good alignment shop can tell you what's bent. And you never know you may get lucky.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,022
wag...you damaged a bearing that is starting to now fail?

+1 on getting it looked at (asap).
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
JudenInduven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Fort Collins
Region: Colorado
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entities19 View Post
That's what i figured. But with the way it was jerking and pulling me there's no way its just the alignment, it fell like someone was grabbing my wheel and pulling it left. When i get home from work i'm going to lift the front end up and check the wheel to see if it is the tie rod end or wheel hub bearing. I don't think it could be the axle because if the axle had bent i would have felt that from the moment it happened. Due to how sudden it started acting up i'm decently confident it is the tie rod end
The jerking in the steering wheel is probably just road response from the damaged wheel. I'd definitely get it looked at as soon as you can
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
The chargers are slugs lol
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
I see. Well like i said ill take a look at the tie rods and wheel bearings, if i cant figure it out for sure looks like ill have to take it to the shop.

Thanks for the advice!
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
My money's on a "bent tie rod".
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jbone007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 435
Could have broken the sidewall in the tire also!
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Don't wait on finding the problem and fixing it. Sounds likely to be detrimental to drive.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Don't wait on finding the problem and fixing it. Sounds likely to be detrimental to drive.
Yeah but problem is i have to get home to take a loot at it. I work about an hours drive from home. It drove ok this morning, a little shaky but it didn't try pulling on me or anything. Yesterday i pulled out the gas station and as soon as i straightened out on the road i went WOT, and it started violently pulling left, then stopped, and since then has been shaky. Im just going to take it slow on the way home today, and take my gfs car to get whatever parts i may need to fix. If need be ill have my dad come pick it up and take it to the mechanic on his trailer. But im pretty scared to be driving it right now, all i can think of is those cars you see on the side of the road with the wheel folded under
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
I thought i should add that when it was violently pulling the left, the actual steering wheel didnt move, the whole car was just pulling left AS IF someone was grabbing my steering wheel and yanking it.
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
JudenInduven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Fort Collins
Region: Colorado
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entities19 View Post
I thought i should add that when it was violently pulling the left, the actual steering wheel didnt move, the whole car was just pulling left AS IF someone was grabbing my steering wheel and yanking it.
Oh, my bad. Having your dad bring it on the trailer is definitely a far better idea than driving it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
The chargers are slugs lol
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entities19 View Post
I thought i should add that when it was violently pulling the left, the actual steering wheel didnt move, the whole car was just pulling left AS IF someone was grabbing my steering wheel and yanking it.
Sounds quite different than when I had a bent tie rod.
Best of luck!
Be careful.
And let us know the outcome.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular
 
tym_v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Suck it, Goodell
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,340
Maybe the EPAS rack got messed up (if so equipped)?
__________________
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: HARTWELL LAKE AREA
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 435
Have the shop check rear control arm bushings, when my 04 was doing that a right upper rear control arm bushing was gone/shredded. Letting the rear end shift when you got on it hard
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mean14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 594
Car jerking to the left at speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
Have the shop check rear control arm bushings, when my 04 was doing that a right upper rear control arm bushing was gone/shredded. Letting the rear end shift when you got on it hard

I doubt this is it because the s197s have a 3 link suspension (only one upper control arm for the axle, and two lower control arms) instead of a 4 link ( 2 uppers, 2 lowers) like the previous generations had.
__________________

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Portland
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3
car pulling

From what you describe this could also be a result of a bad or broken belt in your tire. I had a bad belt several years ago, and the problem would act similar to what you are describing. The fact that it comes and goes in severity leads me to think it is not straight up structural, as you should have the symptoms all the time then. Bad belts cause the tire to track back and forth randomly such as your describing. While at the shop have them check your front tires on their machine, they will know in a few seconds if that is the problem.
Baldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular
 
tym_v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Suck it, Goodell
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,340
So, OP, what's the verdict from the shop?
__________________
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Metro Detroit
Region: Michigan
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
Have the shop check rear control arm bushings, when my 04 was doing that a right upper rear control arm bushing was gone/shredded. Letting the rear end shift when you got on it hard
I would look into this. Last winter i hit a curb with my rear wheel doing about the same speed (it was the middle of winter and i was being stupid) and one of my Lower control arm bushings broke. What would happen is the bolt holding the suspension together would slide about a half inch forward or backwards. Depending on if the LCA bolt was in place or not the car would either track perfectly straight or my wheel would be half a turn off and the car would still be tracking straight. Acceleration and braking hard would cause the bolt to move changing the way the car handled.
Brandneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
I got the wheels rotated and balanced, they said the tires were good and the wheels weren't bent, but the balance was significantly off. That made it a little better but still not smooth. I took it to a suspension shop and they looked everything over and all he did was I needed an alignment and the front end rotors were warped. I had him do the alignment and again it got a little better, but still not smooth like it used to be. I'll be changing the rotors and brake pads but that shouldn't have anything to do with vibration. Idk if he missed something or not but it still doesn't feel quite right, but that could just be me making things up in my head since I'm convinced there's something else messed up.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mean14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entities19 View Post
I got the wheels rotated and balanced, they said the tires were good and the wheels weren't bent, but the balance was significantly off. That made it a little better but still not smooth. I took it to a suspension shop and they looked everything over and all he did was I needed an alignment and the front end rotors were warped. I had him do the alignment and again it got a little better, but still not smooth like it used to be. I'll be changing the rotors and brake pads but that shouldn't have anything to do with vibration. Idk if he missed something or not but it still doesn't feel quite right, but that could just be me making things up in my head since I'm convinced there's something else messed up.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

If your rotors are warped, the steering wheel will shake back and fourth while braking. Doesn't usually pull to one side
__________________

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
Yeah that's what I figured, unless the rotors are warped enough that they are catching the brake pad, making it vibrate at high speeds?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
And now on top of all that, the CEL is on and the code shows catalytic inefficiency, so I have to figure out if a O2 sensor is bad or if one of the cats is bad


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mean14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entities19 View Post
And now on top of all that, the CEL is on and the code shows catalytic inefficiency, so I have to figure out if a O2 sensor is bad or if one of the cats is bad


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Do you have high flow cats?
__________________

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
Yes, my full set up is bbk shorties, bbk catted x pipe (high flow cats) with roush AB


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

And the airaid cai if that matters


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mean14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entities19 View Post
Yes, my full set up is bbk shorties, bbk catted x pipe (high flow cats) with roush AB


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

And the airaid cai if that matters


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

That's why the engine light is coming on. Make sure to get the proper tune installed to eliminate the code.
__________________

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Entities19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 63
I'm going to try the spark plug non fouler trick and see how that works


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hard hesitation, and jerking jorge gonzalez 2.3 Mustang 0 05-03-2013 08:05 PM
Buying new car/ jerking/ question/ freash meat JonnyBoy101 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 27 02-06-2013 06:13 AM
Jerking at low RPMs sLbxO143 General Mustang Discussion 0 12-07-2012 04:09 PM
Loss power and overheat, jerking, please help!!! kevpar07 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 09-08-2007 11:25 PM
jerking problem whitev6stang03 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 20 01-12-2007 08:44 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:27 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.