Rolling back the miles - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Rolling back the miles

Sup guys, so im looking to get a new cluster for my baby with the My-Color. Iv found a good amount on ebay for good prices too. But a lot of them have WAY more miles than mine does. How would I go about changing that? I have software for the car since I work at a locksmith company. I have Ford MMP and a CarDAQ to be able to program the keys back on. Could I change the mileage through there as well?
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

I would say no. I couldn't even program it with the Ford VCM II tool. You have to have very specialized software for that specific task. Not many companies do this.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I do not believe its that easy. Most people are just using as is or waiting until miles are in line.

Someone on here mentioned in one of the other threads that he sent it to a guy on eBay who re programs airbag computers and he did it for him.

I'm in your same position. I have a cluster with 47k on it but my car has 36k on it. I've owned the cluster since my car had like 22k on it. I've been waiting for the miles to sync up before I stick it on but I am starting to look at other options since the car just went to "toy" status with the purchase of a new daily driver. Now it feels like it will take forever to get the miles up.

Keep us updated on what you end up doing. I will see if I can track down that thread where the guy mentioned the Ebay guy.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I do not believe its that easy. Most people are just using as is or waiting until miles are in line.

Someone on here mentioned in one of the other threads that he sent it to a guy on eBay who re programs airbag computers and he did it for him.

I'm in your same position. I have a cluster with 47k on it but my car has 36k on it. I've owned the cluster since my car had like 22k on it. I've been waiting for the miles to sync up before I stick it on but I am starting to look at other options since the car just went to "toy" status with the purchase of a new daily driver. Now it feels like it will take forever to get the miles up.

Keep us updated on what you end up doing. I will see if I can track down that thread where the guy mentioned the Ebay guy.
Well one of the items im watching is a 2011 cluster (i have a 12) for $110! I find that price unbeatable. But it has 94k miles on and only have like 26 lol. If that maybe even less. Im thinking screw it to be honest just leave it with whatever miles it has and make note of it. Then once time comes in to trade in the car, about 2-3 years, i will just swap it back out. What do you guys think? Dont worry btw, I will still be on the forums just as a V8 owner
Old 12-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Rolling back the miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
Well one of the items im watching is a 2011 cluster (i have a 12) for $110! I find that price unbeatable. But it has 94k miles on and only have like 26 lol. If that maybe even less. Im thinking screw it to be honest just leave it with whatever miles it has and make note of it. Then once time comes in to trade in the car, about 2-3 years, i will just swap it back out. What do you guys think? Dont worry btw, I will still be on the forums just as a V8 owner

When you take the car in for emissions (if you have them), they take note of the miles and then it is filed under the car fax. It will show up with higher miles on the car fax, then when you go to trade it in it will show less. I would say that's a bad idea because the title may be branded "not actual miles" which will drop the value.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
When you take the car in for emissions (if you have them), they take note of the miles and then it is filed under the car fax. It will show up with higher miles on the car fax, then when you go to trade it in it will show less. I would say that's a bad idea because the title may be branded "not actual miles" which will drop the value.
I live in Miami, FL. There arent any emission tests or anything of that sort here. And lets say God forbid I get into an accident, the last two shops didnt report anything to CarFax. Thats Miami for ya! lol. So idk, i guess if something happens it can screw me over. But at the same time it might not. Worst case scenario replace it before its sent out to a body shop for X reason?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
I live in Miami, FL. There arent any emission tests or anything of that sort here. And lets say God forbid I get into an accident, the last two shops didnt report anything to CarFax. Thats Miami for ya! lol. So idk, i guess if something happens it can screw me over. But at the same time it might not. Worst case scenario replace it before its sent out to a body shop for X reason?
Either way, if the risk is worth the reward for you... Go for it!

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Sup guys, so im looking to get a new cluster for my baby with the My-Color. Iv found a good amount on ebay for good prices too. But a lot of them have WAY more miles than mine does. How would I go about changing that? I have software for the car since I work at a locksmith company. I have Ford MMP and a CarDAQ to be able to program the keys back on. Could I change the mileage through there as well?

When your odometer ceases to work, most people assume they must replace the unit, which can get quite expensive. However, you can repair an odometer fairly easily. The odometer stops working because the gear within the odometer has worn out. You'll need no special tools to do this, but you must know what to watch out for or you could permanently damage the speedometer that is housed in the same gauge as the odometer. Don't worry about messing with the car's recorded mileage when you repair an odometer; you will not and cannot change the mileage it has recorded. Also note: the speedometer and odometer are part of the same gauge collectively referred to as the "speedometer gauge."

•Disconnect the negative cable from your car's battery.

•Using a flat head screwdriver, gently pry the gasket around the edge of the face of your speedometer gauge away from the dash and remove the gasket. Pull the entire speedometer gauge out of the dash; be careful not to disconnect the connecting electrical wires when doing this. Once you can reach behind the gauge, note how the wire connects to it and then disconnect it by grasping it near the connection and pulling it free.

•Lay the gauge face down on your work surface and remove the screws from the back of the case with a regular-size Phillips head screwdriver. Once the screws are removed, lift the gauge out of its casing and turn it face up on your work surface.

•Grasp the post that is used to reset the trip odometer and gently pull it from the gauge. Do this slowly; if you feel any resistance as you are pulling, place a finger under the dial of the gauge and press upward where the post passes through and connects into the motor casing. The motor casing will look like a small black plastic box attached to the reverse side of the dial, and will be separate from the metal housing of the gauge that contains the speedometer.

•Remove the speedometer needle by pinching the round base of the needle and turning the needle clockwise until it stops, then pull up slowly and gently while rocking the needle back and forth slightly. It is very easy to bend the needle and it is essential that you take your time doing this step and do not force the needle off.

•Unscrew and remove the two screws in the face of the gauge using one of the mini Phillips head screwdrivers from your computer repair kit. Once the screws are removed, pull the motor casing for the odometer out from the dial.

•Pull the gear pod off the top of the motor casing. The gear pod is attached to the "lid" of the casing and will come off as such.

•Pry the odometer planetary gear from the gear pod using a mini flat head screwdriver from your computer repair kit. Press your replacement gear into position and reassemble the gauge by reversing the steps you took to remove it.

Read more : How to Repair an Odometer | eHow

If this is too complicated for you, take it to the nearest Ford Dealership. They will remove the odometer and send it to one of two companies in the States. One is in Ohio and the other is in California. It will be sent overnight and they will be able to set the correct mileage.

Don't worry about messing with the car's recorded mileage when you repair an odometer; you will not and cannot change the mileage it has recorded.

Good Luck!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Changing the mileage is a Misdemeanor in Florida.

When your odometer ceases to work, most people assume they must replace the unit, which can get quite expensive. However, you can repair an odometer fairly easily. The odometer stops working because the gear within the odometer has worn out. You'll need no special tools to do this, but you must know what to watch out for or you could permanently damage the speedometer that is housed in the same gauge as the odometer. Don't worry about messing with the car's recorded mileage when you repair an odometer; you will not and cannot change the mileage it has recorded. Also note: the speedometer and odometer are part of the same gauge collectively referred to as the "speedometer gauge."

•Disconnect the negative cable from your car's battery.

•Using a flat head screwdriver, gently pry the gasket around the edge of the face of your speedometer gauge away from the dash and remove the gasket. Pull the entire speedometer gauge out of the dash; be careful not to disconnect the connecting electrical wires when doing this. Once you can reach behind the gauge, note how the wire connects to it and then disconnect it by grasping it near the connection and pulling it free.

•Lay the gauge face down on your work surface and remove the screws from the back of the case with a regular-size Phillips head screwdriver. Once the screws are removed, lift the gauge out of its casing and turn it face up on your work surface.

•Grasp the post that is used to reset the trip odometer and gently pull it from the gauge. Do this slowly; if you feel any resistance as you are pulling, place a finger under the dial of the gauge and press upward where the post passes through and connects into the motor casing. The motor casing will look like a small black plastic box attached to the reverse side of the dial, and will be separate from the metal housing of the gauge that contains the speedometer.

•Remove the speedometer needle by pinching the round base of the needle and turning the needle clockwise until it stops, then pull up slowly and gently while rocking the needle back and forth slightly. It is very easy to bend the needle and it is essential that you take your time doing this step and do not force the needle off.

•Unscrew and remove the two screws in the face of the gauge using one of the mini Phillips head screwdrivers from your computer repair kit. Once the screws are removed, pull the motor casing for the odometer out from the dial.

•Pull the gear pod off the top of the motor casing. The gear pod is attached to the "lid" of the casing and will come off as such.

•Pry the odometer planetary gear from the gear pod using a mini flat head screwdriver from your computer repair kit. Press your replacement gear into position and reassemble the gauge by reversing the steps you took to remove it.

Read more : How to Repair an Odometer | eHow

If this is too complicated for you, take it to the nearest Ford Dealership. They will remove the odometer and send it to one of two companies in the States. One is in Ohio and the other is in California. It will be sent overnight and they will be able to set the correct mileage.

Don't worry about messing with the car's recorded mileage when you repair an odometer; you will not and cannot change the mileage it has recorded.

Good Luck!

Maybe this write up comes from Google and would work on a 95 mustang but there is nothing mechanical about these 11-14 gauge pods. I have personally rebuilt a 95 gauge pod and it was simple. But these are not going to be the same. I wish these newer ones were not digital! I was able to "reset" the miles on the one I had rebuilt as it was going to go in a project vehicle with 0 miles...
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Kevin.Cook

It would only be bad if you put in a cluster that has less miles then your current cluster AND you took your car somewhere that documented the miles and reported it to carfax. If your car has 0 history because you are a mutha fuggin BOSS and do your maintenance yourself, then you will have no issues.

My 2014 - i have done all the maintenance myself. So the miles were never reported to carfax. And i did a cluster swap which the miles were not the same. I took it to a few dealerships to get an appraisal. After they checked the car, no one noticed. They thought the miles on the odometer reflected the actual mileage.

Keep in mind the miles are stored in the cluster and not the ecu. Some people mistake this. So unless your cluster itself shows a rollback, or carfax shows odd mileage changes, then no one will know. Because in reality, the swapped cluster IS reflecting its true mileage. Lol

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang