Mustang Evolution Forum banner

3.55 gears and driveshaft

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Sterling S197 
#1 ·
Just got a set of 3.55 gears for my 2012 auto question is i plan on keeping the stock driveshaft and keeping the limiter on i have mpt tunes .Don't plan on racing it so will stock driveshaft be ok with the 3.55 gears ? Thanks for any input

#2 ·
Yes, you will be fine with the stock driveshaft as long as you don't take off the speed limiter. Anything over 115mph and you're asking for trouble.

#6 ·
Any aluminum one piece world be superior to stock.

G
#4 ·
I just got the axle exchange one from AM for $710. I got mine when it was on their monthly sale. Plus AM code. Ended up being like $640.

My auto has 3.73s and the driveshaft held up fine at the drag strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 · (Edited)
Of course the consideration is that the drive shaft turns faster with higher ratio gears and the speedometer has been corrected to represent the speed of the wheels and not the higher speed of the drive shaft. So when and if you were to hit 115 mph your drive shaft would be turning at a speed representing something higher than 115 mph.
I would look into it further if I were you.
Actually, if it was me and I was going from 2.73 to 3.55, I would get the better drive shaft, as many have.
EDIT:When it comes to safety, do your own research and make sure you understand what the potential problems may be.

#9 ·
What's the deal with the 3.7 driveshaft? I take it that it's a different ds than the GT's? What about a GT ds? Would that work?

#10 ·
#11 ·
Thanks diehard. I know I could've searched but it didn't really matter to me other than I have my oem ds I'd let go for cheap if someone wanted it.
Fwiw, I have a shaft masters alum ds on my GT. Been working great for 2 seasons.

#12 ·
You will be fine. I had the 3.55's put in the beginning of spring and went all summer with the stock driveshaft at the strip. I now switched to the aluminum one piece since there is a half mile strip I nearby that I would like to see how fast these 3.7's can really go.

#13 ·
I have 3.73 gears and stock drive shaft with no limiter and I do high speed driving everyday. Ive been to 140mph on the stock drive shaft while racing my friend and I didnt realize how fast I was going. Scared the crap out of me, knowing that the thing blows up. I would say dont go over the speed limiter and youll be good. the farthest I go is around 120.

#15 · (Edited)
I have a '14 PP w/ 3:31's, no engine mods. The stock driveshaft would start vibrating noticeably right at 100, and got worse all the way up to the limiter. I opted to get an Axle Exchange aluminum DS, and have been very pleased with it. I like to do long road trips to the west coast on occasion, and the ability to cruise at *ahem* elevated speeds for long periods of time - with no vibration and no worries - made it worth every penny. Just my experience, so as they say, "Your mileage may vary".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.