Trident Axleback Opinion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Region: New York
Trident Axleback Opinion

There are a few posts I've seen on here for the Trident exhaust does anyone who has this setup have an opinion after having them a while? Contemplating getting this as it's the best to me that I've heard online which is really the only way for me to hear exhausts as there isn't a big mustang community that I know of in my area.
Right now it's between the Tridents and Borla S Touring as I don't want to loud because it is a DD. Thanks in advance
IntoxicatdSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

I had these on for about 3 weeks or so and removed them. They droned way too much. You would think it would be minimal with a stock setup and only 3.31 gears. Unless you have an Auto with 2.73s and plan on never changing the gears, you can get these.

The general consensus was, they make these cars sound very ricer(ish). It is the same sound you hear from those 94-00 Civics with the fart can. Everyone who heard my car commented on how ricey the car sounded. I was going to get Shorty headers and see if that would help cancel some of the sound out. But then I asked myself "Why should I spend more money to fix this?". So I put S Types on my car instead.

You really do get what you pay for. If you want to spend less then $400 on new mufflers, plan to get something that sounds like it came from AutoZone.

I see stuff like Borla Ataks go for $400 or less Used on the Cyclone Parts Exchange facebook page. I picked up a set for my 2014 for $425. That's how I was able to move the S Type to the 2011

So maybe look around for a good used set.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
to mirror what Kevin said, I got used ataks with 8k or so miles on them for 450.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Personally I would go try and listen to as many options as you can, preferably in person, youtube doesn't do any exhaust justice. Once you settle on what you want, then worry about finding a good deal. I found a set of BNIB S-types on these forums for $500.

Good luck in your search!

+1 for Borlas
Old 12-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
Personally I would go try and listen to as many options as you can, preferably in person, youtube doesn't do any exhaust justice. Once you settle on what you want, then worry about finding a good deal. I found a set of BNIB S-types on these forums for $500.

Good luck in your search!

+1 for Borlas
"which is really the only way for me to hear exhausts as there isn't a big mustang community that I know of in my area. "

haha he has nowhere to hear them.

so many people suggest this, yet how are you supposed to round up a bunch of mustang owners with v6's that have the different exhausts you wanna hear? people said the same to me, and i have no idea how to go about it, since there's not a big community here anyway.

so i just watched youtube and got a deal on some atak's. besides, IMO, stingers and ataks sound identical..i originally wanted stingers, but i got this deal, so i got em.

reviews+youtube=good buy. honestly, borla seems to simply be the best out there. no drone is a great thing. i can't even imagine what other exhausts would be like with drone.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 12-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
"which is really the only way for me to hear exhausts as there isn't a big mustang community that I know of in my area. "

haha he has nowhere to hear them.

so many people suggest this, yet how are you supposed to round up a bunch of mustang owners with v6's that have the different exhausts you wanna hear? people said the same to me, and i have no idea how to go about it, since there's not a big community here anyway.

so i just watched youtube and got a deal on some atak's. besides, IMO, stingers and ataks sound identical..i originally wanted stingers, but i got this deal, so i got em.

reviews+youtube=good buy. honestly, borla seems to simply be the best out there. no drone is a great thing. i can't even imagine what other exhausts would be like with drone.
Just because it's not like right down the block, doesn't mean you can't find any. If there's a meet an hour or 2 away on a weekend then why not go check it out if you have the time?

My point is if you hear it in person (both inside and outside of the car) then you eliminate a pretty big variable. The problem I'm trying to help him avoid is buying an exhaust that he ends up not liking because it sounds different in person than what he thought, and then has to go through the trouble of trying to sell it and hopefully not losing any money in the process.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

a lot of people say they don't sound the same as videos, but they pretty much do. I've got a good ear and honestly, the videos I've made of my ataks and seen sound pretty much just like they do in person. idk.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition
Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
I've had the Tridents for a number of months now and actually really like them. Kevin and I go back and forth on them. There is a drone at just over 2k on my car (2.73 gears) which is easy to shift or adjust speed to compensate for. I don't cruise at 80mph for extended periods here in Virginia. While I haven't heard the S-Types folks love so much; I have heard a number of folks comment the Tridents sound similar to them. Then again others say there is no comparison.

Before I pulled the trigger on the Tridents, I think I listened to a slew of videos with different set ups. The videos (there aren't many) of the Tridents sounded pretty close to what I got once I installed them. I made a few videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgD...wMBzmSvRN7Ng_g so that I may be able to help other folks as OCD as I am before taking the plunge.

My deciding factor wasn't the price but $350 Tridents compared to $700 and up others isn't exactly something to ignore either. Hope the videos help you decide. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder!
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #9

thanks @Kevin Cook @Hampton CIT you two are the only ones I've seen on the forum that had these and was hoping for your response but you two made it even more difficult now that your opinions vary lol...I was originally going for the Borla S until I heard the Tridents on youtube. I would love to hear the exhausts in person but unfortunately I currently have a hectic life schedule with 3 kids. Sound is the most important thing I dont want overly loud but something with a deep tone and rumble that most ppl looking to upgrade are looking for. Thank you everyone for your input decisions decisions lol
Old 12-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

I do have a comparison video of both sets of mufflers on my cars side by side. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 12-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #11

link??
Old 12-15-2015, 04:05 AM   #12

nevermind I found it the Borlas def sound better to me thanks
Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 AM   #13
Kevin.Cook

No problem. You won't regret it!

Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thanks Kevin, knew you had tried Tridents. I was about to PM to see how they were. Think I'll go with Borla Touring for my vert with 2.73.

CS Upper/Lower Grill | GT Mufflers | JLT Catch Can | PP Engine Cover | Steeda PH Brace | JDM Adj PH bar | AMR 18x9 Dark Stainless -Cont Contact Sport 235-55x18 | Roush Vent Pod/Oil Pressure Gauge | Airaid MIT - aFe Pro S |MMD Hood Struts | Prev Maint Rear Axle Vent tube, Radiator degass tube
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you're looking for a deep tone that's more of a dd the mac exhaust makes a great deal rumble I get tons of compliments, it sounds like the car looks an should sound, if your at idle you have to pay attention to hear the car, the exhaust doesn't sound ricey at all, the one drawback is it tends to drone a bit not unbearably and only at 80mph @ 3000 rpm

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang