Rear Shock Nut Removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Question Rear Shock Nut Removal

I am having a bit of trouble removing the rear shock nut in the trunk area. I have a Shelby Rear Strut Brace I have tried to install twice without success. The first time it was 3 hours of frustration and a day of being sore from trying to use hand tools with nothing to show for it. I watched a couple of on-line install videos for rear shocks installs and saw the trick of using an impact wrench. Today, armed with the Impact wrench loaded with the 15mm deep socket, I got the nut all the way to the top. With nothing to hold on to, the shock shaft just spun when I used the hand wrench to finish the removal. I was thinking "Now what do I do?"

Keep in mind the only cars I worked on in the past are Slot Cars and Model Cars outside of simple stuff. I'm pretty proud of myself I have installed the Ford Boss Front Strut brace, Interior Boss alcantara boots and wheel, V-6 Engine dress up cover, front wheel mud flaps and the clutch pedal extender so far. But this has me stumped.

So I figured I would ask the sages of Mustang DIY Wisdom what would they do?
Starfighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What you can do is get a piece of rubber, wrap it around the shock rod near the top inside the wheel well, then clamp a pair of vise grips onto that. The rubber will provide grip, and keep you from marring the surface of the rod. Rotate the rod until the vise grips are in contact with the inner fender well, then remove the nut. I have had to do this a few times with some of my older Koni's due to the threads on the nut getting damaged.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
This is a 15minute job. You need to hold the thread with a vise grip and then use a 13mm (or 15mm I forgot) to spin the nut off. If you took an impact to that without even holding the threaded part, you probably did some damage.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I would not put the vise grips on the threads, just because it is easy to damage the threads with the tool.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
I would not put the vise grips on the threads, just because it is easy to damage the threads with the tool.

^^^Yeah my bad I meant to say the nonthreaded** part. There's a little nib to grab on to.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
When i replaced mine on my 09 i used a small like 8- 9 mm on the top of the shock thread to hold it from spinning not sure if that was the wrench size but that how i did it
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Why did you stop the impact wrench before the nut was fully off the shaft? Unless there is some damage to the threads or the shaft/nut is corroded, the impact wrench should easily remove the nut. No need to use a hand wrench for the last few turns. If the impact wrench will not remove it then you can use jande063's suggestion.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
When i replaced mine on my 09 i used a small like 8- 9 mm on the top of the shock thread to hold it from spinning not sure if that was the wrench size but that how i did it
+1 here except I think the shaft top hex fitting is 5mm. This is the way to do it otherwise you'll be
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
And how much torque holds the top nut on? In other cars I've worked on it's pretty low and the nut easily comes off with hand tools.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #10

Thank you for all of your suggestions.
I expected the Impact wrench to remove it all of the way. I suspect I damaged the threads when I follow the directions from Shelby by holding the shock with a crecent wrench while using my 15mm wrench to remove the nut. So when the shock started to spin, I used the crescent wrench to hold the shock while I was able to get the nut to the top, but no further due to the fact I had nothing to hold on to. So I threaded it back down to the recomended 30 ft-lbs. (which is why I was so frustrated in trying to remove it. I'm guessing it was torqued down much more than that in the past)

Jande063 suggestion sounds do-able. I expect if I tried the other side, the one I haven't touched, it will come right off.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yes, jande063's suggestion should work and the other side should come right off with the impact wrench. By the way, I would use the impact wrench to remove nut on the first one also. Just make sure that the vice grip is in contact with the surface that will be holding it in position before you start removing the nut.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There is typically a place on the shock absorber to put a wrench, or a socket, on to prevent the shock from spinning while removing the upper nuts. Sometimes there is a hex fitting directly underneath the bushings on the top of the shock that you will have to access from beneath the car. There is also, usually, a place on the very top of the threaded part to use a socket or a small wrench to hold the shock while removing the nuts.
Specialty Shock Absorber sockets are available for shocks that have an oval fitting on the top of the threaded part.

Lubricate it real good with some penetrating oil and keep trying. You will eventually be triumphant against that pesky shock absorber nut!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Specialty Shock Absorber sockets are available for shocks that have an oval fitting on the top of the threaded part.
Can you recommend one? I tried looking on Amazon and don't know which one would work. Sounds like a handy tool to have in the tool box.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighterace View Post
Can you recommend one? I tried looking on Amazon and don't know which one would work. Sounds like a handy tool to have in the tool box.
I purchased these 30+ years ago off of a Mac tool truck. They were the most popular sizes at that time.
If you ever need a "specialty" tool to make a particular job easier, it is very likely that those guys that drive around selling tools to automotive repair shops (Snap-on, Matco, Mac, etc.) have what you are looking for. That's what they specialize in... Making a mechanics job easier and saving time.
Tools bought from those trucks are never inexpensive though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450725179228.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	195038   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450725211090.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	195039  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1450725256181.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	195040  
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Lol, I had this same problem with my Mach 1. I even broke the top of the shock tip off when I tightened mine down. I had to order another one because I tried to tighten the nut on the shock when it had paint on the threads. I would either thread a nut on the shock outside of the car to clean off the threads or wire brush them or both. Then I would install with lubricant like what was mentioned by others here. Seems like impact tools always have better luck zipping them on and off without holding them. If you know someone with one, I'd borrow it because it will make your install easier.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang