Driving without rear sway bar? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #1

Region: Arkansas
Driving without rear sway bar?

So, the rear sway bar on my 2013 V6 is starting to make clunking and rattling noises and it's driving me nuts. I'm planning to replace it eventually but with the holidays and everything I don't really have to cash to buy a new one nor do I have the time to crawl under there and install it.

I'm curious if I would have any problems driving the car if I removed the sway bar and left it off for a while until I can get a replacement. My daily commute is mostly straight highway and a bit of around town driving. I can't see a problem myself with my type of driving, but you guys might know something I don't.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

Region: Missouri
I took it off my wifes car for 100 miles and nobody noticed
Old 12-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
It is going to cost you a hell of a lot more when you crash because you decided to take off a major suspension component.

Just kidding, you should be alright. But don't be doing any spirited driving or taking turns extremely fast. I would advise against it but if the noise is annoying you that badly, you can always get an exhaust and learn to love the NVH!!

**I am not responsible for any damage that may happen**

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Just take it off. Most drivers would never notice a difference. Front is another story but still not bad. Just a ton of understeer.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Might be just bad bushings not to expensive nor hard to replace also check to make sure everything is tight also
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
At one point sway bars were an option eventually they just made hem standard equipment because so many people ordered them
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:01 AM   #7

Region: Texas
I have the same issue and the parts in my garage waiting for install. I'm not taking it off though until time to do job. Noise won't hurt Anything else...
saxdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I prefer more front bar on my cars for a more neutral feel, removing the rear bar is essentially the same thing. You'll be fine, but IF you do any spirited driving just approach it slowly because the car will handle much differently. I honestly wouldnt recommend going after market on the rear and not the front, because increasing the rear bar rate will have a tendency to make the car more tail happy.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
Might be just bad bushings not to expensive nor hard to replace also check to make sure everything is tight also
+1. My rear end link bushings bit the dust fairly quickly...fairly easy/quick fix.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Driving without rear sway bar?

My sway bar is doing the same thing, but it squeaks and drives me nuts. I am in the same boat, need to replace but don't have the money because of the holidays. So I went under the car and I Tighten some bolts and greased them and the bushings. Helped a little but it still squeaks. Next month I am getting steeda sway bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr3.7 View Post
My sway bar is doing the same thing, but it squeaks and drives me nuts. I am in the same boat, need to replace but don't have the money because of the holidays. So I went under the car and I Tighten some bolts and greased them and the bushings. Helped a little but it still squeaks. Next month I am getting steeda sway bars.

Do you have the stock end links? If so, it's prob the crappy rubber bushings...multiple TSBs.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Invest in the whiteline heavy duty sway bar. It mounts to the axle instead of the body. I changed mine out for the same reason and never had any noises

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
EASY FIX

Turn up the Radio,

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Going to understeer like crazy without a rear bar. Probably not noticeable with normal driving. But just don't take those spiral highway onramps with speed or centrifugal force might get the best of you.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Just take it off. Most drivers would never notice a difference. Front is another story but still not bad. Just a ton of understeer.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Having done this for competition purposes, the S197 does not get too understeery without the rear bar. It actually helps productively put power down at corner exit. Under normal driving, you will likely not notice that it is gone.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
A ford dealership replaced mime under warranty. It haswas squeaking for awhile and replaced the bushings and the problem was solved.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Do you have the stock end links? If so, it's prob the crappy rubber bushings...multiple TSBs.

I didn't even think of that

etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I prefer more front bar on my cars for a more neutral feel, removing the rear bar is essentially the same thing. You'll be fine, but IF you do any spirited driving just approach it slowly because the car will handle much differently. I honestly wouldnt recommend going after market on the rear and not the front, because increasing the rear bar rate will have a tendency to make the car more tail happy.
My aftermarket rear bar is actually softer than the factory bar on the first setting.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr3.7 View Post
I didn't even think of that

If it's a squeak/groan from the back going over bumps at low speeds, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that's the problem--you prob don't need a new bar.

It took me a while to fix (dealer was no help); eventually settled on Steeda end links with poly bushings. Some Teflon sheet wrapped around the bar before installing the bushings was key to keeping everything quiet.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
My aftermarket rear bar is actually softer than the factory bar on the first setting.
Good to know, i wouldnt think that any bar would have that option. Which one? When the time finally comes im thinking of going with that Whiteline rear mentioned above, had my eye on that one for quite some time, and that BMR tubular front.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

The Stranoparts rear bar (made by Hellwig). I have actually been in the process of making a pair of bars for the mustang that are more adjustable than everything else on the market, and are also compatible with various watts links. My design is similar to the Karcepts front and rear bars for the S2000 (new bar that is the first adjustable rear bar for that platform, adjustable with car on the ground in two minutes, clever design).

I like the design of the Whiteline rear, but I would have to fabricate custom axle clamps, so why not just make my own bar while I am at it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang