Put intake on now won't run - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Put intake on now won't run

Have a 2012 mustang 3.7 and was 100% stock and got a CAI for Christmas and of course they got me some one off ebay so think it's just a knock off or whatever. But anyway I installed it and it will start then die. If I unplug the MAF sensor it runs. So my question is do I need a bigger air sensor or what? It ran great before used same sensor and it's clean is there some way I damaged it when installing? To my knowledge there are no air leaks and it's all tight and it is installed correct. Just need to know what to try. I also got a blue tooth obd2 scanner for my phone and haven't been able to use it since right now had to go to family's house but no lights were on when I had the sensor plugged in so don't know if it will tell me anything. Thanks for any help
v6withv8power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Needs a tune. If it's a knock off, I woudn't run it at all. Btw, CAI's are almost useless daily driving these cars, unless heavily modded.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Vacuum leak is the only thing that would cause it to die. That or the MAF ID has changed as someone else has mentioned and it needs to be tuned. When you get your scanner back up let us know what your fuel trims are and that will be a clear indicator.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yup. It requires a tune due to increased air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...565469&alt=web
I think this is the one they got me. And I like the sound of it and might build it anyway. Is there any harm in running it without the maf sensor besides mpg?
Old 12-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you can post a link to the specific intake say would help. From my knowledge steeda is the only company that makes a tune required intake for the v6.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Try to turn the MAF 180 degrees. I promise that is the problem. I bought a knock off intake on eBay for about $100 and installed it, the engine would turn on and then instantly die. I freaked out because my car is a daily driven car and I needed it the next day for school. I tried to flip the MAF sensor and it worked perfect. The MAF sensor was upside down when I put it back on the intake and it caused it to throw out an error.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 93 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #8

Oh I think that's what it was with it upside down! I remember now looking at it and the words being upside down but had to go that way cuz it only went in tht way. Did you flip the tube around or did you re drill new holes or how did you fix it?
Old 12-26-2015, 02:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I believe I had to rotate the intake like 90 or 180 degrees for the MAF sensor to fit right. It was weird and I remember having that problem for sure but I'm 95% sure that is your problem. Play around with it and rotate the intake until the MAF sensor will fit in the right away and it will work

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 93 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
So was that the issue?? Wanna know if this fixed the issue haha.
moto113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I never had such an issue. Got mine for $65 shipped and aside from looking like the Injen model intake it worked just fine. I'm not saying it's NOT the intake but when you in plug your MAF your car runs sounds odd to me.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Its because its just running off the o2 sensor and fuel trims at that point. If the MAF is receiving turbulent air, it will cause more problems than it being unplugged (at least at idle).
Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Its because its just running off the o2 sensor and fuel trims at that point. If the MAF is receiving turbulent air, it will cause more problems than it being unplugged (at least at idle).
Really?! I didn't think the car could run with the MAF sensor unplugged.

OP, I will say the worst thing about these knock offs is the filter. Mine just do happened to come with a visually similar filter to the Injen. I did still buy one separately to make sure it was filtering properly. So that in mind, it could be as what Voltwings was saying as there may just be a leak where it throws the idle trim off enough for it to cut the engine or its a hankie filter and too much air gets through so it thinks it's just open and cuts the MAF then too.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Really?! I didn't think the car could run with the MAF sensor unplugged.

OP, I will say the worst thing about these knock offs is the filter. Mine just do happened to come with a visually similar filter to the Injen. I did still buy one separately to make sure it was filtering properly. So that in mind, it could be as what Voltwings was saying as there may just be a leak where it throws the idle trim off enough for it to cut the engine or its a hankie filter and too much air gets through so it thinks it's just open and cuts the MAF then too.

It wont drive without the MAF, but it will idle.

As far as your second point, i agree that bad filters can cause turbulence and really screw a MAF up, i've seen it and tried to tune around it before and its just not happening. However, as far as "too much air" coming in, that's really not an issue, again, unless its coming in turbulent. MAF sensors are very simple things, but they're very picky when it comes to readings. We've had to put honey comb screens in front of a handful of cars depending on intake design, but thats typically not an issue you see with the mustang MAF sensor (which is actually pretty good as far as they go).
Old 01-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Put the stock intake tube back on and put your MAF back up on ebay for $50 shipped and hope someone bites. CAIs stopped being effective on bolt on Mustangs in 1994.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

OEM Mustang Filter

Click image for larger version

Name:	GT 350.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	195499
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

As far as a looks mod it is great.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

It has to be tuned. Your right. As a straight bolt on its useless. You need to have a proper tune written or a datalog for it to have any noticable effect.
,along with supporting mods like headers and exhaust to name the two basics
Old 01-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
It has to be tuned. Your right. As a straight bolt on its useless. You need to have a proper tune written or a datalog for it to have any noticable effect.
,along with supporting mods like headers and exhaust to name the two basics
No, all the performance gained is in the tune on the newer cars. CAI has literally zero effect.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know, I put my stock intake on while not changing out of the dataloged tune I did with the aftermarket intake and it has issues after 4k rpm. It's a no tune required intake as well so MAF house has nothing to do with it.
I do agree number wise it's not much different than stock and when I'm cruising around town it feels identical, but the overall responsiveness and smoothness it has when climbing up in rpm is much better, but we both know half the guys on here with an aftermarket intake won't do any dataloging and therfore no change will come from it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang