Budget - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Budget

I know this probably has been posted in many other places but I thought I would ask here so I don't have to look for it... What budget should I have to do a decent performance upgrade to my stock 2012 v6? I was thinking about supercharging it , I'm not an expert so I'm sure there's a lot no that would have to be done to accommodate the supercharger things like the drive shaft and other things like that... I'm not necessarily interested in top end speed as much as sheer acceleration of the block. Feel free to give me a list of mods and overall budget thank you in advance

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fab_florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
Well I would personally go for a turbo set up if you are stock, for almost the same amount of money you can have more power, there are a few places that do their own turbo systems, JM performance by Jack Markgraf has a Twin Turbo system he built for a guy on the cyclone page on facebook, and it is pretty nasty, I think it was around 460 rwhp with 10psi. But as far as cost goes, no matter whether SC or Turbo you are looking at a minimum of 6-7k, because not only do you need the system, but then you will need a tune,driveshaft, gears, and if your smart full suspension and new wheels and tires. And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would expect to spend at least 8-9 K between the kit, driveshaft, good dyno tune, and misc stuff like gauges or boost controller if you go turbo. Suspension and tires would be smart but dont need to get running.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I would expect to spend at least 8-9 K between the kit, driveshaft, good dyno tune, and misc stuff like gauges or boost controller if you go turbo. Suspension and tires would be smart but dont need to get running.
Yea you are probably right about that, I was just giving a best case scenario, but yea 8-9k for everything is probably a more reasonable expectation.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you guys

Old 12-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
All of that said, if you want to go faster, and it's a stock v6, do the following:
1 - Get new 3.73 gears.

2 - (if you have manual) Convert the squishy gearbox mount to something more solid. Missing shifts and having to be gentle with it makes for slow acceleration and frustration. Note that it will vibrate like, well, a muscle car afterwards. Some peope whine about excess noise and vibration. Wimps. This isn't a Lexus. Try driving a 60s Mustang and get back to me about vibration and noise

Being able to throw it into 3rd at 5K rpm and not get locked out or grind is most of your acceleration problems solved as the car has plenty of power if you keep the revs at 3K or higher.

* if you have an automatic, trade it for a manual - that's most of your "doesn't go fast" problems solved right there.

3 - Tighten up the handling.( various ways to do this, the #1 though is tires - stock all seasons are terrible )

It shouldn't even cost $1000 to vastly improve the ride and acceleration. The only reason you'd need a supercharger was if you were planning on racing it. But for that money, you should just swap to a same year used V8.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

But the satisfaction of a v6 that's quicker than a v8 and the irritation it causes people plus pride of the work done on your car I'd say is worth more than a v8

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well here is my situation lol... I bought a 2012 v6 automatic convertible and I absolutely love it but I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a little spice.. my budget is around 3-4 g.. I don't mind automatic transmission and keep in mind I was born in Italy so we only had stick shift there 😃 I was just thinking there may be a way to give it more horsepower I don't know air intake gear ratio driveshaft stuff like that? As you can tell I'm nothing mechanically savvy but I'm saving up some money to have more fun

Old 12-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If you only have 3-4 k I would get gears, tune, and some suspension stuff. You won't even be able to get a turbo or supercharger kit for 4 k let alone all the supporting mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thank you

Old 12-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Check out a beginners guide to modifying your v6 lot of useful info there .Its on top of this page..But the most bang for your buck ..1. tune 2 gears 3 suspension....Those three will for sure make you happy . I got the mpt tunes this summer and just got 3,55 gears and front and rear sway bars to install before spring going to be a fun car to drive
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Don't do the air intake, it has miniscule if any performance gains

Old 12-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
All of that said, if you want to go faster, and it's a stock v6, do the following:
1 - Get new 3.73 gears.

2 - (if you have manual) Convert the squishy gearbox mount to something more solid. Missing shifts and having to be gentle with it makes for slow acceleration and frustration. Note that it will vibrate like, well, a muscle car afterwards. Some peope whine about excess noise and vibration. Wimps. This isn't a Lexus. Try driving a 60s Mustang and get back to me about vibration and noise

Being able to throw it into 3rd at 5K rpm and not get locked out or grind is most of your acceleration problems solved as the car has plenty of power if you keep the revs at 3K or higher.

* if you have an automatic, trade it for a manual - that's most of your "doesn't go fast" problems solved right there.

3 - Tighten up the handling.( various ways to do this, the #1 though is tires - stock all seasons are terrible )

It shouldn't even cost $1000 to vastly improve the ride and acceleration. The only reason you'd need a supercharger was if you were planning on racing it. But for that money, you should just swap to a same year used V8.
Except the automatics are faster

To the original poster, regardless of what transmission you have:

-Full exhaust including headers
-Gears
-Suspension
-Tune
-Wheels and tires
-Shifter setup if manual or an aftermarket converter if auto
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the reply everybody, I just thought of something that may narrow down what I was looking for.. I don't really care too much about suspensions or tires as I assume those will make a difference when turning... I just would like to increase the straight line acceleration 0 - 80 , what would you recommend if anything based on my budget of $3-4,000?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Suspension and tires help you get traction off the launch and keep it. They are very important, otherwise you'll get a bunch of wheel hop and tire spin.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab_florida View Post
Thank you for the reply everybody, I just thought of something that may narrow down what I was looking for.. I don't really care too much about suspensions or tires as I assume those will make a difference when turning... I just would like to increase the straight line acceleration 0 - 80 , what would you recommend if anything based on my budget of $3-4,000?

Suspension will help that it's actually not just for turning

Notice when you accelerate and brake hard how the car rocks? That is the cars suspension absorbing your power as you accelerate and brake.

So stiffer suspension lower and upper control arms will hold the body to the wheels and differential better giving you a more rigid car and better launches

Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But for straight line I'd say 3.73 gears (about 600 including install), lower and upper control arms (about 3-600 depending on work done by yourself), headers (about 400 if self installed), xpipe(500 for chatted and self installed), tb (200 self installed), and a tune (2-400 for handheld off Am, 5-600 for custom dyno tune)

Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Just like everyone else has said, suspension is indeed important for straight line performance as well. Maybe you don't have to go all out, but some good quality bmr lca's and the relocation bracket can go a long way.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

400hp car with stock suspension and tires will lose to a 300hp car with suspension and tires. Witness the cammed 2V cars running low 12s at around 285 to the wheels with good setups.

Suspension gets so neglected... and then the owners wonder why their cars are a bucket of fail with all that power.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
400hp car with stock suspension and tires will lose to a 300hp car with suspension and tires. Witness the cammed 2V cars running low 12s at around 285 to the wheels with good setups.

Suspension gets so neglected... and then the owners wonder why their cars are a bucket of fail with all that power.
^ +1

Old 12-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Cool! Hahaaaa! Can't wait

Old 12-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Suspension is often over looked but is equally as important and that twin turbo 600hp motor. Lol. If your can't put the power to the ground than what's the point of having the power.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Suspension should be done FIRST honestly. Well, after the basic bolt ons anyway. This is the case with any model year but I don't know how many cars I see with every freaking bolt on imaginable and stock suspension or just cut springs or something.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I have to agree with Scotty... After an exhaust upgrade "has to sound good lol" next thing is suspension. Between the suspension and tires, that will make your car quicker and have a good platform established for future power adders

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

Keeping the power to the ground is very important. As others have said, suspension seems to be overlooked, but will be the foundation for anything you have planned in the future when you want your "go fast" parts. I have the same idea you do, in that I want my v6 to go turbo / supercharger, but if you're gonna do it you might as well do it once and do it right. From everything I've read it's just a lot more logical to get your suspension right first so that when you get your "go fast" parts you'll be able to enjoy it to it's full potential. BTW finding a nice windy road with a good suspension is a lot of fun, I only have coilovers at the moment, but it makes a huge difference.

Patience will be your friend here. I would listen to the general consensus, these guys have quite a bit of knowledge because they've either done it wrong before or they are just more mechanically savvy.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Suspension suspension suspension
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Plus your not always going to drive in a straight line or go fast . Just some simple suspension mods will make your car that much more fun to drive.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:44 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
1, Start with basic bolt on's
2, do alot of research,
3, buy a bunch of stuff
4, enjoy hahaa

I would suggest the basics, CAI, Tune, Exhaust, tires, suspension
Old 12-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I still find it funny that a lot of ppl think Camaros and mustangs are not able to take corners like the other vehicles in that market... I just reply you read much?

parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerz28 View Post
I still find it funny that a lot of ppl think Camaros and mustangs are not able to take corners like the other vehicles in that market... I just reply you read much?

My charger handles them okay, needs bigger sway bars or anti roll bars whichever way
Old 12-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I still find it funny that a lot of ppl think Camaros and mustangs are not able to take corners like the other vehicles in that market...

Compared to something like even the old Volvo 240 I had years ago, in stock form, it's clearly a muscle car in the corners. When I first got it, I'd have SUVs and even Civics outrun me up the canyon roads. Compared to past Mustangs, it's a massive improvement, but in stock form, the suspension is almost archaic in its simplicity.

Going to 18 inch summer tires was the most dramitic improvement in handling. The stock energy saving all-seasons are a dissapointment meant for cruising and elderly drivers.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang