Raxiom Nav Unit with Bluetooth - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Raxiom Nav Unit with Bluetooth

So I picked up the Raxiom Nav Unity w/ Bluetooth from AM a few weeks back when they had it on sale for 500 clams. Install time was NOT two hours. More like "half a day" aka six hours. Granted running the rear camera wire was over two hours in and of itself. However... This thing is the best damn mod I've done to my car yet. The unit exceeded my expectations in spades. Super clean look and functionality. The one question I searched high and low for prior to purchasing the unit I couldn't find an answer for; let me post it here for the next guy in my boat. The Sync works great but using Sync Services navigation does not work in conjunction with the unit. The Raxiom unit is an independent GPS. Sync Serv nav still works but it's working just like before I did the install, it is verbal/text commands only. On Raxiom unit I get a text overlay that gives next turn when using both systems at once. Overlay is more like an alert overlay. Raxiom GPS picks up satellites quick and clean with minimal delay (5-15 seconds.)

Usual price on the Raxiom unit was $700. At $500, I got a bargain. My only regret is not getting it sooner. Thought about this purchase over the Summer and held back. Monday morning quarterbacking, it would have been worth 700 then. Been using it for a few days now and it's great.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'd never buy anything Raxiom, read way to many complaints about their products. Glad your happy though.
Its a good looking unit but pricey for what it is.
Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I heard a lot of issues with that unit messing up on here.. i really wanted it myself but the price is absolutely ridiculous, and the negative reviews steered me clear. it does look awesome though. glad you like it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I hear that when it works (and stays working) its awesome. For that sort of money I'll take a Pioneer double DIN with mirrorlink anyday everyday and gain the superior audio controls/quality. I'm glad you like your Raxiom unit tho, hopefully yours works for as long as you have the car with no issues.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I hear that when it works (and stays working) its awesome. For that sort of money I'll take a Pioneer double DIN with mirrorlink anyday everyday and gain the superior audio controls/quality.
+1. The Oem radio's in these cars a crap, well at least mine is.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I just install mine I got it for $500. also and it was worth the price for what it is, a 7 inch display with a built in GPS (but it is awesome) but at 700.00 it is a complete rip. Especially since you are retaining you head and sync unit. But I have never used such a customizable and detailed unit. I do agree though I have been working on cars since about 1972 so I know my way around, and I don't see where they get two hours. Like you said running the camera alone was 2 hours. Only real problem I have is sometimes when I hit the cam button nothing appears on the screen and sometimes it takes 30 seconds to switch from Nav to radio or vice versa. But I love the system, be warned though $700 is way too much for this wait for the sale 3 times I seen it drop to $500.
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I'm confused on why it took you two hours just to run the back up camera? There a pretty easy run to do. Should take 20 min at most if you know what your doing.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Getting it under the carpet by th console i unbolted the back end and lifted but but my hand was too big to get under it. Didn't have a socket to fit front bolts so could not take whole console out then drilling trim plate and bumper to run wire through bumper. It can be a process and at first i did attempt to run wire under sill plate like i did on grand prix, sill was a pain to remove. The real pain though was getting the sinc and ac module crammed far enough back in the unit.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Does not sound like you have done enough installs lol. It should only take 20 min to runs the sensor wires and 45/55 for the radio instal.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Part of my two hour install time was "measuring twice, cut once" type of thing. Mounting the camera and running the wire hidden requires some drilling into the rear bumper cover. That and the fish behind body panels (removal then reattaching) and carpet to make it right is where you burn your time. In retrospect, I could have done it in far less time but then you're talking about tucking wires in carpet/panel seams with your fingers. I'm with you Logan on the AC unit and Sync unit. That was a tight fit. I had mine all buttoned up then noticed the USB update cord that runs into the glove box got pulled back in somehow. Undo tuck, push, curse AC/Sync back in place a second them and I was good. I have had a random error that scared me once. Turned nav unit on and got message "no SD card installed". Turning the car off and on fixed it much like a bogas engine temp reading you get every blue moon.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hey bud i done more installs before you were born see since the 70S spaces are tighter more screws and bolts and cacakmaie clips to hold things together and the arthritis creeping into your fingers slow you down a bit. For my age i do pretty good and have a bunch of people less than half my age come here and learn a lot about the classic cars and even the newer ones. Got three full blown (thats changing calipers router swaping in braided lines and painting calipers) going on in the spring. after that its headers i get a following every spring and nobody has been dissapointed yet.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to offend you PAL. No Grendel just seems slow to me to spend two hours on one wire. I worked as an installer for five years and never saw anyone spend two hours on anything. This is just the Internet. No reason to be offended here. I've done thousands of installs and seen it all. There should never be any reason to spend 2 hours on that in my eyes.
And ps

I never take short cuts.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Photos, bro. Photos.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1452129008.493070.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	195525

leather wrapped custom built ported box
Old 01-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Meant in good fun here all - "Logan, I can handle 20prima with the one word defense all us ol' guys love and know to be true... "Kids!"

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Attachment 195525

Nice looking work there brother.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Attachment 195525

Where do u put the groceries ?!!!'

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Meant in good fun here all - "Logan, I can handle 20prima with the one word defense all us ol' guys love and know to be true... "Kids!"

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Nice looking work there brother.

Thanks. There's a lot of pride into my installs. And FYI I'm no kid. I've built several cars ground up in my days. But hey if you want to call me a kid I won't get butt hurt to it. I'm an a$$hole and I'm proud of it. 😄 love me or hate me It won't matter to me.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Where do u put the groceries ?!!!'

That's not my grocery getter lol. That's my clutch dropper.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Anyone under 45 is a kid to me... That's all I have left, don't take my coping mechanism away from me or I'll hit you with the queen mother of ol' guy insults and preface the "kid" with punk.

On a serious note, my hat is off to anyone that does this kid of stuff on a routine basis. There's a lot of required attention to detail that transcends doing it on "my car" here. Hats off to you brother.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Anyone under 45 is a kid to me... That's all I have left, don't take my coping mechanism away from me or I'll hit you with the queen mother of ol' guy insults and preface the "kid" with punk.

On a serious note, my hat is off to anyone that does this kid of stuff on a routine basis. There's a lot of required attention to detail that transcends doing it on "my car" here. Hats off to you brother.

Il take the under 45 thing with a smile on my face. Pushing 40 and I wanna think in young but damn time flys

Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha fair enough bud. Thanks for the compliment though.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Hey there sorry I was a bit short I was reading that message on my phone while I was stuck in dead stopped traffic for nearly 90 minutes, and I was hungry as hell (I would have traded the car for a slice of pizza at the time lol)so I was not i the best of moods. But you guys are kids I am 61
Old 01-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

I may rate as a younger brother, maybe the middle brother then Logan.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang