Thoughts on performing exhaust modifications - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Question Thoughts on performing exhaust modifications

I have a 2013 Mustang V6 coupe with auto tranny. I am considering adding the following exhausts part to my ride, but was wondering if any other v6 stang owners have done the same and what their thoughts/opinions are after making the exhaust upgrade. Thanks for your time and feedback.

1) 73mm Power Plus Throttle Body- 1822
2) 1 3/4" Long Tube Ceramic Header- 16420
3) Short Mid X Pipe With Converters 1461-R
4) Borla Stinger S-Type Catback Exhaust
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The throttle body isnt super beneficial. A short x pipe is for use with long tube headers.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Which is what he has listed.

I'd forget the tb and put the $$$ somewhere else.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Everything on here and other sites from people who know wth they are doing will say do the exhaust, tune, converter and suspension work. No other bolt ons will be worth the money or even offer any improvement. The 5.0 is the same way.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Shorty headers help gain a few torque. Longtubes loose some tprque but gain it the top end hp. I went with shorty headers gears and a tune and ran a 13.2 in the 1/4.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I put on the throttle body and Cai and complete exhaust I'd recommend getting the tb it does make a difference it is noticeable but get your car tuned very soon I put mine on and the difference in air intake from Cai and tb messed with my rpms (idled high, took a while for rpms to settle) and if your doing headers/xpipe get a tune soon after as well
With all of those mods the engine will also breath much better

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just a TB isn't noticeable. With all the other mods, then yeah, it does help, but is generally pointless for the amount the cost.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I had a positive experience with the bigger tb I think it doesn't add much but it's more of a multiplier if you have other mods,
But if your like a couple who posted on here I'd say look at a ported intake manifold from super six motorsports that's similar to the price of a tb but should have a bigger impact (will require a tune) but it will be a multiplier along with the tb

Old 12-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The only other mod is a Cai and the Cai is proven useless, there's no data to say the tb is useless

As for a fact I did install a tb and it made a noticeable difference and I have dyno numbers to prove it

Old 12-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I wanted to find out for myself about the throttle body. I took my 2014 3.7 to the dyno straight from the dealer. Ran it and then took the 68mm stock tb off and bolted on a 80mm and we ran it again and it picked up 2 ft lbs of torque and 1 hp. No other changes were made. Now I have every bolt on mod you can buy (except turbo) and in February my club is having another dyno day and I can't wait to see how much I have picked up .

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
I wanted to find out for myself about the throttle body. I took my 2014 3.7 to the dyno straight from the dealer. Ran it and then took the 68mm stock tb off and bolted on a 80mm and we ran it again and it picked up 2 ft lbs of torque and 1 hp. No other changes were made. Now I have every bolt on mod you can buy (except turbo) and in February my club is having another dyno day and I can't wait to see how much I have picked up .

PaPa....just reading your list of mods and have a couple of questions.
You say, "Needing BBK Shorties & a Tune". Do you have these yet?
Also, when you dyno'd after the install of the throttle body, did you have the spacer you mention in your list, installed at that point?
So I assume no tune with the TB install??

EDIT: Looking forward to seeing results of your next dyno. Include results from you original dyno, if possible. Thanks.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I had to use the spacer so the butterfly would open on the 80mm But at that time the tb & spacer were the only changes. Now , yes I have the BBK shorties , mpt tune, Flowmasters , K&N typhoon Cai, and the spacer with an 80mm tb. Now I will say that from the beginning I liked the throttle response better with the larger tb. It just seems to be a smoother response.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The results from the first trip to the dyno was 260 rwhp. I will post both sheets after the next trip..

Old 12-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
The results from the first trip to the dyno was 260 rwhp. I will post both sheets after the next trip..

Great...thanks for the info.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:28 PM   #15

Region: Texas
From experience get a h pipe. Not a x pipe. I have the s types and with a x pipe the exhaust became very raspy. A h pipe will deepen the tone and make it louder. All your other plans are great.
Paul112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:51 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Everything on here and other sites from people who know wth they are doing will say do the exhaust, tune, converter and suspension work. No other bolt ons will be worth the money or even offer any improvement. The 5.0 is the same way.
Add gears to that list. Out of all the mods I've done, gears are my favorite.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

2nd the gears! Doing mine soon.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Add gears to that list. Out of all the mods I've done, gears are my favorite.
+1. They should have been my first mod. They completely transformed my car!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul112 View Post
From experience get a h pipe. Not a x pipe. I have the s types and with a x pipe the exhaust became very raspy. A h pipe will deepen the tone and make it louder. All your other plans are great.
I don't think they sell H pipes with cats for our mustangs, also they are for 2 different purposes

Old 01-01-2016, 11:17 PM   #20

If I remember correctly MRT makes one.
Paul112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:06 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Smile

Based on the many replies (much appreciated to all) it sounds like you do not get a major performance improvement upgrading the TB and exhaust system for the cost. Also, I have seen other threads where V6 stang owners have mentioned that changing the rear gears made the biggest difference. That being said I will probably still upgrade to the BBK 73mm TB to prevent the Limp Home Mode issue occurring with the OEM Ford TB I have seen members mention in other threads, and change the rear gears. I have been told to upgrade to the Ford Racing 3.73 rear gears by other people I know who own stangs. Wanted to get other members opinion on these gears versus gears from other companies. I also noticed that Ford Racing makes a locking rear differential, is this an additional mod that makes sense with upgrading rear gears? Once I the mods I will definitely perform a tune. I was thinking of purchasing a BAMA tuner with the appropriate custom tune just in case I need additional custom tunes in the future. What are your thoughts on the BAMA tuners or is something better? Thanks ahead of time for your feedback.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Most anything is better than BAMA
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:45 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Most anything is better than BAMA

Bama can be just as good as any other tune if the user actually went through the trouble of data logging in my opinion.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

3.73 is fastest naturally aspirated on our cars there's an old thread a but ago that had the actual 0-60 times of each gear, I have 4.10's an it's too much. Too much shifting to be fast, as for the rear differential there's some great videos on YouTube about how differentials work, I'd suggest watching those and picking a differential, I personally went with an Eaton limited slip differential, and rebuilt it with carbon fiber clutch pads same time as I installed it

Old 01-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Port the upper and lower intake
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I wouldn't jump on the throttle body as a preventive measure although I did my overflow hose and a few shifting improvements as preventive.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

You have some good things there. If you want BIG changes, get gears over the exhaust. Also, I'm a big fan of throttle bodies. Noticeable midrange increase (no dyno just chino feel.) As much of a fan of TBs however, take that money and get a tuner first.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It's been said already, but for your exhaust, everything minus the TB looks good.

I'm not sure of your other plans after the exhaust, but I would personally suggest a suspension modification of either coilovers or a new spring/shock/strut setup. The difference between that versus stock is pretty noticeable, I felt like I was driving a tractor before putting my coilovers on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Tb is a waste of money compared to a tune and gears of your looking for big gains.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust