Limp Home Mode / Wrench Light / Electronic Throttle Body Problem Ford Knows About! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Region: Louisiana
Exclamation Limp Home Mode / Wrench Light / Electronic Throttle Body Problem Ford Knows About!

I almost died on Christmas Day because my 2011 Mustang with 52K miles decided to go into "limp home" mode (wrench light came on) b/c the KNOWN problem with Ford's Electronic Throttle Body. I made it home (a real Christmas Miracle) and brought it to my Ford Dealer on Monday 12/28. Of course I received a call on Tuesday to let me know it WAS the electronic throttle body and it would be 650 dollars to fix it. Even though Ford has a "Customer Satisfaction Program" for 1.6 million cars, MY car, a Mustang, is not on the "list". WTF? Ford, are you waiting for someone to die? Don't be GM and wait for hundreds to die before you admit there is a problem with ALL fords that have a bad electronic throttle control and go into "limp home mode". If we are lucky enough to get home, you should pay. The first person to die's family will get millions, but really Ford, isn't a human life PRICELESS. Do the right thing and pay the dang money to fix it when it happens, b/c if it happens again and God forbid I die, my family will hit the jackpot since you have KNOWN about this problem and the NHTSA has KNOWN too, allowing you to do this "program" instead of what should've been done which is a full blown RECALL. Hope my dream car isn't my worst nightmare. I encourage all Ford owners that have had this problem to report it to Ford at 800-392-3673 and also the NHTSA 888-327-4236 so the Mustang (and any other models) are added to their extended warranty to 10 years/150,000miles for all Ford models affected. Nothing scarier than going 5mph ("limp home Mode") with a carr bearing down on you at 55mph. At least change the name to "About to get killed mode" or "cause a multi car accident mode". Please report any issue...if your model is added to their program, you would be reimbursed for out of pocket expense for repairs done.
Konakajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Thank you for this! I haven't had an issue since I have a BBK TB. But I hope it all works out for ya.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Never heard of have seen anyone have this issue

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Never heard of have seen anyone have this issue

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I did have this happen on my 06. Was driving home from school and it started to sputter and shake. I pulled over and let it cool for about 5-10 min. Then tried again and it drove fine for the rest of the day. I then took it to the dealer that same day and they had to give me a brand new TB. But that was the last time I had that happen. I would think with the newer 3.7 engine, they would have figured that out.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakajun View Post
I almost died on Christmas Day because my 2011 Mustang with 52K miles decided to go into "limp home" mode (wrench light came on) b/c the KNOWN problem with Ford's Electronic Throttle Body. I made it home (a real Christmas Miracle) and brought it to my Ford Dealer on Monday 12/28. Of course I received a call on Tuesday to let me know it WAS the electronic throttle body and it would be 650 dollars to fix it. Even though Ford has a "Customer Satisfaction Program" for 1.6 million cars, MY car, a Mustang, is not on the "list". WTF? Ford, are you waiting for someone to die? Don't be GM and wait for hundreds to die before you admit there is a problem with ALL fords that have a bad electronic throttle control and go into "limp home mode". If we are lucky enough to get home, you should pay. The first person to die's family will get millions, but really Ford, isn't a human life PRICELESS. Do the right thing and pay the dang money to fix it when it happens, b/c if it happens again and God forbid I die, my family will hit the jackpot since you have KNOWN about this problem and the NHTSA has KNOWN too, allowing you to do this "program" instead of what should've been done which is a full blown RECALL. Hope my dream car isn't my worst nightmare. I encourage all Ford owners that have had this problem to report it to Ford at 800-392-3673 and also the NHTSA 888-327-4236 so the Mustang (and any other models) are added to their extended warranty to 10 years/150,000miles for all Ford models affected. Nothing scarier than going 5mph ("limp home Mode") with a carr bearing down on you at 55mph. At least change the name to "About to get killed mode" or "cause a multi car accident mode". Please report any issue...if your model is added to their program, you would be reimbursed for out of pocket expense for repairs done.
Whoa welcome lol.
I agree that is pretty dangerous and ford should be replacing these for effected customers at no charge.
If or when this happens to me I replace it with the bbk tb if it only has to come out of my pocket anyways.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You probably won't die at 5mph bro, lol.. If someone hit you up going 55 well then that would be their fault, not Fords. I do agree tho, if this is a common problem, a recall is in order. Plus side, it still got u home

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Well, this is the company that decided, for the Pinto, that it would be better to pay families of those who died than fix gas tanks that could explode in a rear end collision...

So, not wanting to fix a known design issue is sadly not news.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have to agree with fomoco4life! You got home why didn't you exit the route to a side road. Well I'm glad no one got killed and you got it fixed. A couple of months ago I bought a brand new TB for short dough. The ole lady nagged me for a week. I told her I got a hunch I can use this someday or sell it for 250. Good luck you should be all set.
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My throttle body on my 12 gave out about four months ago or five. I was driving to work and out of nowhere I just hear a few thumps, shaking, and then my car turns off. Turned it on a few times to go back home then to drive it to the dealer. I have the Carmax warranty so I only paid $300. If I would have known I would have just gotten a BBK one and installed it myself.
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #10

I have to give credit to Ford, b/c after I let them know the situation, they agreed to pay a good portion of the repair cost, so my hat's off to them for their quick response. I do hope anyone else that has had the same problem to please report it. And to the person who said I wouldn't have died at 5mph if someone doing 55 hit me while I limped home it would be their fault and not Ford's is an idiot. The point wasn't really that Ford would be responsible...I'd be dead either way. But thanks for the wise advise anway.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #11

Thanks to Ford for paying for majority of repair

Update: Ford decided to do the right thing and pay for most of the repair, so big thanks to them and my dealer Banner Ford.
If you have had this problem and paid for it, contact Ford and the NHTSA to make a complaint and if your model is added to their "Customer Satisfaction Program" your Throttle Body will have a 10year/150,000 mile warranty. If you already paid, they will reimburse you.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have to give credit to Ford, b/c after I let them know the situation, they agreed to pay a good portion of the repair cost, so my hat's off to them for their quick response. I do hope anyone else that has had the same problem to please report it. And to the person who said I wouldn't have died at 5mph if someone doing 55 hit me while I limped home it would be their fault and not Ford's is an idiot. The point wasn't really that Ford would be responsible...I'd be dead either way. But thanks for the wise advise anway.
If ur driving a car that only does 5mph, I'm not sure I would be calling me the idiot, lol. Glad everythings getting taken care of, no need to name call.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

8 months... still no airbag replacement.

Great cars, but make no mistake in believing that Big Business is anything but that.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #14
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Wow, I'd never heard of this being an issue. Crazy stuff.

IG: the_notorious_vig_
Old 12-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
8 months... still no airbag replacement.
To be fair, that's more Takata's fault than Ford's. The incompetence does blow the mind, though
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:40 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
I never heard of this on a Mustang but glad I have the BBK. Weird thing is my wife had same issue with her 2011 V6 Escape two weeks ago. TB was only $100 and I was able to swap it out in 10 mins.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:23 AM   #17
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
$650? I would have just bought the BBK TB.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

This hasn't happened on my mustangs but about two weeks ago it happened on my F150. Took it to the dealer for the fix. They said it was the TB cost me $550 bucks after I negotiated with the servicer writer.
Who did you say I should get in touch with????
Pissed off.
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
You have me very concerned. I own a 2013 Mustang V6 coupe with Ford OEM throttle body for which I have yet to see such problem. Do you know if the TB in my vehicle may be affected? Is there a website that contains info/report so I can check or verify if my vehicle may encounter the same issue. If it is I will definitely write Ford and give them a piece of my mind, and based on the response, may contact my lawyer to see if anything can be done.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwest61 View Post
You have me very concerned. I own a 2013 Mustang V6 coupe with Ford OEM throttle body for which I have yet to see such problem. Do you know if the TB in my vehicle may be affected? Is there a website that contains info/report so I can check or verify if my vehicle may encounter the same issue. If it is I will definitely write Ford and give them a piece of my mind, and based on the response, may contact my lawyer to see if anything can be done.
Easy Cowboy lol. Its not very common but does happen.
I'd be much more concerned about your airbag that can potentially kill you. 😛

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwest61 View Post
You'll save more money time an effort by just replacing it with BBK if you're that worried honestly

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
You'll save more money time an effort by just replacing it with BBK if you're that worried honestly

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I have a BBK TB and love it mostly for the throttle response but you do know that they have exactly the same Ford electronics as the stock one. I would guess that they could glitch out the same way also.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #24

I found out about the problem on carcomplaints.com. It really was for specific models only, not including the mustang, but I did see on many forums that it was an issue, but people were just paying out of pocket. You can also go to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website (or call) to find out about their agreement to not force a recall, but allow Ford to do a "customer satisfaction program", but it only covers 1.6 million cars of particular model, until enough mustang owners report it. Once it is added to the list, it will make ford cover the part for 10 years/150,000 miles. Good luck. I hope it never happens to you, no warning at all the two times it did it while trying to get it to the dealer. I do have to say again that Ford did take care of a portion of the repair.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang